Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moraine and Lan vs Geralt and Yennefer

WoT's Aes Sedai and Warder team takes on the Witcher and his Sorceress lover.

Book, game, and TV show(s) feats all apply for Witcher-verse characters.

Which duo wins?

Does Moraine have her angreal?

What can Yennefer do
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Moiraine's angreal is the definition of standard gear for her. She made a specific deal with the Arlfinn and Eelfinn to have it, and she's never shown to lose it.

And this is a massive slaughter. Moiraine gibs both at the bell, way before they can fire up anything that threatens the WoT pair.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    What can Yennefer do
    The quickest fight ender I can remember Yennfer doing in the books was turning people into insects, frogs, etc. She did this at one point casting on her back with her feet while her hands were tied up, so it's not that hard for her to do.

Moraine can shoot balefire which is similarly a fight ender.

It's pretty much a quick draw. Lan and Gerald or both non factors.

If that’s the case I was going to say moiraine beats yen never to the draw since she doesn’t really need gestures the way yen does and ensures a double ko at worst with lightning at 100 m but I just remembered something ; balefire reverses effects of time within certain amounts. So I’m not sure how rumbles would handle it but it’s possible moiraine could throw balefire, get transformed into a newt or w/e and then suddenly balefire hits yen and reverses the effects.

This would basically solve some quick draw arguments because no matter what happens if balefire comes out the effects will be nullified as it destroys the enemy
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Amazing Member

Balefire solves a lot of rumbles problems, but in Moiraine's case it is, IIRC, somewhat short-ranged, energy consuming, and probably not the most cost-effective way for her to approach this (and nevermind that anyone can, and mostly have, dodged the standard balefire blast; Moiraine is, again, very much a sub-standard blaster).

Yennefer is certainly more powerful (just picture the Kaer Mohren battle). Where WoT channelers generally get some joy is in areas like multitasking, speed, (lack of) preparation time, and agility with their powers, but Moiraine's on the lower end of all of these, and their abilities largely overlap. Can (or does) Yen have some protection against relatively quick energy/tk attacks in either medium? I have absolutely no idea, personally, but it seems a great deal more likely than Moiraine resisting being turned into a newt.

Either way, I'd be amazed if Geralt isn't the quickest character in this by a decent margin. Whether that should be enough for him to tilt this is obviously a different question.

I'm assuming the three oaths are set aside with some prejudice here, or that might just delay Moiraine enough to hand the other side the victory.
    Herochat.com now surprisingly back from the dead. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Balefire solves a lot of rumbles problems, but in Moiraine's case it is, IIRC, somewhat short-ranged, energy consuming, and probably not the most cost-effective way for her to approach this (and nevermind that anyone can, and mostly have, dodged the standard balefire blast; Moiraine is, again, very much a sub-standard blaster).

Yennefer is certainly more powerful (just picture the Kaer Mohren battle). Where WoT channelers generally get some joy is in areas like multitasking, speed, (lack of) preparation time, and agility with their powers, but Moiraine's on the lower end of all of these, and their abilities largely overlap. Can (or does) Yen have some protection against relatively quick energy/tk attacks in either medium? I have absolutely no idea, personally, but it seems a great deal more likely than Moiraine resisting being turned into a newt.

Either way, I'd be amazed if Geralt isn't the quickest character in this by a decent margin. Whether that should be enough for him to tilt this is obviously a different question.

I'm assuming the three oaths are set aside with some prejudice here, or that might just delay Moiraine enough to hand the other side the victory.
    I don't know. Lan is a blademaster in all but name, and with the warder bond, his abilities are further improved/enhanced.

Keep in mind this is a team battle...

So teamwork is a major factor. Geralt could jump in front of Yennefer with a Quen forcefield... etc.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't know. Lan is a blademaster in all but name, and with the warder bond, his abilities are further improved/enhanced.
    I think so, just about. Just think of the missile mechanics in the last two games (I want to say a one point buy to block any with parry, two to direct them straight back at the source), or consider the intro to the second, where Letho does away with what seemed like a thoroughly decent archer, for an in-game example. (There's no particular reason to assume Geralt must be capable of replicating any Letho feats at that point, or vice versa, but by the end of Blood and Wine, Geralt's very much a witcher+ unless you've actively avoided that quest line.)

WoT takes liberties with reality, but it generally settles closer than all that, particularly pre-Sanderson.

Geralt's fast, but not cross standard distance before the casters can get going fast. I haven't finished the Witcher Series yet, so I might be wrong, but I don't think he can touch Moraine or Lan before the Casters get their mojo going.

If starting distance was a couple yards this would definitely be a Lan vs Geralt fight.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Geralt's fast, but not cross standard distance before the casters can get going fast.
    Geralt doesn't have that kind of speed, no. What he does have is some rudimentary magic, potions, and what amounts to light artillery with some fairly recherché effects. That makes what he can accomplish quickly pretty germane to our interests here. Moiraine probably can't autosweep this if she's blind. She almost certainly can't win if she's inside the AoE of a demetrium bomb, and we determine it affects her normally. Can Quen apply to or cover Yennefer? Has any version ever regularly carried ranged weapons other than explosives? And so on and so forth.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Lan is quite explicitly better than every blade master in the series except Demanded, and even he is pretty much equal.

You saying Moiraine is substandard ignores basically everything seen in the actual series. She has roughly the most combat feats of all of the female Aes Sedai, and was top three in strength prior to the new generation. Her balefire doesn't have any range limit on panel she kills hounds with it further off than 100 feet, which is Khazan start distance.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Lan is quite explicitly better than every blade master in the series except Demanded, and even he is pretty much equal.
    I know. Just the lack of a heron marked blade is what keeps him from being officially labeled as a blademaster. But skill wise, he's more then there, as you pointed out.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I know. Just the lack of a heron marked blade is what keeps him from being officially labeled as a blademaster. But skill wise, he's more then there, as you pointed out.
    FWIW, I think that the reason Lan didn't have a Heron marked blade is because he was using the ancestral blade of the Malkieri Royal Family, and it was Power-wrought, so it would have been both inappropriate and functionally impossible to etch a heron into it. ISTR that he was listed as being a blademaster in the appendix of A New Spring, or one of the other books.