8 6.15%
  • Bishop

14 10.77%
  • Another Partner

17 13.08%
  • Single

30 23.08%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

They can leave Bishop and Jean in the past cause that entire storyline was, “black man gets thrown in prison for sleeping with a white woman, while nothing happens to her.”

I think they can stick to the poly thing (and maybe explain it someday) or just let her be single. At the bare minimum she should be allowed to be on a team without Scott or Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Was Jean's death even reported or Scott's? Serious question.
    Probably both deaths were known - Jean had a school built in her honor and Scott's death inspired a terrorist group back when they thought they could turn him into a Hitler stand-in (how Marvel thought that anyone other than the Red Skull could be used for that is still a mystery).

How Krakoan law works is unknown - when death is no longer a career ending injury does it nullify any partnerships anymore?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Yep!

And historically there were others too like Misty and Danny, Warren and Charlotte, Storm and Forge... (I don't read DC). They are not unheard of, but there aren't many either, but that's what happens when you have lots of white characters, I guess, you end up with more white couples.

EDIT: Rictor and Shatterstar are back together too, right? And Tommy and David, I guess?
    DC first interracial marriage was beetween Wally West and Linda Park and they are still together if what fans had told me is true.

They aren't together currently but Mariko and Logan were among the interracial couples in X-Book for a while, they even had an adopted daugther (Amiko), that most writers forget sadly.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    are there any inter-racial couples in comicbooks? Just wondering.
    It also depends on how one does their counting. Triggered bigots don't really notice when the couple is two different minorities, or of the couple isn't straight (they'll be too busy going ballistic over the 'isn't straight' part). I don't even think the pairing of white man/minority woman gets that much pushback - the real vitriol seems to be reserved for the minority man/white woman pairings. Even more so if the minority man happens to be black.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Probably both deaths were known - Jean had a school built in her honor and Scott's death inspired a terrorist group back when they thought they could turn him into a Hitler stand-in (how Marvel thought that anyone other than the Red Skull could be used for that is still a mystery).

How Krakoan law works is unknown - when death is no longer a career ending injury does it nullify any partnerships anymore?
    Yeah. I really don't think marriage is the biggest of their problems.

Xavier, for instance, even had his will read and everything, right? He's the owner of a big Phamaceutical company now.

Legal matters in MU are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    DC first interracial marriage was beetween Wally West and Linda Park and they are still together if what fans had told me is true.

They aren't together currently but Mariko and Logan were among the interracial couples in X-Book for a while, they even had an adopted daugther (Amiko), that most writers forget sadly.
    Thanks.

Indeed, there have been a number of inter-racial couples. I *think* they seem rare because there are comparatively less PoC characters. Or, at least, we perceive things that way because many of them are not as prominent.

I don't know. I don't really have the numbers to make a serious argument.

By the way, my question referred to their deaths being legally reported, not publicly known.

Krakoa probably doesn't care about legal status of marriages and stuff like that. They don't really have a pressure to own or have money for anything internally, right? When it gets complicated it's when finances interact with society outside Krakoa. For instance, Jean is supposed to have inherited everything from the Greys, right? But they died when she was dead. I don't think Rachel (or Nate) exists legally... does she? And I don't think Jean could have legally adopted Nathan either.

Argh... My head hurts now! :P
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 10-28-2021 at 05:29 AM.

By the way, my question referred to their deaths being legally reported, not publicly known.

Krakoa probably doesn't care about legal status of marriages and stuff like that. They don't really have a pressure to own or have money for anything internally, right? When it gets complicated it's when finances interact with society outside Krakoa. For instance, Jean is supposed to have inherit everything from the Greys, right? But they died when she was dead. I don't think Rachel (or Nate) exists legally... does she? And I don't think Jean could have legally adopted Nathan either.

I always assume that Rachel controlled that money. But yeah, when you invent the fact that Krakoa poops diamond, money just stops mattering at some point.

If they ever address it they'll just say Xavier, Emma or Warren's money just took care of the paperwork.

