Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Batgirl

Brendan Fraser to Play Villain in DC's HBO Max Movie

Batgirl has officially found its latest cast member. On Monday, it was announced that actor Brendan Fraser has been cast in the upcoming film, which will make its debut on the HBO Max streaming service. Reports are indicating that Fraser is portraying DC villain Firefly, who had been rumored to be appearing in the movie in some capacity. Fraser will join Leslie Grace (In the Heights) as Barbara Gordon / Batgirl, with J.K. Simmons expected to return as Commissioner James Gordon, and Jacob Scipio (Bad Boys For Life) cast in a currently-unknown role.

Fraser is no stranger to the DC universe, currently providing the voice of Robotman for HBO Max's Doom Patrol TV show. His filmography also includes The Mummy, George of the Jungle, and Monkeybone.

Initially created by Frances Herron and Dick Sprang in 1952's Detective Comics #184, Firefly is also known as Garfield Lynns, and is a pyromaniac supervillain and a recurring villain of the Bat family. Both Firefly and Killer Moth play major roles in the Batgirl: Year One comic miniseries, which redefined Barbara Gordon's origin in the early 2000s. Firefly previously appeared in live-action on the first season of Arrow, where he was portrayed by Andrew Dunbar. A female incarnation of the character, Bridgit Pike, also appeared on Fox's Gotham.

The Batgirl film has been in the works in some capacity since 2017, and has ramped up development in recent months, enlisting Ms. Marvel and Bad Boys For Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to helm the upcoming project. The Batgirl script is written by Christina Hodson, whose work includes Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) and the upcoming The Flash movie.

Definitely going with some Batgirl: Year One vibes by throwing Firefly in there (no Killer Moth?).

I'm kind of wondering how they're going to handle him, especially with Fraser. I love him as an actor, and he's great as Cliff/Robot man, but not sure I see him as Lynns.

Ultimate Member

Not bashing Fraser but it's hard for me right now to see him as any villain. Idk if he's played one.

Aside from that, was Firefly confirmed?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Not bashing Fraser but it's hard for me right now to see him as any villain. Idk if he's played one.

He's playing Firefly

He's a good actor, so I don't doubt that he could play one. But considering they also tried to get Stallone, makes me think this Firefly might be a somewhat sympathetic character. (there's certainly a history of Batman rogues being damaged people rather than outright evil)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He's a good actor, so I don't doubt that he could play one. But considering they also tried to get Stallone, makes me think this Firefly might be a somewhat sympathetic character. (there's certainly a history of Batman rogues being damaged people rather than outright evil)
    Also seems like he's going to be a little...tougher? I usually think of Lynns as being a little lean but Fraser and Stallone definitely aren't.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Until the confirmation of Firefly I was envisioning Fraser as Calendar Man, perhaps one of two villains and his would be the minor one. Perhaps only seen in the opening minutes or first act.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

He played a morally dubious character in the film "the quiet American" so he's not a stranger to it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    He played a morally dubious character in the film "the quiet American" so he's not a stranger to it.
    I haven't seen that one. But I don't think he'll be bad. I was just a little surprised

Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

I've learned the hard way that "mary sue" claims do not come from credible arguments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Not very fond of this particular You Tuber. He is so full of himself, he always negative and full of irony.
    It's ny assuption that he prefers to trash most of the big franchises rather than giving a fair shot on new creators (excluding a very few indvisuals of his own liking).
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-08-2022 at 02:35 AM.

Ahh the good old woke Mary Sue sjws bad video again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Definitely going with some Batgirl: Year One vibes by throwing Firefly in there (no Killer Moth?).
    I guess they wanted Batgirl's first villain take down to still be some insect themed villain and they found that Firefly is much more usable for film then Killer Moth. Heck they couldn't even figure out how to use him in BTAS which was disappointing.
    Last edited by Kid Devil; 10-30-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    I guess they wanted Batgirl's first villain take down to still be some insect themed villain and they found that Firefly is much more usable for film the Killer Moth. Heck they couldn't even figure out how to use him in BTAS which was disappointing.
    Edgy realistic Killer Moth would be kind of hilarious though .