Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Honestly, I'm surprised we never had an ongoing Cassie Sandmark WG series in the New Earth days. But now this is the test to see if Wonder Girl's name/brand can live up to anywhere near Robin and Superboy.

Well this run is still better than 90% of diana's runs lol

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Well this run is still better than 90% of diana's runs lol
    Diana has had A LOT of runs but this doesnt beat the Perez/Rucka/Simone/Rucka/Current run imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Diana has had A LOT of runs but this doesnt beat the Perez/Rucka/Simone/Rucka/Current run imo.
    Not saying it does, I just find it funny that when the new wonder run isn't to fans liking its dope the character she sucks, but when diana goes years with bad runs its dope the creative team but diana's awesome

Not saying it does, I just find it funny that when the new wonder run isn't to fans liking its dope the character she sucks, but when diana goes years with bad runs its dope the creative team but diana's awesome
    Has there been 80 years worth of different version of Yara yet to compare and contrast?

Just because someone doesn't like Yara now, doesn't mean they'll never like her under a different writer or different story. There are people who didn't like Miles Morals under Bendis but like him under different writers.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Has there been 80 years worth of different version of Yara yet to compare and contrast?

Just because someone doesn't like Yara now, doesn't mean they'll never like her under a different writer or different story. There are people who didn't like Miles Morals under Bendis but like him under different writers.
    I know people don't have to like yara or this run, that's fine. Its that with some fans its this new character better great day one and stay great or else, but the characters they like can go years or even decades of being bad and they still get upset when dc don't want to push those characters anymore. I just find it funny is all.

While I understand what your saying for the most part, Diana has 80 years of stories to back up how great she is so when she has lackluster comic runs you can say that its on the writer. Yara doesnt have that pleasure yet.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I know people don't have to like yara or this run, that's fine. Its that with some fans its this new character better great day one and stay great or else, but the characters they like can go years or even decades of being bad and they still get upset when dc don't want to push those characters anymore. I just find it funny is all.
    That's because WW has had great runs along with the bad ones. And has had great results in TV, movies and merchandise. All of this without ever having 50% of the push that other characters have. Such as Superman, who for example has had bad box office numbers for 4 decades in a row, and his current comics sell around similar figures that WW. So for her it is impressive all the good things that she did achieve, with a label that has never put the same effort into her brand. I mean for example, even vixen has had her own animated series. While WW a much more profitable brand is still waiting its turn. Only time will tell if Yarda has what it takes to pass the test of time, and endure bad writing moments like the character of WW has done.

I caught up with this run. I don't think its as good as the Future Tense storyline she first appeared in and its not the story I would have preferred. I think this story would be very difficult for new readers to latch onto for one, a lot of WW elements are thrown into here (including Artemis and Wonder Girl reuniting, which was a relationship I really enjoyed in Byrne's work). Not a fan of the Olympus stuff, the Amazonian mythology stuff was way more interesting. I found Yara's sudden pairing with that one dude kind of weird too.

I would say the Future Tense (I literally can't remember what that event was called) two-parter more than enough earned Yara's place among WW canon. Something interesting is that that Nubia really only had one good story line, which consisted of two (maybe three?) comics and that was when the character was introduced. WW fans haven't stopped talking about her since.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

At up to $4-5 a pop, I want consistent art and enjoyable stories & if DC and the creators behind a specific run or title don’t deliver, then I don’t buy the book. As much as I would like to support the WW brand, I would also like to get my money’s worth. If I don’t feel like I am, then I drop the book until a new creative team takes over.

I’m enjoying this book so far plus the current run on WW, so they will keep getting my money. The burden of keeping a brand alive and interesting shouldn’t rest on our shoulders. We shouldn’t reward mediocre efforts by buying the books (even if we don’t read them) just to keep the franchise going.
    Last edited by Natamaxxx; 11-02-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    At up to $4-5 a pop, I want consistent art and enjoyable stories & if DC and the creators behind a specific run or title don’t deliver, then I don’t buy the book. As much as I would like to support the WW brand, I would also like to get my money’s worth. If I don’t feel like I am, then I drop the book until a new creative team takes over.

I’m enjoying this book so far plus the current run on WW, so they will keep getting my money. The burden of keeping a brand alive and interesting shouldn’t rest on our shoulders. We shouldn’t reward mediocre efforts by buying the books (even if we don’t read them) just to keep the franchise going.
    We owe it to the Princess for all the hours she brought us happiness, interest and enlightenment. You're not rewarding DC, you're rewarding her. That's the reason I bought all of Azzarello's issues and Amazons Attack although personally neither were my cup of tea. Heck I bought the Young Diana book even though I already had the whole story in the backups and all the Dead Earth, Black & Gold, Sensational and Agent of Peace books without reading many of them yet.

