• Bishop

14 10.77%
  • Another Partner

17 13.08%
  • Single

30 23.08%
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I like it as a moment but their relationship in Krakoa feel's so unearned, they went through so much and did things that would/did end their relationship and both moved on but now they're back just like that.None of that is dealt w/ or talked about, even the poly Logan thing isn't talked about.
    While I, too, want to see their history, especially the decade preceding Jean's death, brought up in the current era, their current relationship is not really "unearned." They addressed the Emma affair, Scott growing into a cynical and ruthless leader, and other things between 2012 and 2019. As a result, they weren't together during the majority of that period, i.e., until the very end. I thought Bendis et al. did a great job of handling their relationship realistically and prepping the soil, so to speak, for their eventual reunion as a couple.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Don't know about Jean, but as a Cyclops fan, I want him to be single.

Jean isn't the only character limited by the mess their relationship become. Scott is a lot of times dragged or thrown under the bus, it's even worse on his case, since he is set against a popular character, Wolverine. I mean, just look at the movies, Cyclops main trait was "guy cockblocking Logan".

So I say, have Jean with Logan, Bishop or someone else, just let Scott out of it, don't bring him in to be a challenge in Jean's new relationship or the jealous ex, just invest on Jean, make it about her.
    Can't disagree here, After reading 'Here comes tomorrow' to familiarise myself with that story ..instead of letting Scott grieve or own his widower status and let him grow into it or out of it naturally the writers just had to throw Emma into the mix. Like I don't want to say more lest the knives come out..but Scott was done real dirty here.

I prefer Jean single. I loved that Jean was free of Cyclops and Logan during X-men Red. I wanted more of that. It didn't last long enough and now in the modern era she's back in the orbit of both men - though the character has had plenty of good moments in the Hickman era.

I love Cyclops so I can stand for them together even though I don't prefer it. I was fine with Bishop but it wouldn't work in the main universe because of the Hope stuff imo. Jean having Wolverine as a side piece or whatever it is has been different I guess but it needs expanded on. It was cute seeing Jean, Logan, and Scott in the Pride issue but I doubt if they will go further to explain what exactly is going on with the three of them (or four if Emma is involved in any way besides being involved with Scott).

In Duggan's book Jean and Scott seem fully back together and I think this will continue for better or for worse. I would have loved to see Scott and Jean fighting together as friends and not as lovers. Then they could get back together later and it could be organic. It just feels off because we didn't get to see them work through any issues when they were finally reunited.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    It just feels off because we didn't get to see [Jean and Scott] work through any issues when they were finally reunited.
    But they did, just as time-displaced teenagers. More people need to read the books from 2012-2019.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    While I, too, want to see their history, especially the decade preceding Jean's death, brought up in the current era, their current relationship is not really "unearned." They addressed the Emma affair, Scott growing into a cynical and ruthless leader, and other things between 2012 and 2019. As a result, they weren't together during the majority of that period, i.e., until the very end. I thought Bendis et al. did a great job of handling their relationship realistically and prepping the soil, so to speak, for their eventual reunion as a couple.
    But they did, just as time-displaced teenagers. More people need to read the books from 2012-2019.
    I've read all those and it's not the same thing.It's feel unearned exactly because we never see the adult selves talk about this, not to mention how little to no mention the memories from displaced o5 are given thought to.Has Jean in canon even showed she has those memories?As in in a comic, not in an interview/tweet.Scott's memories we've seen addressed are only related to champions and the other 3 aren't discussed IIRC.

It works for the teens but the adults have so much experience they don't, we never see them get back together.We never see them discuss anything about their relationship, they don't even talk about Logan....

I've read all those and it's not the same thing.It's feel unearned exactly because we never see the adult selves talk about this, not to mention how little to no mention the memories from displaced o5 are given thought to.Has Jean in canon even showed she has those memories?As in in a comic, not in an interview/tweet.Scott's memories we've seen addressed are only related to champions and the other 3 aren't discussed IIRC.
    Yes, we have. Both Bobby and Jean acknowledge their teen selves memories here, during Extinction.

It works for the teens but the adults have so much experience they don't, we never see them get back together.We never see them discuss anything about their relationship, they don't even talk about Logan....
    They should definitely be shown discussing their relationship, especially in relation to what they learned about one another and how they worked through this information as time-displaced teenagers. The Logan thing is so odd because I consider it completely out of character for A) Jean to cheat and B) Logan to accept second place in her heart (he would insist on being #1 or nothing at all). Neither of them would do this.

