Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

Mighty Member

Default Batgirl

Brendan Fraser to Play Villain in DC's HBO Max Movie

Batgirl has officially found its latest cast member. On Monday, it was announced that actor Brendan Fraser has been cast in the upcoming film, which will make its debut on the HBO Max streaming service. Reports are indicating that Fraser is portraying DC villain Firefly, who had been rumored to be appearing in the movie in some capacity. Fraser will join Leslie Grace (In the Heights) as Barbara Gordon / Batgirl, with J.K. Simmons expected to return as Commissioner James Gordon, and Jacob Scipio (Bad Boys For Life) cast in a currently-unknown role.

Fraser is no stranger to the DC universe, currently providing the voice of Robotman for HBO Max's Doom Patrol TV show. His filmography also includes The Mummy, George of the Jungle, and Monkeybone.

Initially created by Frances Herron and Dick Sprang in 1952's Detective Comics #184, Firefly is also known as Garfield Lynns, and is a pyromaniac supervillain and a recurring villain of the Bat family. Both Firefly and Killer Moth play major roles in the Batgirl: Year One comic miniseries, which redefined Barbara Gordon's origin in the early 2000s. Firefly previously appeared in live-action on the first season of Arrow, where he was portrayed by Andrew Dunbar. A female incarnation of the character, Bridgit Pike, also appeared on Fox's Gotham.

The Batgirl film has been in the works in some capacity since 2017, and has ramped up development in recent months, enlisting Ms. Marvel and Bad Boys For Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah to helm the upcoming project. The Batgirl script is written by Christina Hodson, whose work includes Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) and the upcoming The Flash movie.

Definitely going with some Batgirl: Year One vibes by throwing Firefly in there (no Killer Moth?).

I'm kind of wondering how they're going to handle him, especially with Fraser. I love him as an actor, and he's great as Cliff/Robot man, but not sure I see him as Lynns.

Ultimate Member

Not bashing Fraser but it's hard for me right now to see him as any villain. Idk if he's played one.

Aside from that, was Firefly confirmed?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Not bashing Fraser but it's hard for me right now to see him as any villain. Idk if he's played one.

He's playing Firefly

He's a good actor, so I don't doubt that he could play one. But considering they also tried to get Stallone, makes me think this Firefly might be a somewhat sympathetic character. (there's certainly a history of Batman rogues being damaged people rather than outright evil)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He's a good actor, so I don't doubt that he could play one. But considering they also tried to get Stallone, makes me think this Firefly might be a somewhat sympathetic character. (there's certainly a history of Batman rogues being damaged people rather than outright evil)
    Also seems like he's going to be a little...tougher? I usually think of Lynns as being a little lean but Fraser and Stallone definitely aren't.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Until the confirmation of Firefly I was envisioning Fraser as Calendar Man, perhaps one of two villains and his would be the minor one. Perhaps only seen in the opening minutes or first act.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

I don't think Firefly has been officially confirmed, though

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Considering the recent issues with on set safety I hope the villain isn't Firefly. I don't want him to flame on.

Default Batgirl live-action film for HBO Max

Didn't see a thread for this before. In addition to Leslie Grace playing Batgirl and JK Simmons playing Commissioner Gordon, Brendan Fraser was just cast as Firefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Considering the recent issues with on set safety I hope the villain isn't Firefly. I don't want him to flame on.
    Well, he's a pyromaniac...
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Didn't see a thread for this before. In addition to Leslie Grace playing Batgirl and JK Simmons playing Commissioner Gordon, Brendan Fraser was just cast as Firefly.
    Confirmation that we're getting red hair and cowl .

I don't think Firefly has been officially confirmed, though
    Not confirmed, but Kit works for THR, a very reputable outlet. So he likely has some good sources at WB.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he's a pyromaniac...

Confirmation that we're getting red hair and cowl .
    There's already been whining about 'redhead erasure' before these images even came out. I can just imagine the salt being poured out if her hair isn't red enough in the actual movie

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Not confirmed, but Kit works for THR, a very reputable outlet. So he likely has some good sources at WB.
    Ok. The rumor seems pretty strong so I won't be surprised if it's true

He played a morally dubious character in the film "the quiet American" so he's not a stranger to it.