Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

So many of those old Stand Up Comedians are lucky they were around before Twitter.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So many of those old Stand Up Comedians are lucky they were around before Twitter.
    Bill Burr said it best a couple years ago...

"They are trying to cancel John Wayne now. OMG did you see what he said in Playboy back in 1970 ?!! Yeah , an act of God cancelled John Wayne 40 years ago already !"
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

"They are trying to cancel John Wayne now. OMG did you see what he said in Playboy back in 1970 ?!! Yeah , an act of God cancelled John Wayne 40 years ago already !"
    Yep i will agree it gets out of hand sometimes. I dont like Dave. Dont like what he said. but I could care less if Netflix drops him. I posted in the Politics thread if people want something done they need to boycott Netflix. But at the end of the day it doesnt matter to me one way or the other.

He is coming here to Cincinnati on the 17th of next month. Not really any out rage about it here and it is being pretty hyped up.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

No one is saying to not show his movies, but maybe they should rethink having a public airport named after him. Even in 1970, those things he said were reprehensible. And he was also a faux patriot who dodged WWII and supported the Blacklist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

He is coming here to Cincinnati on the 17th of next month. Not really any out rage about it here and it is being pretty hyped up.
    Same here. He's coming to New York on the 22nd and tickets go on sale tomorrow. People I know are hype for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No one is saying to not show his movies, but maybe they should rethink having a public airport named after him. Even in 1970, those things he said were reprehensible. And he was also a faux patriot who dodged WWII and supported the Blacklist.
    Im a huge John Wayne fan. His movie El Dorado is my favorite Western of all time. I watch it with my dad a couple times a month. but If they want to take his name off the airport it wouldnt bother me. There are other figures it could be named after.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

With Chapelle specifically, I do think there's a racial element to why *some* of his detractors want to bring him down. A lot of white millenial Karens out there really, *really* want to take down one of the most successful black entertainers ever, and I'm not buying that they're just super dedicated to shielding trans people from lewd humor.
    It is-that is an EXTRA push and Netflix fired a black employee over this for leaking stuff out. When it's a black guy that folks don't like they come out in force.
    Not all those protesters care about Trans people.

...I mean he's an entertainer, the audience's reaction is what he makes his money on...and this time the audience didn't like it. Where's the negative there?
    Question Did they WATCH the show?

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/dave-cha...ng-conditions/

Chappelle's Willing to Meet with Members of the Trans Community… If They Meet His "Meeting Rider"?!: "To the transgender community, I am more than willing to give you an audience, but you will not summon me. I am not bending to anyone's demands. And if you want to meet with me, I am more than willing to, but I have some conditions.

First of all, you cannot come if you have not watched my special from beginning to end.
    He said that for a REASON. Far too many times we have seen not just Cancel Culture but alt right group and trolls attack stuff without content.

See Bi-sexual Robin & Superman
    See Black Johnny Storm
    See Finn in Star Wars
    See New Warriors last mini
    See the new He-Man show on Netflix
    See All New All Different Marvel promo posters
    See Ms Marvel

Guess what the folks attacking the above-never watched the movie or tv show or read a single book.

Im a huge John Wayne fan. His movie El Dorado is my favorite Western of all time. I watch it with my dad a couple times a month. but If they want to take his name off the airport it wouldnt bother me. There are other figures it could be named after.
    That about sums it up. Good movies, bit of a dick.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

This subject always confuses me. Because there are things acceptable and not acceptable in society depending on when and at what time. Society itself determines that. There are things right now acceptable in Europe that are not acceptable here on tv. 30 years ago there were things acceptable on tv that are not acceptable now. And vice versa. Who determines the lines? Not Dave Chapelle. Society is always changing. I mean Chapelle acts like its so tough on him and people like him. But he even has lines. He has drawn them himself. He isn't going go do a stand up and declare all women whores and stupid. He knows he can't do this. Is this cancel culture? I mean some I guess would claim yea. But then again some would say he should be able to walk out and pull his pants down to and play with himself. I just find this whole subject disingenuous.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when progressives were all about "I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" and "marketplace of ideas."
    Well, us progressives then realized that allowing hate speech and dehumanizing ideas to run around freely did more harm than good, and started calling it out.

