Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

Not very fond of this particular You Tuber. He is so full of himself, he always negative and full of irony.
    It's ny assuption that he prefers to trash most of the big franchises rather than giving a fair shot on new creators (excluding a very few indvisuals of his own liking).
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-08-2022 at 02:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'll never believe that this film couldn't open in the worst slot on the calendar and not do a $30m weekend opening at minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I guess you've never heard of Halle Berry's Catwoman then.

Also, BoP opened at around $30m and that was considered a bomb.
    So I see the responding folks are just jumping at the $30m number and I guess that's fine, I stick with it that it could open to JUST that and still do well on its $90m budget.
    I highly suggest it would open much better than that. It has so much going for it that Halle Berry's Catwoman did not have, yes I'm aware of that film, I'm an old timer. I'm 46.
    Batgirl has a well cast Commish Gordon, the return of Keaton Batman a comic accurate Batgirl suit with no visible nipples and Brenden Frasier who has been having a strong second act of his career.

Birds of Prey was a film that was not faithful to the source in ways Batgirl is much more so. BoP was just horrid, that film should've been scrapped and New Mutants is not even a parallel example due to the nature of that years of delays. The Suicide Squad dual release has been mentioned.

Batgirl would've been a hit. Period.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So I see the responding folks are just jumping at the $30m number and I guess that's fine, I stick with it that it could open to JUST that and still do well on its $90m budget.
    I highly suggest it would open much better than that. It has so much going for it that Halle Berry's Catwoman did not have, yes I'm aware of that film, I'm an old timer. I'm 46.
    Batgirl has a well cast Commish Gordon, the return of Keaton Batman a comic accurate Batgirl suit with no visible nipples and Brenden Frasier who has been having a strong second act of his career.

Birds of Prey was a film that was not faithful to the source in ways Batgirl is much more so. BoP was just horrid, that film should've been scrapped and New Mutants is not even a parallel example due to the nature of that years of delays. The Suicide Squad dual release has been mentioned.

Really you thought BOP was horrid? I thought it was great myself.

Horrid. I vehemently loathe that film and its treatment of Cassandra Cain if nothing else....and there is more.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Horrid. I vehemently loathe that film and its treatment of Cassandra Cain if nothing else....and there is more.
    Agreed....
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

I still think BOP was seriously fun and funny, but to each their own.

I don't know if this film was going to be good or bad, but it was the only DCEU film I was really interested in, so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

I don't know if this film was going to be good or bad, but it was the only DCEU film I was really interested in, so sad.
    You get this a lot in the comic book film sphere, when people just can’t see past unfaithful translations of their favourite characters at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    You get this a lot in the comic book film sphere, when people just can’t see past unfaithful translations of their favourite characters at all.
    More. But hey focus on the one thing if you want. It was a bad film, some like it, re-watch that thing all you want. Just understand it is more than just some "unfaithful translations" at play for why a larger multitude of folks find it horrid.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Why are you talking about openings for a film that was developed as a HBO max exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

Ahh the good old woke Mary Sue sjws bad video again.

Astonishing Member

It might have done well, it might have bombed, it might have broke even. I don't think Batgirl was a slam dunk like you described. It is a shame it's not going to be released though. I can't believe Madame Web is getting a film while Batgirl sits on the shelf.

No one mentioned Morbius flaming out after a big opening. No sequel for that movie either.

As if the general audience cares about comic accurate costumes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's not like that's an unreasonable reaction depending on the end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    As if the general audience cares about comic accurate costumes.
    Well, they're nice to have...

Extraordinary Member

This actually says something about a difference between WB Films as a studio and DC Comics and WB TV: the comics and TV shows generally think that having the Bat even mentioned = $… and they’re not exactly wrong about that most times.

And I sort of want to use this to make a point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey was a fun and funny Harley Quin movie… but it was a lackluster Birds of Prey prologue, rather than a movie, and arguably a twice over insult to the Batgirl franchise due to creative decisions made *before* the film’s creators got involved. It claimed to involve the BoP without having Barbara Gordon, and it claimed to have Cassandra Cain when the actual character (while well played by the actress) had only an ethnicity in common with the character.

In fact, I’d argue the removal of Babs could be seen as contributing mightily to the BoP being a well-cast but ultimately minimized and moved-past part of the film’s appeal - whether out of a desire to keep Batgirl as a brand separate for its own good or paranoia about Batgirl challenging a film that was always meant to be a Harley Quinn film first-and-foremost, it definitely contributed to the BoP being strictly background in the marketing and main story.

So as a Harley Quinn movie, it’s good!… but it wasn’t supposed to be just a Harley Quinn movie, and thus it’s a debatable BoP film, a flat out bad Cassandra Cain appearance, and a wild missed opportunity for Batgirl.

I think you could see that issue, given your own passionate opinions against The Long Halloween for what we’re, in comparison, far fewer and less obnoxious changes to the story.

…and overall, I think this shows that WB films (and maybe WB TV) is likely still feeding itself the bullshit excuse that Batgirl’s appearance in Batman and Robin proved “people don’t want her” is some bullshit like that, much like how it porbably still colors the idea of actually having Robin present in the films (instead of combining Dick and Jason so that Dick can be dead and barely mentioned in the films - see: the Snyderverse.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP