Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Strange Adventures #44. Cover by Murphy Anderson.

StrangeAdventures44.jpg

Has anyone read the Telos short series? I hear the New 52 Captain Comet shows up there. I didn't care much for the character of Telos in the Convergence event, but is it worth for a Captain Comet fan? I may get itin digital, in the next good sale.

Peace

Retired

Murphy Anderson had done the Buck Rogers comic strip in the late 1940s, so he was a natural choice for Captain Comet, but the original artst and co-creator (along with John Broome, writer) was Carmine Infantino who did the cover for Adam Blake's first appearance in STRANGE ADVENTURES 9 (June 1951).

Bob Oksner and Bernard Sachs did the next Comet cover for STRANGE ADVENTURES 10 (July 1951).

And Gil Kane did a cool cover for STRANGE ADVENTURES 12 (September 1951), that puts me in mind of his later work on John Carter of Mars.

<Sigh> I may have to open up my wallet for some of those early Strange Adventures with Captain Comet.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

My first exposure to the character of Captain Comet -
    7721952-aqu1.jpg

Well, Actually, it was the Brazilian version of the story.

ShowImage.jpg

Years later I got my hands on the story in the original English version and also many Secret Society of Super-Villains issues. Then, already a huge fan of the character, and having enjoyed his brief and crucial appearences in COIE, I got all his appearences in L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. Nowadays, I have the complete Atom story in the JUstice League Of America: The Wedding of the Atom HC, and all of Cap's Secret Society of Super-Villains appearences in the two HCs of the series. I still hunger for more.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    My first exposure to the character of Captain Comet -

Well, Actually, it was the Brazilian version of the story.

Years later I got my hands on the story in the original English version and also many Secret Society of Super-Villains issues. Then, already a huge fan of the character, and having enjoyed his brief and crucial appearences in COIE, I got all his appearences in L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. Nowadays, I have the complete Atom story in the JUstice League Of America: The Wedding of the Atom HC, and all of Cap's Secret Society of Super-Villains appearences in the two HCs of the series. I still hunger for more.
    And here in the U.S., it was in

Super-Team Family #13 (October-November 1977)

He should be used as the world's second most power psi (after J'onn).
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

Has he ever joined the JLA?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I think the last team I remembers him on was R.E.B.E.L.S.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 12-01-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    No. He was made an honorary member by Hawkman in the 70's, but he never got to formally join. In SSSV #5, he mentioned that, after being out of touch with Earth's society for about 20 years in space, he didn't feel that joining a high-profile organization like the Justice League was a good move for him. So, he shot down an invitation before it was even formalized (though it was sort of being discussed at the moment). I always found very strange that he never showed up in the League's book (except, as far as I know, for a background appearence at the Atom's wedding), let alone join them, specially considering that Gerry Conway, that was writing the League's book at the time, and a long time afterwards, was also responsible for many of his stories in the SSSV book around the same time. Most likely some editorial interfearence that we never knew about.

Peace

I just realized that when I sumrised Captain Comet's appearences prior to Flashpoint, I left out an important storyline. Cap was also front and center in the Infinite Crisis tie in series Rann/Thanagar War.
    1639921-rannthanagarwartpb.jpg
    It was collected, alongside a special issue, in the following TPB.

https://www.amazon.com/Rann-Thanagar...s%2C284&sr=8-1
    Below, the two covers of the mini-series in which Cap was most prominent.

311607-20002-123353-1-rann-thanagar-war.jpg311593-20002-123349-1-rann-thanagar-war.jpg

It was an okay read, featuring an older Captain Comet, not quite in his prime. It set up the stage for his death in 52 and the Jim Starlin revamp.

Peace

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    He should be used as the world's second most power psi (after J'onn).
    I don’t really see him as an earth based hero. I also see him has a character that is ripe for drastic reimagining. In a lot of ways he’s the opposite of Martian Manhunter. J’onn is a space alien that comes to earth. While Captain Comet is an earth man who goes to the stars.

They both play on that same “strangers in a strange land” style outsider role but in different ways.

Retired

It would have been cool, back in the day, if they had done a series of stories that filled in the gap between when he left Earth, in 1954, and when he returned, in 1976. I imagine it as being like THE ODYSSEY set in space (but not A SPACE ODYSSEY), a cosmic storm-tossed adventure.

Edit: Now that this has been given the "Appreciation Thread" label, this will be my last post here. It's my rule to never post to appreciation threads. Sorry about that, Chief.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-04-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    No. He was made an honorary member by Hawkman in the 70's, but he never got to formally join. In SSSV #5, he mentioned that, after being out of touch with Earth's society for about 20 years in space, he didn't feel that joining a high-profile organization like the Justice League was a good move for him. So, he shot down an invitation before it was even formalized (though it was sort of being discussed at the moment). I always found very strange that he never showed up in the League's book (except, as far as I know, for a background appearence at the Atom's wedding), let alone join them, specially considering that Gerry Conway, that was writing the League's book at the time, and a long time afterwards, was also responsible for many of his stories in the SSSV book around the same time. Most likely some editorial interfearence that we never knew about.

Peace
    I was just thinking that as much as I like Manchester Black, I'd prefer Captain Comet on my team.