Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I too wonder what larger role Misty and Colleen have with Beyond. Did Beyond just scoop up heroes after Iron Man's team returned from space? What other heroes might be on the payroll?

The Felecia cameo was nice

Due to Previews we all know who May is going to be calling.

I wonder if Beyond has done something to Morbius? This appearance does not sync with how we've last seen him in the truncated series he had that was cancelled mostly due to Covid pandemic starting. This Mobius was way to animalistic for me.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I wish Morbius was a REAL vampire instead of some guy with an illness who needs to drink fresh plasma to alleviate symptoms, or whatever VINO (Vampire In Name Only) he’s supposed to be. That’s always bothered me about the character. Comic Code has been dead for decades. Time for Marvel to retcon him as a real vampiric being.
    I don't see the point of that. Marvel has a zillion vampire villains, but what sets Morbius apart is that he's the living vampire. If he's just another vampire, then he's just Blade fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    So. Between the leverage Beyond is putting together on Ben (Janine, whatever he's saying in his sessions with Kafka), and now the suggestion that something might be happening to Ben's memories (though also potentially Peter's, so it's not clear what exactly is going on yet) it sure looks like they are setting Ben up for a heel turn at some point here. Either blackmailed, mentally reprogrammed or some combination of both. Throw in the upcoming stuff with Miles, which sure looks like Beyond isolating Ben from any potential allies/distractions. And now the latest solicits which suggest Ben suffering a big loss to Ock. A loss which could prime Ben to actively make a choice that we won't like. Like, for example, upgrading himself via Beyond and opening the door to even more shenanigans.

I begin to worry.

It then occurs to me that Peter's dream from ASM75 could be a metaphor for clone Ben's corruption by Beyond, as opposed to anything relating to Uncle Ben. All that man in the mirror setup.

And I worry.

This isn't going to end well for our boy. I'm getting Knightfall vibes, where Peter is going to have to defeat Ben to save everyone from whatever monster Beyond has turned him into. I hope there's a swerve coming somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    - Arc literally starts telling us how important the memories of Uncle Ben are to Peter's character.
    - Ben is losing said memories.
    Yep, I'm worried for Ben's future.
    I'll remain hopeful for a positive ending for Ben. I'm sure it's going to get rockier for Ben as the story progresses, but that doesn't automatically mean Ben is going to be turned into a villain (again), killed, etc. Like I've said before, I'm hopeful that they've learned from the BR:SS debacle.

-Pav, who is a teacher so he knows not everyone learns just because you want them to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I don't see the point of that. Marvel has a zillion vampire villains, but what sets Morbius apart is that he's the living vampire. If he's just another vampire, then he's just Blade fodder.
    EDIT: Agreed. Morbius is fun because he's both a vampire and not really a vampire -- kind of like how Ben IS and IS NOT Peter. The ambiguity and complexity is where the interest lies, for me anyway.
    Last edited by Pav; 10-28-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

In this day and age, they can’t actually be considering fridging Janine. I’d be very disappointed.

I wish I didn’t look at future solicits and follow the artists on Instagram. I love Arthur Adam’s process work but I’m seeing covers into the mid 80s now. Oh well, No one’s forcing me to look, I guess. Haha.

My hope is that Ben has a big loss that is partially his fault for trying to prove himself the real Spider-Man and Peter comes to stop him from going too far and Ben fights back saying “I am Spider-Man. This is MY life” and they do that thing where Peter just takes it while Ben punches him through tears and then breaks down and Peter holds a broken Ben.

Then Peter helps him get better and they’re bros for life and they live happily ever after!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    In this day and age, they can’t actually be considering fridging Janine. I’d be very disappointed.

I wish I didn’t look at future solicits and follow the artists on Instagram. I love Arthur Adam’s process work but I’m seeing covers into the mid 80s now. Oh well, No one’s forcing me to look, I guess. Haha.

My hope is that Ben has a big loss that is partially his fault for trying to prove himself the real Spider-Man and Peter comes to stop him from going too far and Ben fights back saying “I am Spider-Man. This is MY life” and they do that thing where Peter just takes it while Ben punches him through tears and then breaks down and Peter holds a broken Ben.

Then Peter helps him get better and they’re bros for life and they live happily ever after!
    I hope so too, she seems nice.

Ngl your pitch would be amazing, near perfect even.

Extraordinary Member

May still fixin' to take someone to the woodshed.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I hope so too, she seems nice.

