Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Post Is. Dave Chappelle a comedian or something else?

What about a storyteller that we always imagine? A modern day Homer?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2real View Post
    What about a storyteller that we always imagine? A modern day Homer?
    I think you're taking him a little too seriously.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

He is the Kanye West of comedy. A genius who seems bent on doing everything possible to torpedo himself.

Kanye West is a genius???
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    He is the Kanye West of comedy. A genius who seems bent on doing everything possible to torpedo himself.
    Being funny and not self-censoring for overly sensitive crybabies is "torpedoing himself"?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

He's a comedian doing commentary on society. His weapon is humor. It has been a thing since at least Lenny Bruce.
    Then there was George Carlin and in the 80s it was Richard Pryor, Dice Clay, Eddie Murphy and even Bill Cosby.

Dave Chappelle is just one in a long proud tradition of comedians giving commentary as humor.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I haven't seen his newest special to really judge it. But a lot of his prior shows are on YouTube and Chappelle is really just a gifted stand up comic. He detailed he's been doing stand up at clubs since he was 14 years old. So he knows how to work an audience and build things. The older Chappelle told more silly type stories. The newer Chappelle tells serious stories (Emmit Till , George Floyd etc) mixed with jokes. He really is great at that.

Now i miss young Dave with him joking about going to Disney Land with family and the Mickey Mouse actor in suit kept going "I'm Rick James B-tch !" to him as he was like...dude come on! Your totally not selling this to my kids.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Just another rich, out-of-touch old man.

Dave Chapelle couldn't make a tit of himself nowadays because of woke cancel culture. No wait, turns out you can still do that.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Being funny and not self-censoring for overly sensitive crybabies is "torpedoing himself"?
    Yes. Where have you been?

Chappelle made a choice, and now he's whining about "cancel culture," which is just a whiny term for choices having consequences.

choices having consequences.
    Ah, yes, the polite euphemism for "the heckler's veto."

Yes. Where have you been?

Chappelle made a choice, and now he's whining about "cancel culture," which is just a whiny term for choices having consequences.
    Exactly this.

The whole conservative push back on these kinds of issues is laughable. Cancel Culture is a bad thing? I thought conservatives were all about personal freedoms? Because that's all that's happening here with Chappelle and other such cases; celebrities whether they be actors, musicians or stand up comedians are free to say what ever they like and nobody is going to put them in jail for it. That's what the freedom of speech protects...but it doesn't protect them from criticism and rightly so because that would be limiting other people's freedom of speech...which certainly isn't what conservatives want right?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Ah, yes, the polite euphemism for "the heckler's veto."
    ...I mean he's an entertainer, the audience's reaction is what he makes his money on...and this time the audience didn't like it. Where's the negative there?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I thought conservatives were all about personal freedoms?
    I'm old enough to remember when progressives were all about "I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" and "marketplace of ideas."

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...I mean he's an entertainer, the audience's reaction is what he makes his money on...and this time the audience didn't like it. Where's the negative there?
    I can't tell if you're being ignorant or disingenuous but the actual audience loved the show. Good ratings and a high RT score from the public. The "criticism" is coming from a small subset of people who need to chill out and develop a sense of humor.