• Single

30 23.08%
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    For starters...

I want to read this now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I honestly think that a lot of people - who started reading comic books when they were really young in the 90s because of the cartoon - got to the comics with a very biased opinion of Jean and it coloured everything they read of her. And, as they grew up, they never went back to those comics either so they never gave themselves the chance to re-evaluate old biases.

Some of those people seem to be married to their perception of the character and nothing you can say or show will change their minds.

What can we do? *Shrug*
    Not taking it so personally would be a start.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    That was a rhetorical question. My bad for not making it clear to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I can attest as someone who didn't get into comics until after watching the animated series' and Fox movies, Jean was often presented as a pretty bland "good girl" until she goes "craaaaaaazy with power". It was a very pleasant surprise to find out that Jean has interesting stories where she has both power and agency.

Back to the OP, I do hope that we can get to the point where Jean can be on a team without Scott or Logan even if she is with one or both of them.
    I totally get it. First impressions do cause an effect on us. But you understood that the comics is a different medium and universe and you gave the 616 character a chance, right?

Many people never do.

Incredible Member

It's sort of popular to drag Jean. Then again, I suppose that's the price you pay for being the first female X-Man and a central figure in arguably the most iconic comic book storyline of all time. People are always going to probe, "Who is this? What's her deal? Why is she so special?"

Of course, the 90's animated series did her no favors.
    Yeah, But I don't follow those trends. I'm actually a pretty happy person who wants the best for the comic book characters I read.

Granted, it's been a few decades since I last read the old X-Factor issues. But still, I'm honestly saying there are elements that I missed. or that have faded for me in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Who cares if that poster has a personal connection to the character? Nothing about their comment was rude or derogatory so I do not see the need to come for them.

The Logan thing is so odd because I consider it completely out of character for A) Jean to cheat and B) Logan to accept second place in her heart (he would insist on being #1 or nothing at all). Neither of them would do this.
    Good to see a jean fan who has a similar opinion on this whole throuple thing, no surprise we nevet got to see how it even began, I just can't imagine any of them accepting to be into this without looking extremely OOC mainly Jean and Scott I just can't picture they ever being ok with this, Jean would never be ok with messing around with Logan and coming back to sleep with Scott and do anyone really think cyke is ok knowing wolve is having sex with his wife in the next room ? Ugh just hell no
    I'm honestly just taking the whole thing as a fanfic which is taking a bit too long to end but I hope soon enough it will get vanished, I don't even care is they need to do a big retcon saying it was just an illusion or idk just end it asap

All right. But you'd like it to be an ongoing or a limited series?

Scott is one of my favourites but I find it hard to imagine him as a lone wolf. Would you want him to find himself leading something? Surrounded by secondary characters who don't really matter but so he could still have a leadership role?
    The gold standard for solo superhero comics to me are DC's Hitman and Starman. Tommy Monaghan and Jack Knight are surrounded by interesting supporting characters, but in no moment we doubt who is the main character. Its their stories, the other guys are secondary.

I love Nat the hat, Six Pack, Sean, Ringo, Baytor and Hacken, they are awesome characters who are essential to the story, but Tommy is the protagonist. That is what I want from any solo comic, for the character I'm reading the book for to be the true main one, but with an amazing cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The gold standard for solo superhero comics to me are DC's Hitman and Starman. Tommy Monaghan and Jack Knight are surrounded by interesting supporting characters, but in no moment we doubt who is the main character. Its their stories, the other guys are secondary.

I love Nat the hat, Six Pack, Sean, Ringo, Baytor and Hacken, they are awesome characters who are essential to the story, but Tommy is the protagonist. That is what I want from any solo comic, for the character I'm reading the book for to be the true main one, but with an amazing cast.
    I get the appeal. I'm a huge Daredevil fan and I've loved many of the supporting characters in his book throughout the decades. :)

I don't really see Scott in an ongoing solo book like this, but I'd definitely love to read a mini-series (or many)! :)

But they did, just as time-displaced teenagers. More people need to read the books from 2012-2019.
    I suppose you have a point, and I love the teen Jean years but they dealt with it as knowing about it but haven’t yet been through it. I’d rather have read the adult versions work through some of their drama. I’d like to see how Jean feels about Scott still caring for Emma or how Scott stopped being threatened by Wolverine. What about Jeans hurt over the affair? It just felt like we skipped over a few beats to the story. We don’t know how they got to the present but I guess we can infer the teen years in the present had a large impact on how they resolved some angst, but was it all of it?