Though, in the last Ghost Spider run (Spider-Gwen) Gwen got into university on 616 under a interdimensional scholarship, so there does seem to be a system that addresses people not from the main earth.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I always assume that Rachel controlled that money. But yeah, when you invent the fact that Krakoa poops diamond, money just stops mattering at some point.

If they ever address it they'll just say Xavier, Emma or Warren's money just took care of the paperwork.

Though, in the last Ghost Spider run (Spider-Gwen) Gwen got into university on 616 under a interdimensional scholarship, so there does seem to be a system that addresses people not from the main earth.
    Yeah... I think we can agree that, somehow, things are dealt with and we can't really try to apply real-world law to the MU.

Krakoa probably doesn't care about legal status of marriages and stuff like that. They don't really have a pressure to own or have money for anything internally, right? When it gets complicated it's when finances interact with society outside Krakoa. For instance, Jean is supposed to have inherited everything from the Greys, right? But they died when she was dead. I don't think Rachel (or Nate) exists legally... does she? And I don't think Jean could have legally adopted Nathan either.

Jean's first death in the Dark Phoenix Saga was likely undone on a legal sense, since the Fantastic Four could effectively prove that she was technically kidnapped and presumed dead, but had never truly 'died'. I don't think you can register a marriage to a dead person, and I'm pretty sure that marriage was legal.

Scott might never have been legally dead - the assets may have just transferred to his younger self until he went back to the past, and it wasn't very long after that before the adult was brought back.

It's Jean's death under Morrison that is sticky legally.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post

I hope Krakoa poops something other than diamonds - they aren't actually all that expensive except that the supply is kept artificially low. If DeBeers actually put out all the diamonds they have in inventory the market for them would crash, and even what we have is artificially inflated again by ad campaigns like the '3 months salary guideline'.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Jean's first death in the Dark Phoenix Saga was likely undone on a legal sense, since the Fantastic Four could effectively prove that she was technically kidnapped and presumed dead, but had never truly 'died'. I don't think you can register a marriage to a dead person, and I'm pretty sure that marriage was legal.

Scott might never have been legally dead - the assets may have just transferred to his younger self until he went back to the past, and it wasn't very long after that before the adult was brought back.

It's Jean's death under Morrison that is sticky legally.
    It's funny, right? 'Cause I think her DPS saga death was probably reported legally and everything. Her family and even the X-Men had no reason to believe she would come back. But I agree with you, that one must have been reversed somehow.

The one during Morisson's run, though? I'd have to check, but I think there's at least two mentions of the X-Men saying things to the effect of: "well, but she was Phoenix" as if if they expected her to come back. So... would they even have reported her death?

You make a good point about Scott. There was a young version of him around... Legally, how can you report death when you're also alive?

It's funny, right? 'Cause I think her DPS saga death was probably reported legally and everything. Her family and even the X-Men had no reason to believe she would come back. But I agree with you, that one must have been reversed somehow.

The one during Morisson's run, though? I'd have to check, but I think there's at least two mentions of the X-Men saying things to the effect of: "well, but she was Phoenix" as if if they expected her to come back. So... would they even have reported her death?

You make a good point about Scott. There was a young version of him around... Legally, how can you report death when you're also alive?
    I think the first death for Jean was almost certainly reported, but when they found the cocoon it got legally reversed. At that point in time Reed Richards would have been an unimpeachable expert witness if things went before a Judge. Just so long as they avoided going in front of an anti mutant bigot.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I think the first death for Jean was almost certainly reported, but when they found the cocoon it got legally reversed. At that point in time Reed Richards would have been an unimpeachable expert witness if things went before a Judge. Just so long as they avoided going in front of an anti mutant bigot.
    I agree.

So I think we could make the case that, if they didn't report her Morrison's run death and they couldn't report Scott's death, they have been legally married this whole time. And still are.

I agree.

So I think we could make the case that, if they didn't report her Morrison's run death and they couldn't report Scott's death, they have been legally married this whole time. And still are.
    Even with reporting a death legally it might still be a legal gray area (no pun intended). People don't really return from verifiable death - once they were both back it's very possible that once they both asserted they were still married then legally they were.
    Dark does not mean deep.