The one scene that has turned things around for me (slightly) is the rocks paper scissors scene in X-Men #3. Their interaction was just so effortless there, partly due to the fact that they were being nonchalant and playful regarding a rather serious mission. I thought to myself, "This is exactly how a couple who has been through as much and known each other as long as they have would act." It wasn't overly romantic or serious. It was just...I don't know. Something about that scene just made their friendship, respect for each other, and marriage/relationship seem real to me.
    So spot one. It just re-affirmed my love for them together.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Not as if she actually did anything compelling in X-Force either. Well, unless you found her getting fucked in a hot tub by the guy who's been trying to wear her down for years compelling I guess?

Imagine whinging non stop that you'd rather that then her being Co-Leader of the X-Men in the flagship book and also receiving the most attention by far in said book.
    Exactly. I will never ever see the Wolverine angle as anything but creepy. As if some writers sit in their room picturing, " Yeah, this is what women want." Just creepy.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, we have. Both Bobby and Jean acknowledge their teen selves memories here, during Extinction.

They should definitely be shown discussing their relationship, especially in relation to what they learned about one another and how they worked through this information as time-displaced teenagers. The Logan thing is so odd because I consider it completely out of character for A) Jean to cheat and B) Logan to accept second place in her heart (he would insist on being #1 or nothing at all). Neither of them would do this.
    Thanks a lot!

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidMule View Post
    Exactly. I will never ever see the Wolverine angle as anything but creepy. As if some writers sit in their room picturing, " Yeah, this is what women want." Just creepy.
    Same w/ Emma, she was just as bad to Scott if not worse and has done much more.I find it funny that she's "for the children" and "helps other women from men" and yet does this.So what Shaw does terrible sh*t he's bad, but Emma ain't.

Thanks a lot!

Agreed

Same w/ Emma, she was just as bad to Scott if not worse and has done much more.I find it funny that she's "for the children" and "helps other women from men" and yet does this.So what Shaw does terrible sh*t he's bad, but Emma ain't.
    Agree wholeheartedly.

Astonishing Member

Thanks a lot!

Agreed

People I'd like to know what does ' For the children" even mean for Emma? If as a full villain she took Lourdes from Shaw and sent her to the Kingpin as a favour .Now as a Krakoan noble she used Empath to get Havok to lose his ****..as a different favour..what is she on about?

Incredible Member

Single. And as far as she can get from mutant society

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    Single. And as far as she can get from mutant society
    I want it to be a non-issue, no more relevant than ‘who is Ororo dating?’ ‘Who is Xavier dating?’ ‘Who is Warren dating?’

Relationships can add flavour and interest to acharacter but they should never define them or limit the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I want it to be a non-issue, no more relevant than ‘who is Ororo dating?’ ‘Who is Xavier dating?’ ‘Who is Warren dating?’

Relationships can add flavour and interest to acharacter but they should never define them or limit the character.
    Jean deserves a new beginning. One where she can define herself.

She started to get that with X-Men Red. But that got cut down before it could have really flowered into anything.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I see some negative points in X-Men: Red, but overall I really like it. At the same time, I’m glad it wasn’t a book that lasted too long.

It seems to me that nowadays everyone wants their favourites to be front and centre, all the time, in what would be almost like a solo book that happens to have other characters as part of the team.

And I just don’t like it. I miss the old comics when the writers managed to juggle the whole team and all characters felt like they belonged there.

Perhaps that’s the problem that some people have with Scott and Jean together. Before 2000s, they were not the centre of every story. They were some of the most important characters in their teams because of their gravitas, but the other characters weren’t support characters to them.

Jean dies and Scott becomes the leader, having a prominent role in across many books.

Jean comes back while Scott is dead and gets one of those solo-team books.

I’m not sure if people can see that their problem might not be with their relationship itself, but the fact they’re blaming the relationship because they want their favourites in those central roles, as if it was the relationship that prevented it to happen.

It’s weird… But I guess I have to accept that comic book readers nowadays don’t like actual team books as much, I guess. All that matters is that their favourites are powerful either politically, or by leadership role or by mutant power level…
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 11-12-2021 at 06:34 AM.