Ngl your pitch would be amazing, near perfect even.
    Agreed. Given the massive loss foreshadowed for Ben by the more recent solicits, I could see a similar scenario happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    May still fixin' to take someone to the woodshed.
    Understandable, under these circumstances. At least the writers are trying to show that she's not (completely) helpless and frail just because she's old.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    As for the memories: Ben needs his own identity so getting rid of Peter’s memories could be a good thing. To be successful he needs to be be more then the clone of Peter.
    i see that, and marvel deffo agreed at one point which is why we got slott and pad's attempts to separate ben from his 90s depiction and peter.

you could argue that the intention was right, but the execution was off. i'm more of the mind that ben's charm for his readership is that he's a sliding doors peter, and if you move too far away from that you end up with kaine or something.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    As for the memories: Ben needs his own identity so getting rid of Peter’s memories could be a good thing. To be successful he needs to be be more then the clone of Peter.
    I’d argue that that wouldn’t be a necessary or a good thing. Ben has Peter’s memories but only up until a certain point. Beyond that, he has his own memories of the life that he’s lived as himself. Peter’s memories are what give him his heroic core and his life experience is what shaped him into the man that he is. He’s always going to be Peter’s clone but they don’t have all of the same experiences that make their differences.

Astonishing Member

That's part of Ben's appeal he s a canon "What if" Peter
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 10-28-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

You aren't truly spider-man (Or one of them) unless you have a major loss. So something big will have to happen and it is kind of foreshadowed when Ben got Janine out of prison. She might not get killed, but something might happen to her. You need it for Ben to either go one of two ways: 1. All in with Beyond to the point he does something that requires Peter to step in or 2. Incite Ben to turn on Beyond to the point he oversteps some boundaries and Peter helps stops him before he goes too far.

Extraordinary Member

That runs out quick, he needs more substance than that if he's staying.He should keep this ofc, but if that's his main/major appeal then it's concerning IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You aren't truly spider-man (Or one of them) unless you have a major loss. So something big will have to happen and it is kind of foreshadowed when Ben got Janine out of prison. She might not get killed, but something might happen to her. You need it for Ben to either go one of two ways: 1. All in with Beyond to the point he does something that requires Peter to step in or 2. Incite Ben to turn on Beyond to the point he oversteps some boundaries and Peter helps stops him before he goes too far.
    It also could be the NYC tragedy, like in Civil was.A huge number of people are going to die, it will(hopefully) tie into Doc Ock and the whole Devil's Reign stuff as well.I don't think Janine will go this soon because she's the one person whose suspecting/is cautious of Beyond.Beyond won't kill her because she's their insurance.

Astonishing Member

Ben Reilly is a great walking/talking example of the nature vs nurture argument; how much of him is still Peter, and how much has been affected by his external experiences? He’s also more damaged due to his identity issues, and more impulsive and free spirited due to his time adrift and lost on the road. There’s a ton that can be explored about Ben’s unique psyche, especially the subtle ways it differs from Peter. What makes Ben interesting isn’t how he’s similar to Peter, but rather the small ways in which he’s different.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I wish Morbius was a REAL vampire instead of some guy with an illness who needs to drink fresh plasma to alleviate symptoms, or whatever VINO (Vampire In Name Only) he’s supposed to be. That’s always bothered me about the character. Comic Code has been dead for decades. Time for Marvel to retcon him as a real vampiric being.
    I think Dracula, Morbius, Blade are all from the same years, so it's not about the comic code. Morbius isn't a vampire, it's a jekyll/hide kind of character, if you remove his origins he is just one among thousands of vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    That runs out quick, he needs more substance than that if he's staying.He should keep this ofc, but if that's his main/major appeal then it's concerning IMO.
    I respectfully disagree. Ben's contradictory nature as "Peter but not Peter" is what has locked him in as my favorite character in all of Literature for the past twenty-five years, despite even the lengthy amount of time he was excluded from Spidey comics. I would argue that his status as "the perfect Spider-Clone" is incredibly substantive and is what intrigued so many of his fans from the start -- and to this day. In fact, I'd argue moving too far away from that status is what killed Clone Conspiracy and especially BR:SS.

Some argue that being too similar to Peter makes him superfluous -- but that's kind of the whole point of his character! What is he supposed to do with himself if he can't live the life he believes is his? This existential plight is at the heart of the character; remove it, and the magic of the character is lost.

-Pav, who does think Ben and Kaine have become too similar and work best with their original positions as "perfect clone" and "flawed clone" in place...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details