Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    So, if you take away someone's livelihood (i.e. their main source in acquiring the necessities of life), what would that be equivalent to, in your opinion?

Maybe "killing" is too strong a term? But it sure isn't going to be pleasant.
    If I make transphobic comments in a meeting at work, I'm going to get fired. I'm going to lose my livelihood.

It will be because I made a choice and paid the consequences. It doesn't mean I've been "killed," or jailed, or silenced. Nor does it mean I can't go and make my livelihood somewhere else, if I'm not stupid enough to lose that job too.

Of course, if a prospective new boss finds out why I got fired, I'm probably not getting that job. Think about the consequences before making the choices. Other people have as many rights as you do, and some of the things you think are "rights"... aren't.

To be a comedian you have to be funny and that last special was unfunny as hell.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

He's a comedian who tells real stories and weaves the comedy into that. But I mean, that's pretty much every comic out there, that's how they write their material.

Or what Captain Craig said, he said it a lot better.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    To be a comedian you have to be funny and that last special was unfunny as hell.
    Agreed. While it wasn't funny I found the stories he told entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Kanye West is a genius???
    Mr. Kardashian got handled by his woman 100%. He's a simp in every term of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    He is a comedian and something else. I watched The Closer because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Dave is a great comic, however the skit was more TED Talk than stand up comedy.
    Same.

Felt like he was getting "something" off his chest & I'd been pissed to go to that show just to hear that. Did not help himself with any of that "performance".

Incredible Member

Some people try to cancel Chapelle every time a special comes out. If they'd been active in this social media era, the same thing would happen to Richard Prior, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Joan Rivers, Andrew Dice Clay, etc... Actually, I think Clay managed to be super controversial even without Twitter, and he was never as big as Chapelle.

Of course Chapelle is a comedian. And at least a halfway decent actor, too.

I get why Chapelle and other big name comics are so resentful of cancel culture, but they're at a level where it really won't hurt them financially. Even Jerry Seinfild, who hardly works blue, talked about not doing college shows because there's always complaints or protests about something. But Jerry has no trouble getting bookings anytime he wants. It's up and coming comics who can potentially get derailed if they have a bit that's too offensive at the wrong time. If Bill Burr pisses off Disney tommoroe and they bar him from Star Wars, the money he would lose out in pale next to his latest Netflix deal or his podcast earnings.

Of course what's really gross about some of these studios and festivals barring comics for offensive jokes is that they'll still look with actors and filmamakers who've done objectively worse things in real life. William Hurt is a known domestic abuser, and he's still playing Thunderbolt Ross for Disney even in 2021. Where's his Cancel movement? It's not like the MCU would suffer without him. Tom Cruise is good buddys with David Miscavidge and still making blockbusters.

With Chapelle specifically, I do think there's a racial element to why *some* of his detractors want to bring him down. A lot of white millenial Karens out there really, *really* want to take down one of the most successful black entertainers ever, and I'm not buying that they're just super dedicated to shielding trans people from lewd humor.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-26-2021 at 12:03 PM.

So, if you take away someone's livelihood (i.e. their main source in acquiring the necessities of life), what would that be equivalent to, in your opinion?

Maybe "killing" is too strong a term? But it sure isn't going to be pleasant.
    Dave Chappelle is a multi-millionaire. He could stop working, as he's done before, and be just fine.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Example.
    In your example, the person is not having their livelihood taken away. They have lost their job, due to not following a company rule, then simply getting another job.

Some people work in a profession or industry their entire lives - it may be a niche environment, in which it's not a simple task to replace. Folks lose their livelihoods all the time, replaced by a machine or a good/service becomes obsolete. You may even see some of them on a corner asking for change (or work). It's not always due to someone making a comment that costs them their job.

When Dave made the comment of taking livelihood being akin to killing them, it was within the context of the overall story he was telling. The so-called transphobic comments were also made within the context of the overall story he was telling. The issue is (some) folks focusing solely on a particular comment and avoiding the context surrounding it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Dave Chappelle is a multi-millionaire. He could stop working, as he's done before, and be just fine.
    I would argue that he wasn't "just fine" when he left Comedy Central, nor did he stop working. He dropped out of the public eye. He probably is fine now after this Netflix deal and resolving his monetary issues with CC.

Astonishing Member

I would argue that he wasn't "just fine" when he left Comedy Central, nor did he stop working. He dropped out of the public eye. He probably is fine now after this Netflix deal and resolving his monetary issues with CC.
    Didn't he have some kind of breakdown or something?

Which was a personal mental issue and not related to him losing his job.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Didn't he have some kind of breakdown or something?
    He couldn't handle how popular his show has gotten and the pressure to outdo Season 2. He ended up bailing during the production of season 3 and going to Africa for a little while.

Incredible Member

I've never found Dave Chappelle funny, his show was mildly a chuckle or two and even before that when he was in Con Air and The Nutty Professor he wasn't funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when progressives were all about "I disagree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" and "marketplace of ideas."
    Unless you have a provable instance of the government stepping in to curb Chapelle's actual rights protected by The Constitution?

We have no reason to believe that his rights are not completely intact.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Some people try to cancel Chapelle every time a special comes out. If they'd been active in this social media era, the same thing would happen to Richard Prior, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Joan Rivers, Andrew Dice Clay, etc... Actually, I think Clay managed to be super controversial even without Twitter, and he was never as big as Chapelle.

Of course Chapelle is a comedian. And at least a halfway decent actor, too.

I get why Chapelle and other big name comics are so resentful of cancel culture, but they're at a level where it really won't hurt them financially. Even Jerry Seinfild, who hardly works blue, talked about not doing college shows because there's always complaints or protests about something. But Jerry has no trouble getting bookings anytime he wants. It's up and coming comics who can potentially get derailed if they have a bit that's too offensive at the wrong time. If Bill Burr pisses off Disney tommoroe and they bar him from Star Wars, the money he would lose out in pale next to his latest Netflix deal or his podcast earnings.

Of course what's really gross about some of these studios and festivals barring comics for offensive jokes is that they'll still look with actors and filmamakers who've done objectively worse things in real life. William Hurt is a known domestic abuser, and he's still playing Thunderbolt Ross for Disney even in 2021. Where's his Cancel movement? It's not like the MCU would suffer without him. Tom Cruise is good buddys with David Miscavidge and still making blockbusters.

With Chapelle specifically, I do think there's a racial element to why *some* of his detractors want to bring him down. A lot of white millenial Karens out there really, *really* want to take down one of the most successful black entertainers ever, and I'm not buying that they're just super dedicated to shielding trans people from lewd humor.

Clay back in the late 1980s was as big as Chappelle then. His character DICEMAN was basically a play on male pigs in a sense. The character was MASSIVELY popular and sold millions of comedy albums , sold out Madison Square Garden 2-3 nights in a row and got TV and film roles due to it. Clay was controversial as well.

The character had women's groups attack Clay for being misogynist and it blew up big time when he hosted SNL. If the internet was around then its clear Clay would have had been really ripped apart. As time passed the Diceman character ran its course , Clay moved into trying different things. He still does the Diceman but his jokes have changed as he's more now the last decade or 2 discussing family situations and being a former stud.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.