Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    Jean didn't "will" the affair ?? she literally encountered them having telepathic s*x in Scott's mind after coming back from a trip, because the Cuckoos told her, and not only that but Emma was pretending to be her lol
    Chiiile… The twisted desperation. And to think, a Phoenix-bonded Jean was able to keep her composure and not annihilate Emma, instead opting to confirm whether Emma had ulterior motives that would affect the team while engaging in the same sort of psychological game Emma was/is prone to. In the end, only to save her life before gifting her with the most meaningful romantic relationship in her life.

Jean was such a transcendent goddess under Morrison’s pen.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-26-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Finally, a new topic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Right. Jean if anything willed their resulting relationship but she didn't will Scott to cheat on her. Scott is just a cheater. A lot of men are, it's not like he's alone in that but he has a pattern whereas Jean doesn't.
    It should go without saying that when I said Jean willed it, I meant the relationship, seeing as that's...you know, what happened.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Nevermind....misconstrued the question.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by placeholder View Post
    I don't feel that you are being unfair.

Out of universe, the reason is that for the most part, there is no interest being a complex multi-dimensional flawed individual. Not from Marvel and not from the fanbase.
    In universe that lack of interest translated to her being deified. Because she dies more often then she washes her dress, she gets a free pass.
    Are you saying that fans aren't interested in Jean being a flawed individual? What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    It should go without saying that when I said Jean willed it, I meant the relationship, seeing as that's...you know, what happened.
    It can be said that their relationship began before Jean died. As the White Phoenix, she willed it to continue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    In light of the fact that...
    1) Scott cheated on her with Emma...so from that perspective you could say Jean was just getting her "due" with Logan.
    and
    2) They were in a polyamory/open relationship up until very recently

There's really nothing to hold her "accountable" for.

Related question...are Jean and Scott still considered to be officially married or are they just together? (Once a spouse dies...the marriage itself is legally (if not emotionally) ended.)
    Jean was having an emotional affair for years with Logan, long before Emma was on the scene.

With that perspective, you could easily just say Scott was getting his due with Emma after being the 3rd person in his marriage with Jean for years?

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

It's funny because it doesn't matter how many times Jean says she loves Scott, people still think she was only with him because of guilt. Because Logan says so.

Why is it that the perspective of a male character about a female character's feelings is more important than her own?

Amazing Member

Are you saying that fans aren't interested in Jean being a flawed individual? What makes you say that?
    The rejection of Teen Jean, her Phoenix heritage and the positive reception of the way she has been written since her resurrection where she lost all her substance to become mutant jesus.

All our meaningful relationships with close friends, family, spouses, are emotional. It doesn't mean that we are cheating on one because we recognise those feelings for another.
    Jean loves Scott. Her deep feelings for Logan, which Scott fully knows and understands, aren't really of any consequence to their relationship, then or now. So there's nothing for which to hold her accountable.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-26-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

They're not interested in any character being flawed, imo. Jean and Storm's fans take the cake for that but it's all over the appreciation threads. Sometimes the fans are almost as equally to blame as Editorial.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

All our meaningful relationships with friends, family, spouses, are emotional.
    Jean loves Scott. Her deep feelings for Logan, which Scott fully knows and understands, aren't really of any consequence.
    Exactly. Eventually, she comes to understand it and defines her relationship with Logan as "a bond, a deep, loving friendship" (X-Men #28, Blue Team). How is that different than her relationship with Ororo? Being attracted to Logan doesn't mean she had an "emotional affair" with him.

Saying so, doesn't make it so if it's never actually shown.

I like my faves flawed. I expect it. It makes them as human and "real" as imaginative, literary constructs could be.

Amazing Member

They're not interested in any character being flawed, imo. Jean and Storm's fans take the cake for that but it's all over the appreciation threads. Sometimes the fans are almost as equally to blame as Editorial.
    Very true this.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by placeholder View Post
    The rejection of Teen Jean, her Phoenix heritage and the positive reception of the way she has been written since her resurrection where she lost all her substance to become mutant jesus.
    I got you. I guess this is why I found Teen Jean far more interesting than any version of adult Jean (outside of Morrison).

True. That's why I don't post in the Storm appreciation thread, some of the posts are hardcore cringe. I can't deal with people that overly emotionally invested in fictional characters.

I like my faves flawed. I expect it. It makes them as human and "real" as imaginative, literary constructs could be.
    I agree. It's why Storm was at her best during the 80's. I've no interest in the all powerful perfect untouchable goddess persona.

It's also why Cyclops, Emma and Magneto are three of the strongest characters from a litary pov in the franchise. All are far more multifaceted than most super heroes, especially within the X-Men, and especially compared to the likes of say Nightcrawler or Colossus.
    Last edited by OmegaStorm87; 10-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.