Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default All-time favorite daytime soap opera

There's still 4 daytime soaps left on network TV but the heydays of that industry are definitely in the past.

Growing up in the 1970s (before VCRs) my Mom and Grandma planned their entire day around As The World Turns. Lol

If you ever watched them, what was your favorite daytime soap and when (years or decade) was your favorite time period that you enjoyed the show?

General Hospital. I still watch it now. I liked that they didn't drag out stories and have characters act like morons the way Days of Our Lives tended to. And the fact they made a mob boss and his enforcer the "heroes" was always funny to me.

I used to watch As The World Turns and The Bold and The Beautiful with my mom. We would watch them in the summer and during school she would tape them and we would watch them when I got home. Much to the chagrin of my father. This was in the 90's. She would even get the soap opera mags at the supermarket and we would read them

There were others that were goofy. I loved the one with the mob guy. But they never said he was in the mob. Just the Business or something. And everyone was scared of him for some reason but he never did anything. never attacked anyone other then the odd punch to the jaw. never had any one killed. Just glared a lot and talked about how dangerous he was but I always thought he was as dangerous as a wet sponge.

I dont watch daytime soaps any more but seeing the down slide of them and how few are left kind of makes me said.

What was the day time soap with the witch?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What was the day time soap with the witch?
    Passions? Tabitha and her offsider Timmy?

Technically you can count Dark Shadows as well with Angelique. She was a witch.

My favorite, easily, was All My Children, with One Life to Live a close second.

I guess Guiding Light would be third, and General Hospital fourth/last. Funny the last one I watched is the one still on the air.

Honorable mention to Loving/The City.

None were better IMO than 80's and 90's Days. Sadly it's a shadow of it's former self.

Speaking of Shadows Dark Shadows is my number two still watch it to this day with episodes on Amazon and Tubi.

BANNED

The Young and The Restless
    General Hospital

Have to be Neighbours for me, but that was a long time ago. Bit of a bold claim to say there are only four left in the World lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Passions? Tabitha and her offsider Timmy?

Technically you can count Dark Shadows as well with Angelique. She was a witch.
    Passions was it. Thanks
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Have to be Neighbours for me, but that was a long time ago. Bit of a bold claim to say there are only four left in the World lol.
    Neighbours is entirely funded by Britain at this point. Not many watch it here in Australia like they did. At least Neighbours remembers it's own continuity. Home And Away can't even keep it straight between episodes lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I used to watch As The World Turns and The Bold and The Beautiful with my mom. We would watch them in the summer and during school she would tape them and we would watch them when I got home.
    ATWT had a great storyline in the mid 90s that featured 2 of my favorite vets.

Lily's mother in law murdered Lisa's husband in the hospital. Lisa blamed John Dixon and sued him for malpractice - and won. This split the mighty Hughes family down the middle with Bob. Tom, and Barbara supporting Lisa while Kim, Margo, and Andy sided with John.

Eileen Fulton (Lisa) and Larry Bryggman (John) proved they could still carry a front-burner storyline. It remains one of my favorites from that show's long history.

Retired

My favourite was ALL MY CHILDREN. But I also like a lot of the others already mentioned here.

I still watch CORONATION STREET but it's not exactly a daytime soap, since it's on in the evening (and not on every day)--although I usually watch it in the daytime (a few episodes back to back).

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Young & Restless.

It was the universal soap when I was younger because it was shown after school at 4:30 on Global (Canada). Even in university, it was the show. You didn't want to head to the dorm dining room at 5:30 because the line was so long from all the folks running down after Y&R.

I also liked when they did the summer teen character stories. Pregnancy. Cults. Pool parties. Conflicts. Don't know if they still do it, but those were usually hot.

Retired

My mother watched LOVE OF LIFE from before I was born until it went off the air (in the 1970s or 1980s, I think). She'd always have her tea at that time (around eleven) and would send me outside to play when it was on (before I was school age).

Once we got cable in 1969 and we could get all the American channels, we quickly began to watch DARK SHADOWS, ONE LIFE TO LIVE and GENERAL HOSPITAL which were on just after school ended. As I recall, ALL MY CHILDREN started in the summer, because we watched it from the first episode and it was on around noon (or maybe we watched it on our lunch hour). At that time we also started watching YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS which was on in the morning either before or after LOVE OF LIFE.

There were two other soaps that started after that--but I can't remember the names now, they didn't last long, but one had a little boy getting an accidental overdose of illegal drugs, which really shocked me. And then there was RYAN'S HOPE and LOVING.

My mother was pretty faithful to ALL MY CHILDREN and YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS--she gradually dropped the other soaps. Y&R was on Global in the afternoon but it was also on CBS in the morning--so if she missed it at one time, she could always catch it another time.

I also got into ANOTHER WORLD for awhile and then DAYS OF OUR LIVES. But then I got hooked on Corrie--which I'd seen on CBC ever since I was a little kid, but never really watched it with any interest until later on in life.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 10-27-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Niffleheim

The Bell soaps for me The Bold & The Beautiful and The Young & the Restless and NBC Days of Our Lives when they did the demon possession story in the 90's. The peak decade was 90s and they were Prime Time not Daytime in my country when I was watching.
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-27-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough