Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

This event has lost me. 80 pages in, 50% through and we're still doing the same Quiet Council shenanigans with no sense that either Mystique/Destiny or Orchis are moving towards some giant move against Krakoa. With Mystique/Destiny we seem farther from that than at the end of issue 1. Combined with the continued plot-induced stupidity I can't get invested. There are individual scenes that are good, but overall this is feeling like the Senate scenes in Phantom Menace only it makes less sense.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hickman has done wonders with Mystique. Glad to see a writer doing right by Raven again.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Yeah, the Emma thing fell flat. Her being upset and not trusting Charles and Magneto rang hollow. Emma has constantly lied and manipulated people up till present time. It was ridiculous the story is trying to frame it as something we should sympathize or understand her anger given her character and usual M.O. She wasn't the right point of view character in that instance and it would have worked better if they chose someone else. Charles and Magneto just look dumb trying to bring her in vs practically anyone else.
    I agree. It didn't really work for me either.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Charles has been enabling Hank's bad behavior. I honestly think Hank would be all in.
    Hank on the Council would have his own agenda, he would not be loyal to Xavier, and he would be difficult to manipulate. Blackmail might work, but it would be temporary and only serve to motivate Hank to oust Xavier and Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Most relationships that occurred outside of Claremont's run are usually ignored especially since Bobby has been revealed to be gay and Mystique real love is Destiny.

Iceman trust Kitty more than Emma because he has known both Kitty and Xavier much longer than Emma.

Iceman or Jean would have been better as a member of council. Yeah, I know Jean is on X-Men team but she can be persuaded to rejoin due to the gravity of the problem.
    Bobby and Emma's relationship has been developed in Marauders, that wouldn't be ignored. Kate is also much more willing now to concede to Emma before Xavier, add Bobby and that could be a solid voting block working against X&M. Bobby has also had enough negative interactions with Xavier, and definitely with Mags that it would be more difficult for them to manipulate him than Colossus.

Jean can't be on the Council and the X-Men, and she would not be manipulated by either Xavier or Erik.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    This event has lost me. 80 pages in, 50% through and we're still doing the same Quiet Council shenanigans with no sense that either Mystique/Destiny or Orchis are moving towards some giant move against Krakoa. With Mystique/Destiny we seem farther from that than at the end of issue 1. Combined with the continued plot-induced stupidity I can't get invested. There are individual scenes that are good, but overall this is feeling like the Senate scenes in Phantom Menace only it makes less sense.
    What? They're about to hijack the gates and release the full power of the sun on Krakoa or something like that...

I do get the Mystique complaints of her fooling everyone. I would've rather they had her go to one of those Arrakki. I'm sure since they're so advanced they would've had tools too. And it would've made sense for them to bring Destiny back too.

Also, what about Omega Sentinel revealing a "secret" to Nimrod? Wonder where that's leading.

And if Colossus is possessed or whatever in his own book. Is that what they want him? Easier to manipulate him instead of helping him? A sneaky Xavier did show up to see him in XFORCE after he killed Kayla.

Mighty Member

I thought the Emma thing made sense because they needed someone who's very "ends justify the means" but also not too "**** you got mine"

The first category eliminates:

Kurt
    Kitty

The second category eliminates

Shaw
    Sinister

That leaves you with

Emma
    Exodus
    Storm

Of those 3, Emma is the most willing to go with Clandestine chicanery

So Magneto didn't miss his Cerebro for 4 weeks?

and the Five wouldn't have mentioned the Destiny ressurection with anyone?

lol

Mighty Member

^ They'd also need someone with a colder personality which would've taken out Storm and Exodus.

Mighty Member

I assume Omega Sentinel's secret is she's not actually our Karima but the Karima from life 9

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Idiot Plot. I keep saying it with the Mystique issues of X-men and its readily apparent in Inferno. Basically the entire plot relies on every person making the worst decisions every time, making the dumbest mistakes just to keep the story going.

Colossus has barely spoken at all since the start of HoXPoX, and he's compromised by his brother. There are dozens of better people, even if they're just looking for dumb yes-men to be pushed around by Xavier and Magneto.
    Hickman just knows how to write and pace a plot, so his inconsistencies are easily obscured. Though I don’t agree with a lot of his decisions and the directions in which he’s taken certain characters, I enjoy the hell out of his books.

