Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I guess you've never heard of Halle Berry's Catwoman then.

Also, BoP opened at around $30m and that was considered a bomb.
    BoP failed cause it wasn't a BoP movie. It mostly came across as a Margot Robbie vanity project. Instead of making a straight forward HQ movie, or a actual BoP movie they decided to go with some tacky ass movie that was more worried about shallow feminism and anti-male gaze than actually being a good Comic Book movie. As a BoP fan I'll always be bitter about it. The only movie that beats it out in terms of earning my ire is the adaptation of World War Z, yes I'm still angry about that Film lol.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 08-05-2022 at 09:36 PM.

I loved BoP. Funny ass movie, so much better the first Suicide Squad. Now that movie blew.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    BoP failed cause it wasn't a BoP movie. It mostly came across as a Margot Robbie vanity project. Instead of making a straight forward HQ movie, or a actual BoP movie they decided to go with some tacky ass movie that was more worried about shallow feminism and anti-male gaze than actually being a good Comic Book movie. As a BoP fan I'll always be bitter about it. The only movie that beats it out in terms of earning my ire is the adaptation of World War Z, yes I'm still angry about that Film lol.
    BoP was far better than it had any right to be. I agree that it wasn't a real BoP movie, and that it was a Margot Robbie vanity project, but I still largely enjoyed it and really enjoyed Ewan MacGreggor's Black Mask. The only thing I absolutely hated was what they did to Cassandra Cain, and if WB does anything with this 10 year plan, I hope it includes introducing the REAL Cassandra Cain.

Actually, I'd really like for them to adapt the Batgirls comic book. Go ahead and have Leslie Grace be Babs, cast Steph and Cassandra, and let them have an adventure. Of course, I have absolutely no faith that this new administration will greenlight any female-led project, because apparently they don't seem to think women like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WB movies will no longer be on HBO Max 45 days after it's theatrical release

https://collider.com/warner-bros-mov...dow-cancelled/

I swear this guy has it out for Max. Every decision is cutting it off at the knees
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's operating at a loss and theatrical releases are always going to be more valuable. I don't think people understand how deeply mismanaged WB was. Just on that 45 day thing alone they basically blew up their entire relationship with Nolan which was an extremely profitable one.
    Same day and 45 day release to HBO Max made sense at the height of the pandemic, when most theaters were closed (and when they reopened, most people didn't want to risk going). Now that things have gone back to a semblance of normal, from a business standpoint it no longer makes sense to do that. Now the best strategy is to go back to longer theatrical windows. Besides, the deal with HBO Max and the quick releases was only meant to go for a year. It was always going to end eventually.

I think I read that HBO Max lost $1.3 BILLION dollars. Maybe it is a long-term investment, but if they want to keep the overall company profitable, they really can't afford those kinds of losses.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Same day and 45 day release to HBO Max made sense at the height of the pandemic, when most theaters were closed (and when they reopened, most people didn't want to risk going). Now that things have gone back to a semblance of normal, from a business standpoint it no longer makes sense to do that. Now the best strategy is to go back to longer theatrical windows. Besides, the deal with HBO Max and the quick releases was only meant to go for a year. It was always going to end eventually.

I think I read that HBO Max lost $1.3 BILLION dollars. Maybe it is a long-term investment, but if they want to keep the overall company profitable, they really can't afford those kinds of losses.
    You can't expect audiences to go back and stay in theaters after getting used to 45 days.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

When the majority of people get it with out actually paying for it it was never going to be profitable. Don't get me wrong, I love that I get it just for subscribing to a basic cable package but that's just a poor business plan. I don't get Disney+ just because the Disney Channel happens to be in my cable package for instance.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

You really going back on the 45 day window is a good idea during a period of hiring freezes and inflation? Nah man. This move isn't going to get me back in theaters. Investing this heavily into streaming and having to backtrack this hard is not the move.

Astonishing Member

I see no reason for a 45 day release right now. Its stupid. You box yourself in. If Paramount had a 45 day release schedule for Top Gun it would probably lost out on god knows how much money.

Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's an interesting YouTube video I just found where he talks about the terrible Batgirl test screenings.

What makes this video interesting is that it's from a month ago, but is really accurate in terms of what we've heard this week. The video is way before the New York Post story that broke the story into the mainstream. This video gives lots of details as to the plot of the movie and Keaton's participation.

The only issue I have with the video is where he gives his opinion that Batgirl is a Mary Sue because she solves crime with a photographic memory rather than detective skills and that she had Brazilian martial arts training from childhood making her a great natural fighter.

The fact is that Barbara's photographic memory comes from the comics, and she was also a Brown Belt, so the movie did just use and update what really was in the source material.

Still, I enjoyed the video to get more details on the movie and appreciated how accurate he was when no one else was talking about this.

I've learned the hard way that "mary sue" claims do not come from credible arguments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

WB movies will no longer be on HBO Max 45 days after it's theatrical release

https://collider.com/warner-bros-mov...dow-cancelled/

I swear this guy has it out for Max. Every decision is cutting it off at the knees
    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's operating at a loss and theatrical releases are always going to be more valuable. I don't think people understand how deeply mismanaged WB was. Just on that 45 day thing alone they basically blew up their entire relationship with Nolan which was an extremely profitable one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    You can't expect audiences to go back and stay in theaters after getting used to 45 days.
    Top Gun: Maverick says hello. That movie alone proves you can keep a film in theaters for longer than 45 days, and people will still go to see it in theaters.

Not saying I like it, or agree with it. But the 45 day window was always a reaction to the Pandemic. With lockdowns ended and everything opened up again, the studios were going to jump at the chance to go back to how things used to be. And directors and stars want that as well. As mentioned previously, WB blew up their relationship with Nolan over how fast they put films on streaming. ScarJo ended up suing Disney because of how they released Black Widow.

Bat Girl is not a Mary Sue, that is not what a Mary Sue is. She is the main hero. To call her a Mary Sue for solving crimes, while it's okay to turn Batman into a Bat God is horribly sexist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Top Gun: Maverick says hello. That movie alone proves you can keep a film in theaters for longer than 45 days, and people will still go to see it in theaters.

Not saying I like it, or agree with it. But the 45 day window was always a reaction to the Pandemic. With lockdowns ended and everything opened up again, the studios were going to jump at the chance to go back to how things used to be. And directors and stars want that as well. As mentioned previously, WB blew up their relationship with Nolan over how fast they put films on streaming. ScarJo ended up suing Disney because of how they released Black Widow.
    Top Gun Maverick is an outlier. Most movies end their theatrical run within the 45 days and they don't gross the amount of Maverick.

Astonishing Member

Top Gun Maverick is an outlier. Most movies end their theatrical run within the 45 days and they don't gross the amount of Maverick.

True but Its silly to lock into a 45 day release. Minons has been out 36 days. No way should they release it on streaming its still making money. There are movies that can still bring in money. But if you announce oh don't worry wait a month and a half. Your going to lose movie goers for some.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've learned the hard way that "mary sue" claims do not come from credible arguments.
    This is crazy talk.

Batgirl is the protagonist of her story and is obviously the driving force of her story. When the white, male, heterosexual hero carries out these sort of actions, people praise them.

These guys sexism is making them stupid.