Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default All Deaths and Resurrections

We all know comics are notorious for killing and bringing back characters like nobody's business. Let's see if we can count how man times this happened. I'd appreciate any elaboration anyone can offer on these, like actual issues, etc.

Prof X: One of the earliest examples, I'm pretty sure, is Prof. X being killed and brought back shortly afterwards in the early (pre-Giant Size) X-Men days.

Jean Grey: Probably the most high-profile case, killed at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga, brought back in the 90s.

Hawkeye: Was dead for like less than a year before Scarlet Witch brought him back.

Colossus: Killed in X-Men, resurrected in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Kitty Pryde: "Killed" in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, but with the severe hint that she may return. Not sure if that ever happened.

Human Torch: I remember he was killed some time ago, with Spider-Man having a talk with Franklin about how his uncle died too. I assume he eventually came back.

Jean Grey killed again in 2001 by Xorneto. Resurrected 15 years later by Xorneto.

Black Bolt killed himself while detonating a bomb, riping a whole in space, and later reappeared from the sky.

Vulcan was killed in the bomb detonation and reappeared the same exact way Black Bolt did.

Captain America died and returned.

Cyclops died and in less than a year, returned.

One of Multiple Man died, but they gave another one his own comic series like a month afterwards.

Triton died.

Maximus died.

Wolverine died a few years ago.

Psylocke died in Claremont's X-treme X-Men was resurrected by her brother Jamie.

All the New mutants died...killed and then resurrected by the Beyonder

Magik died from the Legacy Virus and was brought back via time-displacement and Limbo stepping disks.

The Scarlet Witch died and will be revived by the end of the event.

Ben Grimm died and was resurrected.

REed Richards and Doctor Doom thought dead, later found to be missing.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-28-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

- Black Bolt killed himself while detonating a bomb, riping a whole in space, and later reappeared from the sky.
    -Vulcan was killed in the bomb detonation and reappeared the same exact way Black Bolt did.
    - Captain America died and returned.
    - Cyclops died and in less than a year, returned.
    - One of Multiple Man died, but they gave another one his own comic series like a month afterwards.
    - Triton died.
    -Maximus died.
    -Jean Grey died in 2001 and returned 15 years later.
    -The Scarlet Witch died and will be revived by the end of the event.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    (Evolving first post).

WE all know comics are notorious for killing and bringing back characters like nobody's business. Let's see if we can count how man times this happened. I'd appreciate any elaboration anyone can offer on these, like actual issues, etc.

Prof X: One of the earliest examples, I'm pretty sure, is Prof. X being killed and brought back shortly afterwards in the early (pre-Giant Size) X-Men days.

Jean Grey: Probably the most high-profile case, killed at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga, brought back in the 90s.

Hawkeye: Was dead for like less than a year before Scarlet Witch brought him back.

Colossus: Killed in X-Men, resurrected in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Kitty Pryde: "Killed" in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, but with the severe hint that she may return. Not sure if that ever happened.

Human Torch: I remember he was killed some time ago, with Spider-Man having a talk with Franklin about how his uncle died too. I assume he eventually came back.
    Can't remember if it was a retcon or part of the original story...but Xavier went into hiding and had Changeling take his place and it was Changeling who died.

As for Kitty...she did not die...just used her power to phase a giant bullet and was stuck in it keeping it phased until Magneto brought it back and she got out of it.

Jean died at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga (there was the retcon but let's forget that), then came back. Died again in the Morrison run twice: the first time stabbed by Logan when they approached the sun, she resurrects with the Phoenix power in the sun, goes to earth, then she was killed for real by Xorneto. In Endsong, Phoenix resurrects Jean prematurely, then she is stabbed like a million times but keeps resurrecting. Goes to the White Hot Room. Remains dead/in the WHR. Brought back almost 15 years after her death by Xorneto, in Phoenix Resurrection. Killed again in the mission against Orchis in House of X. Resurrected by The Five. Some time later she was killed alongside other mutants by Logan on a mission in X-Force (although that's Krakoan era so they got resurrected shortly after). My girl had a really harsh cycle of life and death.
    Last edited by Starchilde; 10-27-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Currently dead Doctor Strange. Probably going to be back soon.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Who was the first Marvel character resurrected ever?

Always thought there should be a story where Death has a major grievance that starts with that person. A grievance that can only be remedied with the permanent demise of said person, thus ending all resurrections forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

Always thought there should be a story where Death has a major grievance that starts with that person. A grievance that can only be remedied with the permanent demise of said person, thus ending all resurrections forevermore.
    That would make an interesting story. Won't stop the cycle of resurrection forever, only poor market performance does, but would be funny to read.
    BTW I think...that we can consider cap the first one, in a way. Or perhaps, according to latest retcon, Hulk...

