Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Girl #4 - Spoilers/Discussion

Synopsis-

Yara begins her training in Olympus under the tutelage of the centaur Chiron. She struggles for quite some time, until she befriends a wild Pegasus whom she names Jerry.

After passing her training, Yara in greeted by Eros who offers her a permanent home in Olympus. In order to shay, however, Yara must drink the Ambrosia elixir which could take from her as much as it gives.

Before coming to a decision, Yara decides to visit Earth and see Joćo. The two relax on a beach, and as Yara contemplates her choices, she is spots a strange pool of green energy with the image of a woman inside. The woman waves Yara over, and says it's been a long time since they have last met, though Yara doesn't remember her. The woman uses the pool to show Yara the origins of her birth mother, and Amazon from Themyscira named Aella. Aella after being free from Heracles control, chose to travel the world instead of going with either the Amazons to Paradise Island or Egypt. Eventually, Aella comes to South America and discovers a hidden tripe in it's jungles. The tripe adopted her, and there she had her daughter, Yara.

The gods of Olympus were jealous of this secret tribe, and unleased their wrath, killing most of the inhabitants including Yara's own mother.

Yara, shocked and horrified, pulls herself out of the pool. She comes face to face with Artemis and Cassie. Artemis warns Yara against siding with Hera, saying it could lead toward a path of destruction for all. After a brief stare-down Artemis deicides she will let Yara make her choice first before taking any action.

Back in Olympus, Hera is ready for Yara's indoctrination. Yara herself, outfitted in her superhero garb, is offered a challis of Ambrosia. Hera declares this act will make Yara her champion for all-time as Yara hold the cup to her lips.

Review-

Yeah...Yara's not drinking that, lol.

Lot of exposition this issue (compared to the others in the series anyway). I think the backstory of Yara's mother is actually pretty cool. It looks like that man from the first issue was actually Ares with his twin sons, Phobos and Demos. Kindof wish they picked another god, but eh. Also Jones did most of the art this issue, so that's a positive.

Jerry was amazing.

Kind of weird she went back to see Joćo out of all the people she has on Earth (does this girl not have any friends?)

Anyway, Yara's probably going to toss that Ambrosia on Hera next issue, which should be entertaining.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quoting myself from appreciation thread:

Well new issue is out and you can't blame Jones for decompression. It worked for me because things that warrant attention (Jerry) got it, while boring things like training got very little by comparison.

I agree with your quote Hsssh, COVID delays have not been kind to Yara and he’s already behind characters like Jon and Jace in terms of character progression/abilities, so time for a training montage so that she can catch up.

She should keep that cloak she had at the end though, it was nice.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Yara's origin story seems to be inspired by Perseus. I always knew that she was the daughter of an Amazon woman and a Brazillian god. But I expected her mother to be an Indigenous Brazillian woman from the Amazon ( that would have been better), not someone from Themyscira.
    Last edited by Veni; 10-26-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Wow that was quick, it was like one of those condensed versions of a classic story I read as a kid. There was a lot to process but I don't have time right now, have to get to work. It was amazing though, Joelle Jones is a goddess!

Aella was an Amazon who wanted to kill the men of Herakles in George Perez's first issue. She is one of the few that she is named in that first issue along with Menalippe and Antiope.
    Then she was used as a traitor in Jimenez' Paradise Lost, where she dies. I will say nothing about Jao -rolleyes-, and for the rest pretty boring.

Being dumb is a personality and is Yara's

You have to love her

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Aella was an Amazon who wanted to kill the men of Herakles in George Perez's first issue. She is one of the few that she is named in that first issue along with Menalippe and Antiope.
    Then she was used as a traitor in Jimenez' Paradise Lost, where she dies.
    I will say nothing about Jao -rolleyes-, and for the rest pretty boring.
    Dang, guess this is Aella’s second chance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Dang, guess this is Aella’s second chance.
    I don't know if this is her second chance because she is dead. She was killed in a flashback in Issue 1.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

This was a PACKED issue that i was exhausted by the time I got to the end of it lol.

After building up to some things like Artemis/Cassie searching for Yara it was disappointing that they had like 1 page with her and a simple "choose the right path"

Yara choosing to see Jao to help make her decision was a choice. I don't mind him and haven't minded him up until now. They gave the two a strong release that just rang hollow for me since once again....everything was rushed.

Her mothers brief origin was nice and she's an established Amazon. I liked that Yaras tribe aren't Amazons but just their own thing. Ares and co. Attempting to wipe out said tribe due to jealously....need some more information on that. Did the Brazilian gods copy the Greeks and created this tribe to take on the Amazons? They just didn't like them? Give me the information.

The dude's name is Joćo, it's kinda like Joe-ow.

I liked this issue a lot, very packed with lore. I'm kinda curious to know what god will be her father.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nŗ8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mother's origin looked like a set up for some future arc since we didn't get that much details about it, like who is Yara's father and who exactly wiped their tribe out. It looks like Ares, but it might be misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This was a PACKED issue that i was exhausted by the time I got to the end of it lol.

After building up to some things like Artemis/Cassie searching for Yara it was disappointing that they had like 1 page with her and a simple "choose the right path"

Yara choosing to see Jao to help make her decision was a choice. I don't mind him and haven't minded him up until now. They gave the two a strong release that just rang hollow for me since once again....everything was rushed.

Her mothers brief origin was nice and she's an established Amazon. I liked that Yaras tribe aren't Amazons but just their own thing. Ares and co. Attempting to wipe out said tribe due to jealously....need some more information on that. Did the Brazilian gods copy the Greeks and created this tribe to take on the Amazons? They just didn't like them? Give me the information.
    Oh yeah, it's true, that was the most disappointing, an encounter that was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I for-sure thought Yara and Artemis where gonna trade blows first chance they got.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The dude's name is Joćo, it's kinda like Joe-ow.

I liked this issue a lot, very packed with lore. I'm kinda curious to know what god will be her father.
    Whoopsies, my bad. I shall edit that.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-26-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Oh yeah, it's true, that was the most disappointing, an encounter that was nothing.
    Their on standby the action will start once Yara makes her choice