Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Even if I like the KC SUperman, I also have a taste for the older Supermfrom Batman Beyond:
    I love this issue specifically: Superman Beyond # 0 is arguably my actual favorite Old Superman that I just forgot earlier (though then again, Maggin's version is still compelling!)

But I've never read another issue featuring "Superman Beyond" that I actually liked, so I have a hard time saying I love Superman Beyond when I really just like that one issue!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This is another reason I would rather see Clark age. These are more glimpses into the future of the Kingdom Come Earth where he has kids and see his oldest friend die. I think Clark would rather see his dreams carried on his children then to live forever constantly seeing everyone you have ever cared about pass away. Imortality would be hell to someone like Clark.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 11-04-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    The problem of immortality is that it separates Superman from the lived experience of people here on earth.
    Is that really what we want of Superman? I think some do. It is rather sad though. To imagine a Superman
    where Lois must age, then die, with Clark having to witness it, then have to continue living. I would rather
    imagine that he has a life span a little more than other humans, but not one where he has to live without Lois for hundreds,
    thousands of years.

Like I said, more a theoretical exercise.
    It depends on what you want from a Superman. Some people want a Superman that they can relate to and is just like them.... Some people prefer a Superman that is... SUPER. Someone with ALL the powers, who can do things that mortal people never can. An inspirational fantasy to aspire to... not something that is bound in 'realism'.

For the second group... 'never dying' would be right up there in 'Super-Qualities' and Clark able to defeat all enemies that we fear... even time and Death...

Myself, I typically fall into that 'Superman needs to be Super' group and want his adventures to be big and better than mere mortals can imagine.... but I think Immortality goes too far. I like to maintain at least an ILLUSION that he could fall.

I think the ideal version would end up dying in battle or saving the earth one last time. No debate on whether he's old or a sun-god.... but Doing what he always does until the day it takes everything he has. The bad guy or asteroid or nuke or whatever is stopped too, but then future generations have to carry on the mission. That's the ideal end for Superman for me. He ends being a hero. Anything else just feels empty.

Kingdom Come Superman
    His nobility was in full display here, even in a broken state.

Superman Beyond
    The adventure continues. How cool is that!

Superman at World’s End
    TBC it’s an awful story, but this bizarre look has always stuck w. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Kingdom Come Superman
    His nobility was in full display here, even in a broken state.

Superman Beyond
    The adventure continues. How cool is that!

Superman at World’s End
    TBC it’s an awful story, but this bizarre look has always stuck w. me.
    Yeah in the end Kingdom Come Superman was a hero teaching others to be a hero. I didn't like that take at first then I realized that it was the result of the general public deciding they didn't need him, so... he let them do it their way... for a while. But came back when they needed him most.

Beyond? well.. I mostly want to see more. They barely showed him. what we do know seems really interesting though.... especially if Lashina's role is what the rumor had it as.... that would be... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Beyond? well.. I mostly want to see more. They barely showed him. what we do know seems really interesting though.... especially if Lashina's role is what the rumor had it as.... that would be... interesting.
    I’d totally blanked on the Lashina plot that never was.
    Yes, that was def. something to follow up on!

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Of all the random things to run across after reading your post this morning, I saw this just now while doing an image search…:

Of all the random things to run across after reading your post this morning, I saw this just now while doing an image search…:

Hoping this is a fan rendering and not something the DCAU guys were ready to roll out with. I say that because I tend to think DCAU Superman's love life was a bit underdeveloped and I'm not sure how I'd feel about the most palpable result out of all of his relationships to be the Damian Wayne story but without the history and chemistry that Bats and Talia shared.

I also note that if Superman's son were alive in the Beyond era, kid should be in his 40s, i.e. older than Superman was during the JLU era.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hoping this is a fan rendering and not something the DCAU guys were ready to roll out with. I say that because I tend to think DCAU Superman's love life was a bit underdeveloped and I'm not sure how I'd feel about the most palpable result out of all of his relationships to be the Damian Wayne story but without the history and chemistry that Bats and Talia shared.

I also note that if Superman's son were alive in the Beyond era, kid should be in his 40s, i.e. older than Superman was during the JLU era.
    Enh, How old do you think Lashina is? 19? NOPE! :P He's half New-God, so he's longer lived than Kryptonians. At any rate, Lashina is an interesting character... when she actually does something other than her usual job as Darkseid's super-mook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTu07Z8XMk8

EDIT: oh yeah, then there's Lashina and Jonah Hex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vvQw6JIcH4 (technically not DCAU?) Aw, that clip leaves out the good part... where Lashina decides to becomes Hex's moll after Mongal is out of the picture.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 11-05-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Retired

Never having watched the Superman episodes in BATMAN BEYOND, when I see that black & white design, the thing I immediately think is he must've been some kind of Super-Nazi Schutzstaffel-Mann.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Super-Nazi Schutzstaffel-Mann.
    ^^^that would be this guy.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The Immortal Superman, probably my favorite style of Superman story, Elliot S! Maggin’s wild man old man Superman. He’s a happy wanderer now that his work on Earth is done. He sends his younger self messages from the future because, that’s what he remembers happens?!? Then definitely Superman 1,000,000, completely Golden, but somehow knowing and self effacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Never having watched the Superman episodes in BATMAN BEYOND, when I see that black & white design, the thing I immediately think is he must've been some kind of Super-Nazi Schutzstaffel-Mann.
    It's also reminiscent of a mashup of the Eradicator outfit and the black and silver outfit Superman wore shortly after the first Doomsday incident.

Did Lashina have a thing with Kal in "Legacy" or something and I just forgot?

I thought he seemed to have something of a relationship with Barda in the JLU episode, which I've seen duplicated in comics like "The Dark Side" I suppose... Was that also Lashina and I'm misremembering? I feel like this picture is gaslighting me, hahaha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    The Immortal Superman, probably my favorite style of Superman story, Elliot S! Maggin’s wild man old man Superman. He’s a happy wanderer now that his work on Earth is done. He sends his younger self messages from the future because, that’s what he remembers happens?!? Then definitely Superman 1,000,000, completely Golden, but somehow knowing and self effacing.
    Curt Swan had a great knack for drawing the old man Superman. I especially like the way he and John Forte rendered the geezer in "The Old Man of Metropolis," ACTION COMICS 270 (November 1960). It's not simply a matter of giving him some white hair or a few wrinkles--they really capture the image of an old man. And they do it with india ink. That's a real art.