Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I think the original concept was a good one and the first few arcs with them in the present was engaging. But they should have gone home before or during Battle of the Atom. Jeen was given the most real progression as a character, which of course was completely wiped away afterwards. Scott got some emotional bits as Mercury noted, and I did like his outreach to Rachel via Bunn towards the end. I think Iceman got the most lasting development even though. Angel and Beast got things that made no sense and were spirited away thankfully.

And while elements of Extermination were good, I am tainted from enjoying that event given what was done to Rachel and how she was treated by adult Jean the entirety of the event, and then everyone other than Bobby at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Like with most interesting ideas Bendis has after the initial arc things starts to fall apart rather quickly! So many of the issues with the 05 being in the present were never addressed in a meaningful way. We never got an explanation on why Magik or Tempus couldn't send them back. Or why Rachel Summers the daughter of Jean Grey was never consulted on helping her manage her powers!

I'll always be grateful that this run brought Jean back but the story and arc all feel like wasted years where we could have been focusing on the X-men line instead of a gimmick that went on several years too long!
    All this, but specifically the whole Rachel bit. I understand Bendis not wanting to "add baggage" to Jean and Scott, but by purposefully keeping Rachel apart from them left gaping holes in in All New and WatX. Forcing Aaron to send Rachel out of her book at times so she wouldn't be allowed to interact with Jean or Scott until Battle of The Atom, which was next to nothing. I don't think Jeen and Rachel ever had any meaningful conversations at all until the Jeen mini and then it was that one page really.

But yes to being thankful it gave us Jean, which then gave us adult Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I was always disappointed that this era didn't involve Lorna spending just about any time at all with teen Jean or teen Iceman.

Lorna was the second woman to join the team, meaning she was Jean's first female friendship before Storm. Lorna was also Iceman's first "love interest." Lorna joined the team from just shortly after the time period the teen O5 was pulled from, so she knows more about who they were and what they were like than most characters. It would've been a golden opportunity to establish that past for all three and go forward in a new setting.

Unfortunately, Marvel decided to generally keep Lorna away from the O5. And when she did interact with them, the most she did was training with Angel, nothing with Jean or Iceman.
    I think that if they had taken the O5 from a period right after Lorna was introduced, that might have been different. But Lorna had more on panel time with Jeen than Rachel did during their entire stint in the present via Blue. So that says where their priorities were.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Jeen was given the most real progression as a character, which of course was completely wiped away afterwards.
    To be clear, none of their progressions or developments have been "completely wiped away." They are still considered canon and part of each characters' mental/emotional toolbox for future writers. Considering where he would end up going with the franchise, Hickman not wanting to tap into this makes sense. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if future writers pull from this era to flesh out the original five.

I also disagree that Jean's progression was completely wiped away. Jean came back in X-men Red and LED her own team of X-men for the first time (Im not counting that makeshift team from EOD which was a temporary emergency). IMO that was the biggest bit of progression she got from that era and I do think Teen Jean paved the way for her. Heck she is back to leading a team of X-men now.

Mercury i should have clarified. That wasn’t an anti-gay Bobby post, it was my speculation as to why Bendis was the one to do it and why he did it when he did. He waited until the last two issues of his all-New run to both do the coming out and then deal with the ramifications for older Bobby. He could have been telling nuanced stories with gay Bobby for half of his run if he wanted to but again waited until the last minute for the reveal.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 11-03-2021 at 02:25 PM.

I hated Bendis doing that to Bobby too RIGHT before he left the book. It would have been more acceptable had he been dropping hints throughout his run but there was no buildup to that reveal. It came out of left field and didnt ring true for the character bc Bendis failed to connect the dots. Bobby's gay....bye!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Bendis' Jean was my favorite Jean. The repeated indiscriminate use of her telepathy was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I hated Bendis doing that to Bobby too RIGHT before he left the book. It would have been more acceptable had he been dropping hints throughout his run but there was no buildup to that reveal. It came out of left field and didnt ring true for the character bc Bendis failed to connect the dots. Bobby's gay....bye!
    Eh. Some people used to claim Bendis having young Bobby joke he was a Disney Princess was “Bendis dropping hints”, as if that isn’t stereotypical, homophobic trash-talk.

