Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im a huge John Wayne fan. His movie El Dorado is my favorite Western of all time. I watch it with my dad a couple times a month. but If they want to take his name off the airport it wouldnt bother me. There are other figures it could be named after.
    We don't really need to name anything after people anyway, and if we do, changing it isn't wrong. The past isn't some sacred cow we need to protect at the expense of present feelings

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    We don't really need to name anything after people anyway, and if we do, changing it isn't wrong. The past isn't some sacred cow we need to protect at the expense of present feelings
    I agree with his. Heck more then half of the buildings named after people I have no idea who they are anyway. I get if the person has a connection to the place that is named. Like the J Edgar Hoover FBI building. But an airport named after a star of a western? What is the point? Who cares one way or the other. I would bet half of the people who are yelling for his name to be taken off the airport didnt even know there was one named after him till someone made a fuss and they jumped on board.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Truth here.

Loving all these traitorous confederate monuments getting yanked & thrown in a basement somewhere to be eventually destroyed. What's more delicious is all the fake whining about "mah heritage" that nobody is buying or respecting.

****-on out of here Adolf.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I agree with his. Heck more then half of the buildings named after people I have no idea who they are anyway. I get if the person has a connection to the place that is named. Like the J Edgar Hoover FBI building. But an airport named after a star of a western? What is the point? Who cares one way or the other. I would bet half of the people who are yelling for his name to be taken off the airport didnt even know there was one named after him till someone made a fuss and they jumped on board.
    That sadly is how it goes at times. A lot of people didn't care or knew for years. They'd see John Wayne Airport (which I never knew one was named after him either) and once the comments became really known there was anger. I like some John Wayne films like a lot of folks. I never held the guy to the standards of some of his films. I know many do that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't understand people who look to celebrities to be a moral compass. Their jobs is to entertain and some times inspire but never as a shining example to live by.

Extraordinary Member
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Of course they would...and I'm so glad CBR edits out Faux News!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Of course they would...and I'm so glad CBR edits out Faux News!
    Ha! Just noticed that!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He got burnt out. Plus he realized that a lot of the audience wasn't getting some of the jokes.
    Could it be because they weren't funny?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Of course it fits their agenda.

Groups like them pick what part fits an agenda.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He got burnt out. Plus he realized that a lot of the audience wasn't getting some of the jokes.
    The irony of this whole situation is that Chapelle said that one of the reasons he left the show was that he felt some crew members laughed at him rather than with him so he began to wonder if is his show satirized racial stereotypes or reinforce them, so clearly he knows that a joke even if funny could be demeaning.

To answer the question he's a comedian but also a storyteller.

Of course, he's a comedian.

He may also do other stuff.

Whatever we use to describe him should be based on neutral principles that would apply to other people.

If you think his last special was too serious or wasn't funny or whatever, the criteria to decide that he's not a comedian should apply to anyone else described as a comedian. There is an argument that Hannah Gabsby (not a fan of Chapelle's latest) did something that isn't comedy in her special "Nanette," so I can understand this logic applying to Chapelle as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/a...y-nanette.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Truth here.

Loving all these traitorous confederate monuments getting yanked & thrown in a basement somewhere to be eventually destroyed. What's more delicious is all the fake whining about "mah heritage" that nobody is buying or respecting.

****-on out of here Adolf.
    Exactly. Even some Union and other statues should be torn down because of how they treated Native Americans. I mean, why do these people act like their feelings should be protected but everyone else is somehow too sensitive?

Ultimate Member

I don't think both sides are the same though. Of course people are going to be mad at honoring a bigoted person, especially when society doesn't care about those groups the individuals in question are bigoted against.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Chappelle in 2017 or 2018 in an interview has claimed he was gonna go back to the show after leaving awhile. But what stopped it was Comedy Central aired the episodes he wasn't happy with.

This ended their working together after it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.