Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Default S.W.O.R.D. #9 Spoilers - [REDACTED] is the mole

We see Peter Gyrich and James Hudson discussing the terraforming of Mars/Arakko. There is a brief back and forth between them as Gyrich accuses James Hudson of harboring pro-mutant sentiments (he's friends with Logan? I don't know these people), but ultimately James Hudson is #teamORCHIS. Their response to the mutant threat? A mutant working for them.

Empress Xandra arrives at Arakko with her Imperial Guard + Cannonball. The Empress is bummed since Storm is at yet another American Idol elimination round lip syncing for her life. Meanwhile on the station, Brand appoints OG Cable as Acting Commander. The data page is about Brand's doubts about this arrangement and her acknowledgment that history will not be kind to her. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and stuff.

Xandra is really bummed about Storm not showing up, and the New Lethal Legion attacks the Shi'ar. Second data page shows all the members...with kind of tongue-in-cheek descriptions. Storm arrives just in time to save them.

Last scene is Peter Gyrich contacting the mole...who is Wiz Kid.

EDIT: Stop the Sneaky Asian Traitor Stereotype Challenge.
    Last edited by sensormellow; 10-27-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Mighty Member

I got so caught up with Inferno I forgot this came out.

Wiz Kid?! Yikes. I hope the explanation does him justice.

Can't wait to read.

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

My favorite panel. Allow me to be shallow, but I hope they keep this look for Storm when they relaunch next year.

Storm at SWORD no. 9.jpg

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Good issue. Gyrich is such a little ****. The Lethal Legion really tore through the Imperial Guard pretty easily. Setting up a Brand and Cable conflict, interesting. Nooooooo, Taki! Hopefully he's a double agent, I don't want to lose the character to Orchis. Cable needs a new costume. The art was fine, but not as good as Schiti.

The Krakoan at the end says INSIDE MAN. Not the most interesting preview, but yeah. But I hate how it's formated like

INSID
    EMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Incredible Member

the fact that it ends with brand standing behind wiz kid make it seem like hes a double agent spying for her instead

Wolverine was a member of Alpha Flight back in the day. I'm hoping the MCU leans into that.

I didn't expect who the mole is.

Amazing Member

Another week, another instance of Storm showing no substance but displaying some girlboss feat to easily resolve what could be an interesting conflict. What a time to be alive.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So who are on the Lethal Legion?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So who are on the Lethal Legion?
    I think they're OCs. We have Half-Bot, a droid that's possessing the corpse of a horse-man (Kymellian?); Mr. Eloquent, a shirtless guy with an energy chainsaw for an arm; The Electric Head, a giant brain in a suit; Orbis Extremis, a naked lady in a ball; and Death Grip, who can kill with a touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Amazing Member

Watching that last panel and the fact that the book made it a point to mention Brand has been doing **** the Council (or anyone in Krakoa) would not be in line with, it's kinda implied Wiz Kid is a double agent.

I guess next issue we find out Brand's motivations or, if he's indeed a mole, Wiz Kid's reasoning for working with ORCHIS.

I'm intrigued. Al Ewing better have at least 1 prominent book for the relaunch, this X-line needs him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    the fact that it ends with brand standing behind wiz kid make it seem like hes a double agent spying for her instead
    Same

Excited either way

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    That was my take as well. Also, James Hudson (aka Vindicator) is not a mutant.

Also, the solicitation for issue #11 has Cable and Wiz Kid fighting the Lethal Legion together. Maybe that’s to not give away the spoiler, but I’m seriously hoping it’s a bait-and-switch and Cable asked Wiz to pretend to be a mole to infiltrate Orchis and outplay Gyrich. Fingers crossed, but that would be typical Nathan Summers and awesome AF.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I think they're OCs. We have Half-Bot, a droid that's possessing the corpse of a horse-man (Kymellian?); Mr. Eloquent, a shirtless guy with an energy chainsaw for an arm; The Electric Head, a giant brain in a suit; Orbis Extremis, a naked lady in a ball; and Death Grip, who can kill with a touch.
    and they took out the imperial guard pretty easily.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    That was my take as well. Also, James Hudson (aka Vindicator) is not a mutant.

Also, the solicitation for issue #11 has Cable and Wiz Kid fighting the Lethal Legion together. Maybe that’s to not give away the spoiler, but I’m seriously hoping it’s a bait-and-switch and Cable asked Wiz to pretend to be a mole to infiltrate Orchis and outplay Gyrich. Fingers crossed, but that would be typical Nathan Summers and awesome AF.
    The mole has been around since before Cable was resurrected though. This is most likely Brand's doing though I wouldn't be surprised to know that Cable has caught on.