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I’d rather have read the adult versions work through some of their drama. I’d like to see how Jean feels about Scott still caring for Emma or how Scott stopped being threatened by Wolverine. What about Jeans hurt over the affair? It just felt like we skipped over a few beats to the story.
    I honestly don't even wanna see them trying to explain this throuple because I'm sure it would just make things worse at this point, I just hope they either forget or retcon this by the next run
    Tbh I'm still dreaming we'll get a Jean/Scott solo showing this whole talk we've been waiting for so long and mainly them two trying to work together on fixing their marriage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    Actually, I did. It just wasn't in the form you wanted.

So much of Scott and Jean's personalities have been defined by that relationship. To the point that they hardly have an existence, as people, outside of it.

What can you say about either of them that isn't defined by them being together?

What more is there to them? Who are they as people individually? And what about their individual voices? Where are they? What are they?
    Jean doesn't at all really, not even barely. They literally make her die when they want Cyclops to have sex with someone else.

It got so bad that "in this reality, Jean has a love interest other than Cyclops AND he's BLACK!" got to be an actual taboo. Like holy sh*t let the woman experience things.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 11-12-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I get the appeal. I'm a huge Daredevil fan and I've loved many of the supporting characters in his book throughout the decades.

I don't really see Scott in an ongoing solo book like this, but I'd definitely love to read a mini-series (or many)!
    I have to agree, I don't see most X-men as people who can/should do Solo's.Even the Storm solo's had a lot of X-men in it.

So if they get a solo/mini, it's likely to be an X-book w/ a focus on one character rather than your standard solo.Which works as well

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I have to agree, I don't see most X-men as people who can/should do Solo's.Even the Storm solo's had a lot of X-men in it.

So if they get a solo/mini, it's likely to be an X-book w/ a focus on one character rather than your standard solo.Which works as well
    I'll use a silly analogy here: I think most X-Men characters are social animals. I think they thrive in a group environment.

I think a true solo character is more like a solitary animal. Take Daredevil as example: I love him but I really didn't want him to join Luke Cage's Avengers team. I think he works better as a character in his solo book.

But this is just my personal taste and I can see that, in this case, it's very biased. Just because no one came up with a good solo story for most X-Men characters, it doesn't mean it can't be done, I guess. What I wouldn't want is to have any of the actual characters that already exist working as supporting cast for a single character in a book that is supposed to be a team book. I think we have enough of those already and it's not fair to the fans of the characters who are pushed to secondary role.

A team book should be about the whole team.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I'll use a silly analogy here: I think most X-Men characters are social animals. I think they thrive in a group environment.

I think a true solo character is more like a solitary animal. Take Daredevil as example: I love him but I really didn't want him to join Luke Cage's Avengers team. I think he works better as a character in his solo book.

But this is just my personal taste and I can see that, in this case, it's very biased. Just because no one came up with a good solo story for most X-Men characters, it doesn't mean it can't be done, I guess. What I wouldn't want is to have any of the actual characters that already exist working as supporting cast for a single character in a book that is supposed to be a team book. I think we have enough of those already and it's not fair to the fans of the characters who are pushed to secondary role.

A team book should be about the whole team.
    Agreed on all this, and the last two Nightcrawler solos were chock full of fellow X-Men because that’s what works best for Kurt, seeing him interacting, supporting and playing off his team and I think that’s true of all of the characters.

.i voted for keeping Jean single, mostly because I have a strong aversion to female characters in particular being defined by their relationship.
    But if I was pairing her off, it would be with Scott.