Mighty Member

Default "Small world, isn't it?" Amazing coincidences personal, factual, historical etc.

Just finished reading an Oliver Sacks (Awakenings etc.) book. Turns out he was cousins with Al Capp (lil Abner).

In my personal life I've :

- scored a share apartment after it turned out my potential housemate used to go to my brother's cafe in Wagga Wagga.

- chatted with a customer I'd known for years at a charity store I worked at. Turns out her grandchildren were friends of my nieces in a small country town hundreds of miles away.

- got off a bus from Mt Fuji and minutes later bumped into a Japanese housemate I hadn't seen in years. I also had a workmate near my seat on a flight there one time, seeing her days later on a bus to a temple.

and YOUR small world stories?

I live in a rather small city so I bump quite often into people I already know.

What is remarkable is the number of times I read or think about a word and hear it on radio or TV… It feels magical.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Went to a holiday trip 3000 kilometers away from home and met a good customer of mine who was at the same destination. It happened two times in my life (different person)

Astonishing Member

A year or two after I graduated from college, I met two different people (one in a bookstore and one in a restaurant) whom I had known from my dorm at college. This was in a large metropolitan area 3000 miles away from that college.

Mighty Member

Also - was in line at the post office when a regular customer/donor from the charity shop I worked at across town came in. "Oh, hello! Fancy seeing you here!" Trouble was she worked at a private dance strip club near to our store and thought I was one of HER regular customers...

A crazy kid with severe ADHD from the high school I worked at is a fellow trader in rare VHS tapes at a market we both attend...

When I was in high school, I had a big crush on a girl who I eventually found out was the daughter of my dad's high school sweetheart. And then I found out that her best friend was the niece of my dad's best friend. Another girl I had a brief crush on in high school ended up marrying one of my cousins.

Speaking of cousins, I dated a woman about 10 years ago who turned out to be the cousin of a former co-worker of mine.

When my current significant other and I first started dating, I was surprised to discover that her father also a former co-worker. And then when I introduced her to my dad, I learned that my dad also used to work with her father.