The Colossus reveal was certainly a WTF moment, but in a good, I can’t wait to see where this will go because you just know it’s all going to fucking implode, kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    As for why Emma and not Storm or any of the more trustworthy characters? I don't want to insult her fans too harshly here, but she's been the pet character for many of the writers of this relaunch. Its kept the real important characters for Hickman's work as the telepaths and the wealthy white people, and I hate it. Is it too much to ask for a single legit hero and good person to be involved in these matters?
    I, too, don’t want to insult any of her fans, but these are valid points. I think what bothers me most about Emma being shoehorned into every book and plot this era is that it just doesn’t feel authentic as much as it does like stans finally getting the chance to do what they want with their favorite character. It feels forced. Also, I don’t feel she’s ever been made to answer for the things she’s done to several characters throughout the years. (Mind you, you all know I’m a huge Jean fan, so I feel I need to make it clear that this in no way has to do with her history with Scott; well, adult Scott, that is - I consider him responsible for you know what - because the sick stunts she pulled on teenage Scott and Jean still make me shudder in disgust.) I suppose I can relate to people wishing Jean would be condemned for her connection with Logan, though, in terms of not being held accountable, I find the disparity between her and Emma staggering, to say the least.

Ultimately, I just don’t like what she represents. She’s never felt like an X-Man to me, even with the tragedies they wrote into her history to make her more appealing years after her first appearances. As far as I can tell, her strengths as a character usually exist at the expense of other characters, i.e., insulting, manipulating, and undermining them. The fact that she’s treated as if she were one of the original first or second genesis X-Men baffles me.

Besides, Storm should’ve been the natural choice. She’s a QC member, has been a leader of the X-Men longer than anyone on that council - well, technically not anymore - has worked intimately and extensively with Erik and Xavier, and, out of that group of people, is the one they can trust most. She also deserves such consideration. Thankfully, they have other great things going on for her to make up for these slights. The same could be said for Cyclops and Jean.

However, with as underhanded as Xavier and Erik have been, maybe they were hoping to pin a bird of the same feather, in which case their choice makes complete sense. It looks like that bird is going to bite them in the ass and I’m here for the drama of it all!
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-27-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Mighty Member

Somebody just updated the Quiet Council of Krakoa page even before the vote has been cast for the last council member. Does this mean that Peter is going to be voted into the council in issue #3?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Quiet...oa_(Earth-616)

I think the ending of latest issue of X-Force with Xavier appearing means he approached Peter to come in as a council member.
    Last edited by ericng; 10-27-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The Emma scene doesn't work IMO because Emma herself has manipulated people, and done shady things akin to Xavier and Magneto. This very issue demonstrates that she has her own plan/agenda and her being mad at the two of them just doesn't make much sense. I doubt they know about whatever it is she wanted from that box Mystique gave her.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Whatever love Bobby had for Raven is long gone he would side with Emma & Kitty over her anyday, he would have been a much better choice than Colosus who has betrayed both Erik & Charles in the past & has I tense mental/emotional trauma.
    The point is that Bobby has enough history with Mystique that he would be willing to listen to her concerns. The fact that he would side with Kate and Emma before Xavier and Magneto would be a potential problem for X&M. Colossus' mental health problems just make him that much easier to manipulate (just ask Xeno).

Emma can be trusted to keep the secret if she thinks it's for the best. Storm and Kate would have felt morally compelled to share Moira's existence with the rest of Krakoa, or at the very least the other X-Men.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This. Was. A. Revelation. Literally and figuratively. LOVED IT!!!

What exactly is Omega Sentinel?
    Mystique and Destiny are the only ones who know just how advanced Orchis' plans are...so that's a trump they can play at the right time.
    I understand why Piotr is important to Inferno, now...the choice just seems a little chaotic and way out of the blue, considering no one there knows that he's compromised.

Things are coming to a head and fast.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The Emma scene doesn't work IMO because Emma herself has manipulated people, and done shady things akin to Xavier and Magneto. This very issue demonstrates that she has her own plan/agenda and her being mad at the two of them just doesn't make much sense. I doubt they know about whatever it is she wanted from that box Mystique gave her.
    Yeah, I'm not sure who to root for at this point. They all seem cut from the same cloth.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

I can see why Colossus was selected. He's likely taking Jean's spot on the Summer seat. Outside of being a yes-man, he's got a big heart and he's friends with most of the council. He might not be a recognized leader, but he has a big heart, is level-headed and gentle. In a council filled with backstabbing and political conflict, he's great for the role. There are other X-Men who could fit the role, but he's still a good candidate in his own right.

I can also see why they went to Emma, too. She's more of a wild card compared to X-Men like Storm and Kitty, who are all but guaranteed to side with Charles over most issues anyway. She also has a lot of power and resources unique to her. She's a great person to have on their side, and even if she becomes an enemy, she'd still fight for the good of all mutants above all else.

Aaaaand I can consider why she's pissed. Yeah, she keeps secrets, manipulated people and lies as well. But Charles and Magneto were sitting on something game-changing for years, and they only decided to let her in on it when it benefited them. They're essentially giving her a decision that she can't turn down, after manipulating everyone into this situation in the first place. Hypocritical or not, Emma has a right to be pissed. That said, I don't think she'll be 100% good during this event, which has been all about the shades of gray that color the council.

Though if Emma voted before Shaw, Mystique's plan would have fallen apart lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.