Extraordinary Member

Default Shazam # 9 Preview

Shazam # 9 Preview
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Astonishing Member

Oh! I'd had it in my head that the last issue was Waid's last. Nice to have a bit more.

This could easily be an issue of World’s Finest. I love how Waid is including Metamorpho in his books.
    With Terrifics cancelled and Outsiders not really being about the Outsiders, it’s nice that he still gets to appear.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    This could easily be an issue of World’s Finest. I love how Waid is including Metamorpho in his books.
    With Terrifics cancelled and Outsiders not really being about the Outsiders, it’s nice that he still gets to appear.
    I know it will never happen, but man how good could a Terrifics book be with Waid writing it?

and now back to your regularly scheduled Captain thread....
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

So... who is Jack Ryder channeling here? Any guess?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I never associated Crepper and The Captain before but I forgot that both of their civilian identities are involved in the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    So... who is Jack Ryder channeling here? Any guess?
    A Fox News pundit?

So great to see the Creeper again. Too bad Mora only gets to draw him on the cover. Looks like another great issue regardless.

Amazing Member

It is interesting that they're both journalists whose alter egos have drastically different appearances (beyond just their costumes) and somewhat distinct personalities from their civilian selves.

I don't usually follow Captain Marvel, but this series has had some really fun guest stars, with Garguax, Queen Bee, and now the Creeper.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I know it will never happen, but man how good could a Terrifics book be with Waid writing it?
    I would absolutely love Waid and Mora to do a team book focusing on the kind of non-"A-List" types who are from the 60s, 70s, and 80s today but are kind of outliers still. Like Metamorpho and Creeper and other folks like that.

Doesn't need to be a new Outsiders, doesn't need to be a new Terrifics, but just something a bit upbeat and fun, like how the characters are being used in their other titles.

The Creeper has always been one of my favorite characters so I really enjoyed this issue. A nice one and done. A rarity these days.

I so wish Mora would have been the artist but at least we got that cool cover.

I’ve always felt so much more could be done with The Creeper. A Steve Ditko creation who is basically an amalgamation of Joker and Spider-Man. Plus he was featured in a classic episode of Batman TAS.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Are we reviewing the issue here? If so, then spoilers for Shazam #9 follow...

I absolutely love that last image. Just the thought that Metamorpho found out where Ryder lived, traveled there, broke in, then patiently waited on the transom so he could douse Ryder in ten gallons of... himself, is amazing! Does he know that Ryder is The Creeper, or does Rex often exact petty revenge on random celebrities that cross him?

As for the story itself, it was fun. I like the way it was quickly set up, then worked itself out in the span of a single issue. The villain was Shadow Thief, but the story was really about how Creeper and The Captain get along with each other, and in that sense it was really enjoyable. Quite an interesting relationship there. It's easy to see why Jack Ryder has no friends.

Also, it's very interesting that The Captain feels less and less like Billy every day. There's a thread for the new writer to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Creeper has always been one of my favorite characters so I really enjoyed this issue. A nice one and done. A rarity these days.

I’ve always felt so much more could be done with The Creeper. A Steve Ditko creation who is basically an amalgamation of Joker and Spider-Man. Plus he was featured in a classic episode of Batman TAS.
    I totally agree about the Creeper and I wish DC would release a the Creeper omnibus. Especially if it were made available digitally too. I wish DC would make that Phantom Stranger omnibus available digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I never understood Creeper. I think he and those "Manhunter" androids have been the hardest properties for to get into.

Yes! What the hooza is going on with that book? I impulse clicked based on the name alone and a desire to catch up on GeoForce, Katana, Halo, Looker, Grace Choi, Thunder, Lightning, Technocrat, Metamorpho, Wylde, Faust or some of the other alum only to find....not at all that. What's the deal?