Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Lemire wrote Ollie during the initial New 52 run, not saying I wouldn't mind him returning, but a new voice could be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Of course, New52 Ollie was a totally different critter (younger / less experienced), so it might be interesting to see how Lemire handles a slightly older / more experienced Ollie this time.
    I either forgot or never knew about Lemire writing Ollie (I had a lot going on during the New 52 so I’m spotty on it), my bad!
    But yes, Lemire on a more classic older GA is what I was imagining.

But if you start Green Arrow in a new book that quickly tanks because people don't like the writer and/or the art, then that further damages the property.
    But there is no one else at DC that can currently write good street level fighter stories.

The Batman writers are a wash, guys like Williamson are great at writing straight laced heroes, but are useless when it comes to writing a guy with some grit. DC currently has a serious writer's deficit at the moment.

I agree with the other guy, just give it to Bendis and see what he can do. His Daredevil run shows he can get the job done.

While your at it...give Bendis a Question series to.

Mighty Member

Bendis would be a solid pick for GA. I wish Bendis would play into his strengths more because it's obvious he still wants to do Street Level ideas, but he mixes them in with these great big Cosmic events And that just doesn't work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Bendis would be a solid pick for GA. I wish Bendis would play into his strengths more because it's obvious he still wants to do Street Level ideas, but he mixes them in with these great big Cosmic events And that just doesn't work anymore
    ^^^i think it works. His Batman Universe did exactly that, starting w. a very street level crime then building to a cosmic type event. It was the best Bat story I’ve read in ages.
    Stories like that could def. work for Ollie, who’s just a guy w. a bow. Something about that type of character ending up opposite almost godlike beings and not blinking makes for great drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post

^^^Take. My. Money.

. . . I agree with the other guy, just give it to Bendis and see what he can do. His Daredevil run shows he can get the job done.

Wasn't Bendis' last issue writing Daredevil over fifteen years ago?

How many good runs has he had since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Do people really want the type of decompression and lazy character work from Checkmate to follow Ollie on a new ongoing?
    Please no. I've had enough of Bendis.
    Me too. So far the only good thing he's written for DC was the future Batman/Penguin short in one of those Batman anniversary anthologies. Everything else has been straight up trash. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would want him to write a character that they love, Marvel history or not. I didn't read his stuff for Marvel but he's clearly past his sell-by date.

Regarding the earlier post about him guesting in JL, he's a core member not a guest star. He was a guest star for the first several issues of The Flash and he's also a major character in Checkmate though, so he's getting a lot of attention at DC even though I too would prefer a GA series, especially now that he's back as the classic version of the character. 2 out of 3 of those are by Bendis though and are positively awful.

Of course, New52 Ollie was a totally different critter (younger / less experienced), so it might be interesting to see how Lemire handles a slightly older / more experienced Ollie this time.
    Agreed, that was an entirely different GA than the classic version we're reading about lately. The New 52 version didn't include Dinah, Roy, or the rest of his supporting cast. He didn't even sport a goatee. Lemire is an excellent choice (see: Black Hammer). Lately I'm so high on Tom Taylor's Nightwing and Son of Kal-El that I'd be happy to see him write GA too.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    …Lately I'm so high on Tom Taylor's Nightwing and Son of Kal-El that I'd be happy to see him write GA too.
    Another GREAT choice. I’d previously read this article…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...-superman/amp/

…and you reminded me of it! He wants the character and that’s always a plus.

Hell, I’d like Bruno Redondo along, too.

His work is stellar and compliments Taylor.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Another GREAT choice. I’d previously read this article…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...-superman/amp/

…and you reminded me of it! He wants the character and that’s always a plus.

Hell, I’d like Bruno Redondo along, too.

His work is stellar and compliments Taylor.
    NO! Redondo can NEVER leave Nightwing!!!! I would not be opposed to Taylor writing Ollie, nor would I mind Lemire returning. (If we can get Lemire to return can we also get Otto Schmidt to return as well?