You can still say what ya want, but now you have to tale responsibility for it. Crazy, amirite?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Some people try to cancel Chapelle every time a special comes out. If they'd been active in this social media era, the same thing would happen to Richard Prior, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Joan Rivers, Andrew Dice Clay, etc... Actually, I think Clay managed to be super controversial even without Twitter, and he was never as big as Chapelle.

Of course Chapelle is a comedian. And at least a halfway decent actor, too.

I get why Chapelle and other big name comics are so resentful of cancel culture, but they're at a level where it really won't hurt them financially. Even Jerry Seinfild, who hardly works blue, talked about not doing college shows because there's always complaints or protests about something. But Jerry has no trouble getting bookings anytime he wants. It's up and coming comics who can potentially get derailed if they have a bit that's too offensive at the wrong time. If Bill Burr pisses off Disney tommoroe and they bar him from Star Wars, the money he would lose out in pale next to his latest Netflix deal or his podcast earnings.

Of course what's really gross about some of these studios and festivals barring comics for offensive jokes is that they'll still look with actors and filmamakers who've done objectively worse things in real life. William Hurt is a known domestic abuser, and he's still playing Thunderbolt Ross for Disney even in 2021. Where's his Cancel movement? It's not like the MCU would suffer without him. Tom Cruise is good buddys with David Miscavidge and still making blockbusters.

With Chapelle specifically, I do think there's a racial element to why *some* of his detractors want to bring him down. A lot of white millenial Karens out there really, *really* want to take down one of the most successful black entertainers ever, and I'm not buying that they're just super dedicated to shielding trans people from lewd humor.
    Add Sam Kinison to that list of comedians. And here's the thing, all those comics have been very controversial at one point of another. They even tried to put Lenny Bruce in jail! And there's more than a couple of music acts we could bring up over the years who have been protested against. People are trying to conflate getting criticized on Twitter with actually being prevented from "making a living" or something. There have been a few artists/entertainers whose careers have tanked after controversial incidents, but we can't be making martyrs of every famous person who happens to get trash talked on social media.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Didn't he have some kind of breakdown or something?
    He got burnt out. Plus he realized that a lot of the audience wasn't getting some of the jokes.

Fantastic Member

I'm glad his Netflix deal is over. I felt that having to create an hourlong show so frequently didn't give Dave enough time on the road to hone his material and make it funny. I don't care what he talks about, and I don't expect him to go back to talking about babies being on the street at 3 a.m. But he's a comedian. I expect his social commentary to be funny. For me, each of his Netflix specials was less funny than the one that preceded it.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, what John Wayne said was extremely racist even for its time.

It was pretty hardcore white supremacist stuff.

That about sums it up. Good movies, bit of a dick.
    Agreed. But I also dont look to writers, movies stars and actors, or musicians for my moral compass. It has to take a lot for an artists actions to get me to stop getting their stuff. I still listen to Travis Tritt, I still read Harry Potter, I will still watch John Wayne movies, and I still Love Joss Whedon stuff. Hell one of my favorite Charlie Danial's Songs he uses the word Fa*. As a gay (Maybe bi?) male I could care less and listen to this song a couple of times a week. Same with Dire Straights and Money for Nothing. I wont watch Dave but then again I never did. Why? because when I watch music, read books, and listen to music I want to be entertained. That is all I am giving them money for. I could care less about their views on subjects good or bad.

Now people who are upset have every right to say they are mad and why. if someone says something others have the right to respond. So I wont get mad at anyone who say they are upset with Dave and want his show off the air. They have that right.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-26-2021 at 07:38 PM.