Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

Extraordinary Member

Batgirl Movie CANCELLED - The Flash, HBO Max NEXT?! Warner Bros Discovery DC Breakdown

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think going forward WB is going to be a lot more smart about DCU projects
    At there current level, they have nowhere to go but up!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I can’t imagine the shareholders couldn’t have been happy at the news that close to $100 million was effectively flushed down the toilet. No amount of creative bookkeeping can salve such a burn, more often than not, that sort of screwup gets people fired.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

With both batgirl and scoob it was $130m they just lost.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I can’t imagine the shareholders couldn’t have been happy at the news that close to $100 million was effectively flushed down the toilet. No amount of creative bookkeeping can salve such a burn, more often than not, that sort of screwup gets people fired.
    People are making it seems like this was done to PLEASE the shareholders.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    It doesn't matter to them. A minority women being in this role was always gonna make it a target for hate even before it would come out.
    The truth is, the studio heads are not "woke" at all, I'm pretty sure it's quite the opposite.

It's one of those very "obscured" things that a lot of people simply don't think carefully about. People seem to forget that the studio that made "The Equalizer" didn't think a black-male led movie could sell worldwide or how Disney downplayed John Boyega in the poster for Star Wars. Disney in particular has contributed to GOP causes and the likes of Ike Perlmutter are still in the company.

It's quite possible that the new studio heads simply don't believe a female minority-led movie could be a success. A lot of the "One Percenters" that run these studios aren't left-leaning folks at all (again let's not forget Amy Paschal's leaked emails...these guys aren't progressives at all).

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Batgirl Movie CANCELLED - The Flash, HBO Max NEXT?! Warner Bros Discovery DC Breakdown
    Grace always comes with the tea. This will be interesting to watch unfold that’s all I’ll say…

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The truth is, the studio heads are not "woke" at all, I'm pretty sure it's quite the opposite.

It's one of those very "obscured" things that a lot of people simply don't think carefully about. People seem to forget that the studio that made "The Equalizer" didn't think a black-male led movie could sell worldwide or how Disney downplayed John Boyega in the poster for Star Wars. Disney in particular has contributed to GOP causes and the likes of Ike Perlmutter are still in the company.

It's quite possible that the new studio heads simply don't believe a female minority-led movie could be a success. A lot of the "One Percenters" that run these studios aren't left-leaning folks at all (again let's not forget Amy Paschal's leaked emails...these guys aren't progressives at all).
    That's a REALLY good point.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

People are saying ALL of it is done. The Reevesverse, Snyderverse, Hamadaverse, it ALMOST happened to the DUNEverse, or so I heard. Zaslav apparently want to start fresh with DC. Don't understand why DUNE was almost canned tho. But on the other hand they scrapping Scoob, so who knows. Also Bosslogic said there's more terrible news coming.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Astonishing Member

Lots to digest here, even if I admit I was looking forward to The Flash way more than Batgirl, even under the assumption Miller would have to be recast later, and Keaton at least should weather any storm.

For one thing I'm 100% behind the new management's thinking of emphasizing around 20 theatrical releases a year instead of betting all the chips on HBO Max. Elvis and Where The Crawdads Sing from Warner itself and Sony right now show that still works without every movie being a superhero movie, despite we arguably just coming out of the pandemic in jumps and starts.

But what worries me a little from what I've heard is the idea of emphasizing high budget cinematic projects when Joker made a billion bucks with around a 70 million budget and an unconventional formula for a modern comic movie. An expected Joker sequel could afford to have a bigger budget (especially if Lady Gaga is confirmed to be in it), but still.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Lots to digest here, even if I admit I was looking forward to The Flash way more than Batgirl, even under the assumption Miller would have to be recast later, and Keaton at least should weather any storm.

For one thing I'm 100% behind the new management's thinking of emphasizing around 20 theatrical releases a year instead of betting all the chips on HBO Max. Elvis and Where The Crawdads Sing from Warner itself and Sony right now show that still works without every movie being a superhero movie, despite we arguably just coming out of the pandemic in jumps and starts.

But what worries me a little from what I've heard is the idea of emphasizing high budget cinematic projects when Joker made a billion bucks with around a 70 million budget and an unconventional formula for a modern comic movie. An expected Joker sequel could afford to have a bigger budget (especially if Lady Gaga is confirmed to be in it), but still.
    I still don't consider Joker to be a super hero movie or even a Joker movie for that matter. It's really an anomaly of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    From a logical standpoint, it doesn't make sense that they would completely shelve a movie that was good, especially one with a near-$100 million budget. I think it's more logical to assume the movie wasn't very good.
    Right. Like the Snyder cut.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Snyder Cut we got wasn't the cut Snyder originally wanted to release. And they still released the film regardless. So my point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That one still required $75,000,000 worth of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    People are saying ALL of it is done. The Reevesverse, Snyderverse, Hamadaverse, it ALMOST happened to the DUNEverse, or so I heard. Zaslav apparently want to start fresh with DC. Don't understand why DUNE was almost canned tho. But on the other hand they scrapping Scoob, so who knows. Also Bosslogic said there's more terrible news coming.
    I can understand why they would consider canning Dune.

It's an expensive film, and it's still not clear how well it'll do in the box office, since they don't know how Covid affected the box office of Dune: Part One.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is messy, since there is the argument that it's a tax writeoff. They also get to blame previous people for spending the money in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I still say this is a good sign. Being willing to take the hit instead of releasing a bad movie is good. It shows that to the new guy at least quality matters. The DCU has had so many missteps they know they can't afford anymore clunkers if they ever hope to win back the public. They already know they have a PR nightmare coming up with the Flash movie, and they know they can't shelve that movie with the budget it has no matter how they probably wish they could right now. I think going forward WB is going to be a lot more smart about DCU projects
    It's a fair point that shelving a mediocre film can be a good thing.

Though DC has some owngoals here.

Their biggest recent hits The Batman and Joker were outside the standard DC Cinematic Universe, which also complicates efforts to make Batman part of a shared universe. I wonder if that affected the decision to shelve Batgirl; they didn't wanted The Batman 2 and Joker 2 to be tainted by a flop.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A tax write off? A tax write off!?