Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Similar powers that actually work quite differently.

Superman’s invulnerability comes from the fact that his body generates a force field right? My guess is that Shazam just has a godly physique that just magically more durable then humans. While Martian Manhunter can alter his density via shape shifting to mimic the effects of invulnerability.

Can you name any other heroes that have similar power sets on the surface but the powers probably function quite differently?

Vixen and Animal man are another example.

Those two and Garfield Logan too.

Plastic Man and Elongated Man. Ralph is more like Mister Fantastic, mainly stretching, whereas Plas can shapeshift into non-humanoid forms (the TV version gave Ralph Plastic Man's powers for some reason).

Omen and Raven.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Devastation can shapeshift, but it's hinted that she has to imitate a specific idea of what a woman should look like to do it.

I guess because the power is about tricking and manipulating people?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Superman's strength came from yellow sun exposure and he can be weaker if he's underground for too long. Overexposure to the sun can increase a Kryptonian's power, such as Kara being revolving around it for years before arriving on Earth making her stronger than Superman, and when Apollo powered up Zod and Faora.

Wonder Woman's currently inborn as a daughter of Zeus, which makes her Hercules demigod level. (Somehow I forget who gave her strength in the Perez version. In the Silver/Bronze Age I forget, it was Hercules after he became a god. In Wonder Woman 77 her strength disappear if her girdle is taken)

Shazam has the strength of Hercules too but came from magic and only when transformed
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-03-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Flight is one of the powers w. the widest range of sources.

Some characters negate gravity, some fly via mechanical means (which is its own sub section), some use wings, magic, magnetism…