In the long run you'll be happy you did, for reference material if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    According to a post by LAWtoyoto 432 LAWtoyoto 432 in the DC Comics forum, this link has the sales.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-08.html

Here are the highlight for the non-Batbooks sales:
    29. Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular - 54,000
    37. Justice League#66 - 48,000
    39. Infinite Frontier#4 - 47,000
    46. Infinite Frontier#5 - 44,000
    49. Wonder Girl#3 - 43,000
    56. Superman Son of Kal-El#2 - 40,000
    69. Superman and the Authority#2 - 35,000
    77. Swamp Thing#6 - 33,000
    80. Green Lantern #5 - 32,000
    81. Wonder Woman#777 - 32,000
    82. The Flash#773 - 32,000
    89. Wonder Woman#778 - 31,000
    95. Suicide Squad #6 - 29,000
    96. Action Comics#1034 - 29,000
    98. Teen Titans Academy#6 - 29,000
    100. Supergirl :Woman of Tomorrow#3 - 28,000
    119, Shazam#2 - 23,000

Again posted from the DC Comics forum.
    #49? I knew that she would come down to earth from her initial top ten placements. That happens with most new characters , especially when they are adjacent to iconic superheroes. Although Yara does nothing for me, I hate that the concept of Wonder Girl is not as entrenched in the public favor as Robin, Nightwing, or even Supergirl. Is it because of how many Wonder Girls there have been? I mean, haven't there been like 764 Robins?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    We owe it to the Princess for all the hours she brought us happiness, interest and enlightenment. You're not rewarding DC, you're rewarding her. That's the reason I bought all of Azzarello's issues and Amazons Attack although personally neither were my cup of tea. Heck I bought the Young Diana book even though I already had the whole story in the backups and all the Dead Earth, Black & Gold, Sensational and Agent of Peace books without reading many of them yet.

In the long run you'll be happy you did, for reference material if nothing else.
    So we need to buy the comic, even if it's lousy, to support a character that is for the most part delegated to third amongst the 'Trinity'. And to say she is 'third' is an understatement. I would probably put all Batman characters ahead of her as well as Superman characters, with respect to the amount of 'push' they get.

Wondy had a successful TV show, did very well with her first solo movie and the people at DC still give us the dreck with her showings in animated movies. I would call the WW84 'dreck' also (why the hell didn't they at least proof read the script for all the plot holes and inconsistency's it had?) And her poor showings in many of her comic runs as well as her 'guest' appearances or team books tells me how they like to treat her!

Why would they give this Yara the push that they gave and the 'Wonder Girl' title before they even tried to do the same 'push' with established characters like Donna or Cassie?

And, we need to just give them our money? For bad products? Azzarello made me quit comics for a long time before I bought some trades and I am glad I quit. Some of the trades were not exactly up to par.

We can show DC that we mean business by not buying a bad product!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    So we need to buy the comic, even if it's lousy, to support a character that is for the most part delegated to third amongst the 'Trinity'. And to say she is 'third' is an understatement. I would probably put all Batman characters ahead of her as well as Superman characters, with respect to the amount of 'push' they get.

Wondy had a successful TV show, did very well with her first solo movie and the people at DC still give us the dreck with her showings in animated movies. I would call the WW84 'dreck' also (why the hell didn't they at least proof read the script for all the plot holes and inconsistency's it had?) And her poor showings in many of her comic runs as well as her 'guest' appearances or team books tells me how they like to treat her!

Why would they give this Yara the push that they gave and the 'Wonder Girl' title before they even tried to do the same 'push' with established characters like Donna or Cassie?

And, we need to just give them our money? For bad products? Azzarello made me quit comics for a long time before I bought some trades and I am glad I quit. Some of the trades were not exactly up to par.

We can show DC that we mean business by not buying a bad product!
    Fine, guess I'm more loyal than most. Something is always better than nothing though. Let everything Wonder Woman related get cancelled, that'll show 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    #49? I knew that she would come down to earth from her initial top ten placements. That happens with most new characters , especially when they are adjacent to iconic superheroes. Although Yara does nothing for me, I hate that the concept of Wonder Girl is not as entrenched in the public favor as Robin, Nightwing, or even Supergirl. Is it because of how many Wonder Girls there have been? I mean, haven't there been like 764 Robins?
    Honestly she falls in line with WW which is good tbh. Wonder Girl as a title and public recognition....WW has been largely solo in merchandise. WG has never been as out there like Robin/SG.