Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

there is this illusion comics are made for kids but the prices say otherwise. the sheer number of variant covers and exclusive covers also say otherwise. they are made for adults with the discretionary income and history of buying them since at least the 80's to pay for them n times over.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    there is this illusion comics are made for kids but the prices say otherwise. the sheer number of variant covers and exclusive covers also say otherwise. they are made for adults with the discretionary income and history of buying them since at least the 80's to pay for them n times over.
    It really is a weird thought process. lol. It's like say books are for kids. No some books are specifically written for kids but even then their parents are buying it and hopefully filtering the content. lol. and do people really think it's fulfilling for talented people with a vision to share and marvel employs a lot of them would be happy to have their stories dumbed down imo as being written for kids or should be written and drawn for kids rather than being the equivalent of what books are but with a visual element. You don't think women would actually buy fabio comics? i mean if they were willing to buy a whole book over a cover of him in a field with a horse imagine what they would pay for a legitimate story but the visuals to match but somehow this stigma kind of exists on main stream comics. Same thing as videogames. Kids don't buy videogames or systems or games they may get to play them but rarely are buying them which imo is why they have been going to micro trans and ingame purchases to target the impulse control of children who at this point are parent's really browsing update content, do they have the time on a game they thought they already did their due diligence on. but i digress . good point.

edit: But i just needed to add not a great point. If spending on a comic is too much buying a burger should be two much. Two comics is the price of one burger depending on what your getting so this isn't a rich man game but it is a content game. The industry itself shouldn't minimize it as being for kids. It took nintendo a long time to shake that image right or wrong. Sometimes just having good content isn't enough when you aren't thinking of package your presenting it in. Why would an adult want to go check out something your pimping as content directly for kids. You have to at least attract the audience first.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-27-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    Indeed. Price of printed media has skyrocketed in these years, not helping is the scarcity of paper at this moment.
    Also checking the age group pool on this same boards you get the feeling that yes comics are not for kids but for age group between 20 to 50...

X-Men's core hardcore reading audience - I look at them like longtime fans of Days of Our Lives or General Hospital. They are tied into the soap opera for life.

The problem is the X-Men line has only been good for certain spots in its history. For fans of just good writing and good stories - you are limited to only a few specific Xmen eras. Claremont run, Peter David XFactor, Morrison's New Xmen, and bits of Whedon and Mike Carey, Hickman's written works - thats literally it.

Hickman finally righted the ship after years of garbage - and they decided to remove him well before his full story was told - now the audience will be stuck once again with only the soap opera junkies. Read an issue like Duggan's Xmen #4 to catch my point - that issue personifies the Xmen mediocrity of the past 20 years. Enjoy. Removing Hickman early is easily one of the dumbest comic management decisions in the history of the medium.
    Last edited by Destro777; 10-31-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    X-Men's core hardcore reading audience - I look at them like longtime fans of Days of Our Lives or General Hospital. They are tied into the soap opera for life.

The problem is the X-Men line has only been good for certain spots in its history. For fans of just good writing and good stories - you are limited to only a few specific Xmen eras. Claremont run, Peter David XFactor, Morrison's New Xmen, and bits of Whedon and Mike Carey, Hickman's written works - thats literally it.

Hickman finally righted the ship after years of garbage - and they decided to remove him well before his full story was told - now the audience will be stuck once again with only the soap opera junkies. Read an issue like Duggan's Xmen #4 to catch my point - that issue personifies the Xmen mediocrity of the past 20 years. Enjoy. Removing Hickman early is easily one of the dumbest comic management decisions in the history of the medium.
    I got news for ya I was one of those soap opera junkies and even I jumped ship a long time ago. A bunch of us did because of one thing or another. I think what your getting now is more fans of certain writers reading the books more than long time fans. Writer comes on and his fans follow. When they leave there fans go with them and Marvel brings on the next writer with a big fanbase hoping his fans will come too. That works to a degree but it also can drive fans away. Personally I hated Morrison's run because all it was a rehash of stuff Claremont had done before and better so I dropped the book. Same with when Bendis was giving his shot. They bring in just as many as they lose. Now Marvel is trying to figure out who they can put on the books that has a big enough fanbase to keep the numbers from crashing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post

I’ve only read the first 4 issues of Duggan’s run, but I think he has done a pretty good job so far. You can tell he is a fan of what Hickman did with the book, and honestly, I’ve been enjoying this Krakoa era too much to really dip out of it now.
    You say that X-men hasn’t been consistently great, and then you go on to mention someone who had a hand in 16 years worth of X-men comics. And the run from Morrison to Carey was about 10 years in on itself. That’s at least 26 years out of 60, which isn’t too bad when you consider that the x-men was a reprint comic for about 5 years and had a further 7 years of being fizzled out of the Marvel Universe.
    I also think you’re looking over some great stuff like Uncanny X-force and Messiah Complex. There’s so much good X-men out there, just like how there’s so much bad X-men out there.

Plus I did enjoy Uncanny Avengers and found it to be the best X-men book for a while.

Asking kids, teens, or anyone to spend 2-5 bucks for a 21 page single over getting a quick snack(god I miss chips for a quarter) is kinda silly.

I dont think there is any good answer aside from pick a side and grow for that audience.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It may have been targeted more to kids in the very, very earlies of the industry, but most comics (especially the X-Men under Claremont) has always skewed towards an older teen/late teen readership because of the content and style of writing. While Claremont hid certain themes in allegory he never dumbed down. A lot of his XM prose required A-level reading and comprehension skills.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!