NO! Redondo can NEVER leave Nightwing!!!!
    ^^^he could double down!

I would not be opposed to Taylor writing Ollie, nor would I mind Lemire returning. (If we can get Lemire to return can we also get Otto Schmidt to return as well?
    ^^^I'd be a-ok w. Otto Schmidt!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Me too. So far the only good thing he's written for DC was the future Batman/Penguin short in one of those Batman anniversary anthologies. Everything else has been straight up trash. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would want him to write a character that they love, Marvel history or not. I didn't read his stuff for Marvel but he's clearly past his sell-by date.

Regarding the earlier post about him guesting in JL, he's a core member not a guest star. He was a guest star for the first several issues of The Flash and he's also a major character in Checkmate though, so he's getting a lot of attention at DC even though I too would prefer a GA series, especially now that he's back as the classic version of the character. 2 out of 3 of those are by Bendis though and are positively awful.
    When Bendis was at Marvel, he was given the keys to basically craft one of the best eras of Marvel.
    New Avengers, Ultimate Spider-man, Daredevil, Secret Invasion, House of M... All of these are well loved and are still spoken about today.

His New Avengers in particular was a lengthy and amazing run which tied into his own Avengers run and gave us some pretty solid Avengers titles.

Bendis was king.
    But since the Death of Ultimate Spider-man, the only great things he did was Miles and Batman Universe.
    The problem with Bendis is that his style didn't change, actually the opposite, it stayed the same.

I was excited for his Justice league, but it was just boring. And he isn't doing anything different than what he did on New Avengers, but that's the problem. New Avengers was 15 years ago... He hasn't changed. And now he is dealing with Cosmic Level characters which aren't what he is good at.
    I've said, if you stick him on a Batman ongoing, you could have one of the best Batman runs in recent memory. But you could also have one of the worst. There's no middle ground with Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    . . . I've said, if you stick him on a Batman ongoing, you could have one of the best Batman runs in recent memory. But you could also have one of the worst. There's no middle ground with Bendis.
    But Bendis-"dialogue" is so atrocious it could kill off anything.

But Bendis-"dialogue" is so atrocious it could kill off anything.
    Don't entirely agree with this comment, but again...

There is presently no one at DC who is proven to be good at writing street level heroes. The Batman writers are a wash, he's obviously a fan of both Green Arrow and the Question, and on the basis of his Daredevil run alone, I say...

put him on a Green Arrow and Question title and see what he can do.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Don't entirely agree with this comment, but again...

There is presently no one at DC who is proven to be good at writing street level heroes. The Batman writers are a wash, he's obviously a fan of both Green Arrow and the Question, and on the basis of his Daredevil run alone, I say...

put him on a Green Arrow and Question title and see what he can do.
    Isn't that what Checkmate is??
    And it's instantly forgettable. I find myself grabbing the previous issue to remind myself what happened previously before reading the latest book.
    It is supposed to be Bendis' wheelhouse! What he's given us is remarkably average.

Give Tom Taylor a go!
    1. He's an Aussie (we stick together)
    2. His work on Nightwing is EXTREMELY well received.
    3. Ollie is a character he's keen to work on. Usually a plus.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Isn't that what Checkmate is??
    And it's instantly forgettable. I find myself grabbing the previous issue to remind myself what happened previously before reading the latest book.
    It is supposed to be Bendis' wheelhouse! What he's given us is remarkably average.
    No I disagree. Checkmate is primarily wrapped up in the Event Leviathan storyline, if you jettisoned the whole Superman Lois Lane, villainous Leviathan organization it would be much better.

The only thing enjoyable in that read has been The Question & Green Arrow

I imagine Bendis is tied down in a heavy duty contract whereby he's expected to work on a major trilogy character like Superman alongside the Justice League.

I'm a huge fan of Green Arrow, Bendis's work on Daredevil was great, I say he's worthy to give it a go.