Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Adam_Blake_(New_Earth)

Here's the Link to the DC Comics Database Captain Comet Page.

Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

CPT COMET 1.jpgalways been one of favs would've loved for him to have been on a JL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is there a collection of stories for CC? This thread made me want to really read a collection on him!
    The Secret Society of Super Villains has been issued in trades, I believe, but I'm not sure if they have been reprinting those trades. I'm pretty sure his stories from the 1950s have not been reprinted in a long time, if ever.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Captain Comet has been a favorite of mine since he started appearing in Secret Society of Super Villains in the 1970s. (I'm not old enough to have caught his appearances in the 1950s. I know that he has made spotty appearances over the decades, but with all the reboots, I'm not sure if he exists in the current DC Universe or if he is (again) a lost hero. Anybody have any information or thoughts on this? Wikipedia outlined a few appearances from 2011 and later, but I'm still not sure what his status is.
    As you may guess by my avatar, my all-time favorite DC character. Loved the classic SSSV and L.E.G.I.O.N Captain, and also enjoyed greatly when Jim Starlin revamped him. My first contact with the character was in Super-Team Family #13, and I always wondered why he didn't show up more in JLA (as far as I know, he only appeared in the book in a background shot, in civvies, in the issue of the Atom's wedding), nor joined the team. I have a version in my head that when Aquaman disbanded the League to form a full-time team, instead of creating a cheap copy of the Teen Titans like the JL Detroit (which, don't get me wrong, I loved), he'd recruit a few more mature heroes who were not being spotlighted elsewhere, Captain Comet among them. DC really is, IMHO, stuck in a creative desert nowadays, but I really wish they'd invest in a real galactic super-team with great characters such as Captain Comet, Adam Strange, The Wierd, Maxima, Starfire, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And then there was DC Special #27 (cover-dated April-May 1977):
    It also featured Tommy Tomorrow (the blonde guy in purple) as well as Chronos (among others).
    I have this. A great read. I always liked that Cap was also a very physical character, despite his mental powers. This book is a perfect exemple of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is there a collection of stories for CC? This thread made me want to really read a collection on him!
    There are two Secret Society of Super-Villains HCs that cover the 70's appearences of Captain Comet. Probably very hard to find (I have them, thankfully), but, if you don't mind digital, Amazon has them in kindle format.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Societ...5%2C1368077927
    https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Societ...5%2C1368077927

Peace

The Secret Society of Super Villains has been issued in trades, I believe, but I'm not sure if they have been reprinting those trades. I'm pretty sure his stories from the 1950s have not been reprinted in a long time, if ever.
    I remember a couple of them showed up in spaced-themed reprint comic books back in the 1970s . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I remember a couple of them showed up in spaced-themed reprint comic books back in the 1970s . . .
    Wow! Thanks for this, Major Hoy! Was this before or concurrent with his appearances in SSOV?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Wow! Thanks for this, Major Hoy! Was this before or concurrent with his appearances in SSOV?
    The two issues Captain Comet appeared in were released around the time that Secret Society of Super-Villains started.
    Adam Strange was the primary cover-feature of the four issues of DC Super-Stars (issues #2, 4, 6, and #8) that were space-themed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Are there 2 Captain Comet?

Retired

I think the first Captain Comet story I ever read must have been the one reprinted in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS 204 (August 1971)--"Guardians of the Clockwork Universe" from STRANGE ADVENTURES 22 (July 1952). Knowing how much I loved that comic book, discovering Captain Comet in it could have only added to my enjoyment.

So there are no new or current CC stories? I would think they would use him on a team such as JL or Legion.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Are there 2 Captain Comet?
    That was the start of the Jim Starlin revamp of the character. To sum it up, and I hope I remember it correctly, the original (the fallen one) was murdered by Lady Styxx, however, that event coincided with the return of the Wierd to our reality, and the vast mental powers of Captain Comet hitched a ride on his ressurection to form a new, younger body for himself (the standing one), a body that was physically a bit weaker than his original, but that, however, had full access to his mental powers, even having some new abilities, such as teleportation. Starlin took a few liberties with the character, taking advantage of the trauma to give Comet (he even abolished the use of the "Captain" for a while, but it didn't stick) a new, more selfish and less stiff personality, however the original heroic one ocassionally managed to shine through. I still ptrefer the 70's Cap, but I liked the revamp.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man it is a crime the DC has never collected any of the L.E.G.I.O.N. or R.E.B.E.L.S. series in trades. Such amazing series.

Retired

The cool thing about the remarkable return of Captain Comet in the 1970s was that little time had passed for him (since the 1950s), whereas lots of time had passed on Earth, on account of time dilation. Being in space, travelling at near the speed of light, Adam Blake had experienced time differently.

This is an interesting notion. And if we ever get to a state where space travel is commonplace, it will be a very real experience for many people. It's already something we have to account for, as our space craft are out of sync with clocks on Earth. But that will be magnified, when space ships are travelling to other planets and other solar systems.

It's sad that most comic books can't take advantage of that physical reality because they insist on having everything take place at the same time, no matter where it is in the universe. The Green Lantern Corps should be constantly having to adjust for the different passage of time for each member.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

DC Comics Presents #22 and 91.

SupermanCaptainComet.jpg