Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It was a good idea that overstayed way too long, one arc is a bit small ig but it should have ended w/ the run.They lost direction and momentum afterwards.Jean fans(including me) would like it for her since it's like 80% her and then 20% distributed b/w the guys, not to mention her solo as well.I also binge read it, well most of it.Read the last of it as it came out.

Also being written by Bendis after his prime didn't help, after death of Spider-man he lost his touch.The Miles comics showed that(I had to read all of them for feats and stuff, it was not fun), this cemented it.

I'd say the artwork for that initial run was *chef's kiss*
    The only thing that was great was the artwork.

I thought this was an awesome concept, and I was extremely interested at first. Of course, I figured they'd also only be around for 1 to 4 arcs, so like two years at the most and was thinking probably just 2 arcs and one year. The concept dragged on WAY too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I thought this was an awesome concept, and I was extremely interested at first. Of course, I figured they'd also only be around for 1 to 4 arcs, so like two years at the most and was thinking probably just 2 arcs and one year. The concept dragged on WAY too long.
    A finishing arc after the Black Vortex would have probably been just right from my PoV, but I think editorial mandated them for a longer stay.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I liked this version I feel it focused too much on Jean & Scott though the other 3 didn't really have **** going on throughout the 6 years, Bobby, came out sure but that was towards the end, Warren just got the Laura romance, & Hank when not thirsting for Jean just had a magic arc that's all I can remember.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I was never fond of the concept, and as most others have said, it never should have been more than a mini-series. I don't generally enjoy Bendis' work with established characters, but I do appreciate that his Jeen was allowed to be flawed in ways original Jean never was, and that he used his sway to let Iceman finally come out. He worked a lot with Cyclops as well, but that didn't work as well for me because the attempt to contrast between adult Scott and the teen version was shallow and ultimately they were on the same team and behaving pretty much the same. That focus would have been better spent on teen Hank being appalled at the sociopath the adult Beast had become. Angel was a non-entity.

The Hallum (Hopeless) run was fine, kind of boring and meandering, the post SW status quo with the Inhuman death fog and Eeeeevil Cyclops didn't help at all. I did like the sub clique of Iceman, Idie, and Evan, they were fun. Everything else was just kind of nothing.

X-Men Blue was bad. Bunn was very open about not wanting to write the O5, and it showed in the writing. No redeeming qualities that I can think of, just a terrible book.

I went on Hiatus when this started. Glad I did

Stuart Immonen, Jorge Molina, R.B. Silva, Pepe Larraz, Mahmud Asrar, Russell Dauterman... Yup. The art really was the best thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

You all are crushing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I’m glad the nickname made you chuckle. ::sending you good vibes::

Anyway, this era strikes me as the type of run best digested in a relatively short period of time. Editorial and the writers as a whole did a great job of tying everything together in a way that seems completely planned. However, I could see growing frustrated and impatient with it if read real time, i.e., month to month, because the set-up is temporary, or at least meant to be, by its very nature. So, waiting for the payoff, i.e., the teens going back to the past, must’ve been maddening.

However, reading it while knowing there’s a definite end to the story allows you to focus on the nuances and emotional arcs, which is where this era really shines. I love it to bits.
    I appreciate it, seems we don't have much positive vibes on a regular basis.

I just can't get behind the interpretations of the characters at all.

You all are crushing me.

Oh no, don't feel bad uh... someone help me out here
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    X-Men Blue was bad. Bunn was very open about not wanting to write the O5, and it showed in the writing. No redeeming qualities that I can think of, just a terrible book.
    Oh wait! I just remembered the McKelvie costume designs, those were pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Oh no, don't feel bad uh... someone help me out here
    I enjoyed the Bendis/Immonen issues of All-New X-Men, the Cyclops miniseries, most of Bunn's X-Men Blue, and Extermination.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

You all are crushing me.

If it helps, my friend really liked them. And they helped him get into the X-Men franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Fantastic Member

I always look at it this way, The Jean fan in me loved it, the Scott fan of me didn't take too kindly too it. Also side note Mercury, I wanna say your demeanor in general is very warming and extremely Jean like. Keep the vibe :3

I was always disappointed that this era didn't involve Lorna spending just about any time at all with teen Jean or teen Iceman.

Lorna was the second woman to join the team, meaning she was Jean's first female friendship before Storm. Lorna was also Iceman's first "love interest." Lorna joined the team from just shortly after the time period the teen O5 was pulled from, so she knows more about who they were and what they were like than most characters. It would've been a golden opportunity to establish that past for all three and go forward in a new setting.

Unfortunately, Marvel decided to generally keep Lorna away from the O5. And when she did interact with them, the most she did was training with Angel, nothing with Jean or Iceman.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I enjoyed the Bendis/Immonen issues of All-New X-Men, the Cyclops miniseries, most of Bunn's X-Men Blue, and Extermination.
    Immonen’s art is stunning. I wish he was still drawing our favorite mutants. He’s severely underrated.