Probably my favorite Emma moment. She came off as badass and real, but endearing too. From All-New X-Men #37:

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I didn't mind at first since I read X-Factor growing up and I just wanted Jean back.

But man, this dragged on way longer than it should have especially after Secret Wars.

All-New vol.1 and X-Men Blue were OK. I can't believe Extermination was 3 years ago. I still remember the threads with everyone predicting Mimic was gonna die lol.
    "Cable was right!"

I just feel overall this run focused on a lot of irrelevant **** with no real lasting effect, like Bobby being Gay now is all there is the only significant change & since this is 6 years of storytelling that's kinda pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I just feel overall this run focused on a lot of irrelevant **** with no real lasting effect, like Bobby being Gay now is all there is the only significant change & since this is 6 years of storytelling that's kinda pathetic.
    The time-displacement arc is really about character development, though there were also some notable storylines. As for why it hasn't been referenced much since it ended, Hickman took over less than a year after Extermination, and he's pretty much ignored many of the pre-Krakoa developments. Still, what the original five went through has been established at canon and is part of each's "character toolbox," which can be used at any time by any writer.

Also, probably the most lasting development that came out of this era is that explained how and why Jean and Scott got back together after her resurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    The time-displacement arc is really about character development, though there were also some notable storylines. As for why it hasn't been referenced much since it ended, Hickman took over less than a year after Extermination, and he's pretty much ignored many of the pre-Krakoa developments. Still, what the original five went through has been established at canon and is part of each's "character toolbox," which can be used at any time by any writer.

Also, probably the most lasting development that came out of this era is that explained how and why Jean and Scott got back together after her resurrection.
    Did it? I dont think the time displaced X-men had anything to do with Jean and Scott reuniting. When she returned in Phoenix Resurrection, she clearly still loved him and wanted to be with him. Scott did too in the brief moments that he was alive. In X-men Red, she expressed wishing he was there with her. This was before any of their memories of their past selves was unlocked. I dont think any of that would have mattered. If you count her death in NXM, his in DOX, then her coming back in PR, him coming back and dying again in PR, her "dying" in Disasembled and him returning, just missing her, you have an explanation for why they reunited. They kept missing each other and UXM 22 was the first time in years that they were allowed to be in the same space and not have to fear that being pulled apart from them

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Did it? I dont think the time displaced X-men had anything to do with Jean and Scott reuniting. When she returned in Phoenix Resurrection, she clearly still loved him and wanted to be with him. Scott did too in the brief moments that he was alive. In X-men Red, she expressed wishing he was there with her. This was before any of their memories of their past selves was unlocked. I dont think any of that would have mattered. If you count her death in NXM, his in DOX, then her coming back in PR, him coming back and dying again in PR, her "dying" in Disasembled and him returning, just missing her, you have an explanation for why they reunited. They kept missing each other and UXM 22 was the first time in years that they were allowed to be in the same space and not have to fear that being pulled apart from them
    I have to reread the moment in X-Men: Red that you referenced. However, just because she longed for him to be back, doesn't mean she wanted to be in a relationship with him again. She may have just been wishing he was alive again. In either case, her memories as a time-displaced teenager were restored to her adult self in December 2018, the same month X-Men: Red finished.

I think it's safe to say that those memories, which contained their conversations regarding Emma, Scott turning dark, etc., were somewhat pivotal in their coming back together.

It lasted 6 years?! Wow, I knew it lasted a while but didn’t realize that it was 6 whole years because so little development happened with those characters. Honestly, if Iceman wasn’t turned gay during that run there would be no lasting effects. Every development the teen O5 went trough was wiped out right before they returned to the past and then the adult versions supposedly regained their removed memories after that point but none of it has ever been referenced since. It had potential as a one or two arc story but I remember thinking even back then that it should have ended with BotA instead of being stretched out. I think the most frustrating part of it was that even back then I knew that the whole story could only end with O5 going back with all their developments erased (which is what happened) or them being revealed as being alternate reality and staying in the present as their own separate characters (which probably would have been the more interesting idea honestly).

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    the adult versions supposedly regained their removed memories after that point but none of it has ever been referenced since.
    Scott's stint on the Champions is referenced whenever he interacts with them, as seen in Outlawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.