Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Why is Jean never held accountable for her emotional affair with another man?

Despite the inflammatory thread title, I'm genuinely curious.

It's well documented that Cyclops recieved a ton of flack both in universe and within the fandom for his psychic affair and relationship with Emma, which only happened because Jean herself willed it.

However, Jean, while married, engaged in an emotional affair with Logan for YEARS prior to this, and even approached him for sex while Scott was recovering from his possession by Apocalypse.

I find it a bit odd that basically no one in universe has ever called out Jean on this? And the fandom pretty much turns a blind eye to it too?

I don't know about you guys but isn't it a bit messed up that she never actually set boundaries with Logan? Never once said "Hey, I'm married, back off" or had enough respect for Scott and their marriage to make it clear to Logan that nothing was ever going to happen.

Imagine being in Scott's shoes. Your wife is blatantly in love with another man, you know it, she knows it, the other man knows It, all your friends and family know it. It's honestly pretty humiliating. And you can't do anything about it but accept it.

I'm curious to hear what other people think about it. Perhaps I'm being unfair.
    Last edited by OmegaStorm87; 10-26-2021 at 10:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm a recent Jean fan but a lot of what I've read/heard about early era was Logan advancing on her and she being very clearly against it.Logan didn't stop and somewhere(maybe because X-movies, claremont disliking marvel, etc. don't know) they turned it into mutual pining.Like Logan was her escape to the dark primal side instead of just being creepy.

I can see Jean going tired of Scott though, he's extremely repressed.If they wanted to go that way then it should have been a full arc like Scemma, where Scott dies/gets w/ emma while Jean realizes she's done w/ Scott being repressed and wants something w/ someone more "open" w/ their emotions.

Well, since we’re throwing inflammatory grenades into the room, I personally think it’s because Jean and Logan are soul mates and all the other X-men know it. So they don’t hold it against her and understand that she stays with Scott out of guilt, and necessity. Because without Jean to keep him steady Scott can’t lead the X-men as effectively. So she allows for his dalliances with Emma, while he allows for hers with Logan; because whether they can admit to one another or not, they’re not each other’s soul mate. They’re really just good friends who love each other. My $.02.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I'm a recent Jean fan but a lot of what I've read/heard about early era was Logan advancing on her and she being very clearly against it.Logan didn't stop and somewhere(maybe because X-movies, claremont disliking marvel, etc. don't know) they turned it into mutual pining.Like Logan was her escape to the dark primal side instead of just being creepy.

I can see Jean going tired of Scott though, he's extremely repressed.If they wanted to go that way then it should have been a full arc like Scemma, where Scott dies/gets w/ emma while Jean realizes she's done w/ Scott being repressed and wants something w/ someone more "open" w/ their emotions.
    The mutual pining was basically a retcon because CC had a hissy fit over X-Factor and editorial overruling him in regards to bringing Jean back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Well, since we’re throwing inflammatory grenades into the room, I personally think it’s because Jean and Logan are soul mates and all the other X-men know it. So they don’t hold it against her and understand that she stays with Scott out of guilt, and necessity. Because without Jean to keep him steady Scott can’t lead the X-men as effectively. So she allows for his dalliances with Emma, while he allows for hers with Logan; because whether they can admit to one another or not, they’re not each other’s soul mate. They’re really just good friends who love each other. My $.02.
    This is demonstrably false when you consider how long Marvel kept Jean dead after Morrison's run. Jean shouldn't be reduced to being a thing Scott needs to make him better.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post

It's well documented that Cyclops recieved a ton of flack both in universe and within the fandom for his psychic affair and relationship with Emma, which only happened because Jean herself willed it.

However, Jean, while married, engaged in an emotional affair with Logan for YEARS prior to this, and even approached him for sex while Scott was recovering from his possession by Apocalypse.

I find it a bit odd that basically no one in universe has ever called out Jean on this? And the fandom pretty much turns a blind eye to it too?

I don't know about you guys but isn't it a bit messed up that she never actually set boundaries with Logan? Never once said "Hey, I'm married, back off" or had enough respect for Scott and their marriage to make it clear to Logan that nothing was ever going to happen.