Astonishing Member

In the original X-Men run Prof X faked his death twice. He wasn't really dead. If it was done intentionally that way? I don't know.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

They actually killed him off as he was infected by a Brood Queen and his body cloned and mind transferred into the new body.

Wolverine died a few years ago.

Psylocke died in Claremont's X-treme X-Men was resurrected by her brother Jamie.

Scarlet Witch died a couple of months ago and is already back, sort of but not really.

All the New mutants died...killed and then resurrected by the Beyonder

Magic died from the Legacy Virus and was brought back via time-displacement and Limbo stepping disks.

When you think on it...it might actually be more difficult to list who has never died in the MU.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-28-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    When you think on it...it might actually be more difficult to list who has never died in the MU.
    Indeed.

For the FF, Johnny and Ben have both been actually dead and then resurrected.
    Reed and Doom were thought to be dead, but were displaced and missing.
    Valeria was stillborn and then brought back by her brother.

I categorize these three ways.
    1- thought to be dead but hidden away for story purposes. This can be planned or retro-fitted, but the focus is the character didn't actually die.
    2- actually dead, but planned for a quick comeback.
    3- actually dead, left for dead but brought back by a future creative team.

The only character never to come back has always been Chuck Cunningham. He is not spoken of to outsiders.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

That could be a fun concept. I'd read it based on that description alone.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Indeed.

For the FF, Johnny and Ben have both been actually dead and then resurrected.
    Reed and Doom were thought to be dead, but were displaced and missing.
    Valeria was stillborn and then brought back by her brother.

I categorize these three ways.
    1- thought to be dead but hidden away for story purposes. This can be planned or retro-fitted, but the focus is the character didn't actually die.
    2- actually dead, but planned for a quick comeback.
    3- actually dead, left for dead but brought back by a future creative team.

The only character never to come back has always been Chuck Cunningham. He is not spoken of to outsiders.
    The way I'm going about it is if they were intended to be killed by one creative team, then brought back by another, or at least was intended to be thought dead by the audience for a year or so, real-time. That may be because they were never really dead, or because they were resurrected. What I don't like to include is someone who died and was resurrected in the same issue, or within a few issues, with the intention never to actually keep them dead for very long.

Spectacular Member

Way too many to list them all. Just off the top of my head, and not mentioned above:
    Guardian
    Other members of Alpha Flight later revived by Hercules
    Most of Scourge's victims
    Egghead
    Dr Dorcas
    Vision
    Thor
    Mr Fantastic
    Nick Fury (original)
    Human Torch (android)
    Bruce Banner
    Hellcat
    Mockingbird
    Green Goblin (Norman)
    Green Goblin (Harry)
    etc etc etc
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm going to guess and say maybe Wonder Man/Simon Williams? He died in his debut appearance in Avengers #9 but returned later they began retconning his death in Avengers #102 which shows his brother Eric Williams aka the Grim Reaper is keeping his body and wants to get the Vision to help him bring his brother back to life.

Extraordinary Member

Magik erased herself from existence to give a younger version of herself a chance at a better life. Younger version dies from Legacy Virus 4 years after that. Original version resurrected 14 years later by Belasco using black magic but the resurrection goes wrong as she is recreated without her soul. 3 years later reclaims her soul and is officially 'back.'

In the same story Belasco killed by Magik. Resurrected over a decade later with no explanation whatsoever.

All X-Men at the time + Madelyn Prior killed in Fall of the Mutants in sacrifice by Forge to prevent he Adversary from destroying the world. Immediately resurrected by Roma and decide to let the world think they're still dead.

Nightcrawler: Killed by Bastion during X-Men: Second Coming. Resurrected himself by teleporting out of heaven.

Cypher: Shot dead by Ani-Mator in Fall of the Mutants. Resurrected 22 years later in Necrosha by combination of black magic by Selene and techno-organic virus.

Cyclops: Killed by terrigen mist, resurrected 4-years later by his time-traveling son Cable.

Peter Parker: Perishes when Dr. Octopus swaps minds and Octavius' body dies before he can go back to his real body. Resurrected when Octavius voluntarily relinquishes control of Parker's body.

Tony Stark. Killed after having been revealed to have been brainwashed by Kang years earlier. Replaced by time-displaced younger version of himself and later merged with said younger version after Heroes Reborn.

Cable: Killed by techno-organic virus infection spread in X-Men: Second Coming. Resurrected through time-travel shenanigans and then the power of the Phoenix. Killed again in 2019 by a teen version of himself and resurrected this year by the same teen version to help defeat Stryfe.

Colossus: Injects himself with deadly formula to cure Legacy Virus: Resurrected by alien which stole his body from the morgue and used alien science to bring him back.