Imagine being in Scott's shoes. Your wife is blatantly in love with another man, you know it, she knows it, the other man knows It, all your friends and family know it. It's honestly pretty humiliating. And you can't do anything about it but accept it.

I'll preface my point with this: development of feelings for someone other than your spouse doesn't mean the end of a marriage, but it certainly could especially if kept secret.

Now, it's not clear that Jean approached Logan for sex during Morrison's NXM, but she was playing with fire and Morrison wanted that situation to be ambiguous. Other than this instance, from what I've read and seen, Logan has exclusively been the aggressor, uncaring of Jean's feelings and even taunting her about her attraction to him while Scott is present. Sounds like a real jerk to me.

That being said, and with my first point in mind, it isn't okay for Jean to still have feelings for another man if she presumably wants/wanted to be in a committed, monogamous relationship. Present continuity shenanigans aside, she and Scott should've worked out those feelings and moved on, but thanks to creative at Marvel, Jean isn't in a flattering position.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

So Logan’s basically Dermot Mulroney in every Hallmark movie?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is demonstrably false when you consider how long Marvel kept Jean dead after Morrison's run. Jean shouldn't be reduced to being a thing Scott needs to make him better.
    It hurts both characters, and Jean shouldn't have been kept dead for so long period, let alone for that reason.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

the entire concept of marriage is bullshit. People are unfaithful. end of story.

But I agree that I never really understand why Cyclops is treated about the affair like he is a demon. Jean basically helped to set up Emma and Cyclops several times. She knew she had moved on....she even reset an entire universe to get rid of Cyclops. lol

Oh, did Jean will the telepathic affair? I would love to see the pages and panels indicating so.

After she died and ascended to White Phoenix status, i.e., after the telepathic affair, Jean changed reality and willed Emma and Scott to be together so that Scott could be happy and because this change was one of many necessary changes for the preservation of mutants.

Jean was always transparent with Scott regarding her love for Logan, including right before their wedding. However, to claim that she “engaged in an emotional affair with Logan” is dubious at best and disingenuous at worst. As for your claim that she “approached [Logan] for sex”…I’m speechless. Please share the page or panel showing this.

Logan has always been the one to initiate kisses with Jean. Sometimes she’s fought back (see Inferno), sometimes not. Then again, considering the fact that Scott kept Madelyne a secret from her for close to a year, was later preoccupied with and kissed by Psylocke - he didn’t fight that kiss off, btw - and later engaged in an ongoing telepathic affair with Emma, I don’t think the two are comparable in terms of deception.

Actually, she did set boundaries with him (see Inferno), including by insulting and blasting him.

Claiming that Jean is “in love with” Logan and that everybody knows it is a stretch. Logan fell in love with Jean because she showed concern for him and because of her loyalty, assertiveness, big heart, and indomitable will and courage. Jean always empathized with and grew to love Logan for the same exact reasons. (They’re alike in many ways.) He may have wanted there to be more, but their relationship was platonic and she made that clear.

Now, regarding this era, things seem to have changed and, based on what has been implied, Scott seems to be enjoying it.

Oh, you know you’re being unfair, but then again, you’re not much of a Jean Grey fan, are you?
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-26-2021 at 10:48 AM.

omfg…

😭😂🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    So Logan’s basically Dermot Mulroney in every Hallmark movie?
    I’ve never watched a Hallmark movie, but quite possibly. Ha.

Jean didn't "willed" the affair ?? she literally encountered them having telepathic s*x in Scott's mind after coming back from a trip, because the Cuckoos told her, and not only that but Emma was pretending to be her lol
    Last edited by Starchilde; 10-26-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo

Right. Jean if anything willed their resulting relationship but she didn't will Scott to cheat on her. Scott is just a cheater. A lot of men are, it's not like he's alone in that but he has a pattern whereas Jean doesn't.

Amazing Member

I don't feel that you are being unfair.

Out of universe, the reason is that for the most part, there is no interest being a complex multi-dimensional flawed individual. Not from Marvel and not from the fanbase.
    In universe that lack of interest translated to her being deified. Because she dies more often then she washes her dress, she gets a free pass.