Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Green Arrow ongoing...

when is Ollie getting his own series again? Almost 3 years since his last one. DC must really dislike the Emerald archer...

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    when is Ollie getting his own series again? Almost 3 years since his last one. DC must really dislike the Emerald archer...
    Then again, what were sales on that last one like?

Mighty Member

So, where is the character now? I'm guessing guesting in Justice League?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, where is the character now? I'm guessing guesting in Justice League?
    Yep.
    Plus appearances in Checkmate and in a mini series with Aquaman that kicked off this week.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ollie is one of my favourite characters, but for me, they have to have a good writer.

I'd rather wait to they get someone of quality on the title.

Bendis would be my pick, put him on a Green Arrow and a Question title.

He should stop messing about with metahumans and write what he's good at.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Ollie is one of my favourite characters, but for me, they have to have a good writer.

I'd rather wait to they get someone of quality on the title.

Bendis would be my pick, put him on a Green Arrow and a Question title.

He should stop messing about with metahumans and write what he's good at.
    See, that's what I thought too. But I'll be buggered if Checkmate isn't one hard slog.
    He's got Manhunter, Ollie, Question and it's still awful. It moves at a glacial pace and is SO. DAMN. BORING.

That said, I do agree that if you're going to relaunch the book make sure you have a great writer.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    See, that's what I thought too. But I'll be buggered if Checkmate isn't one hard slog.
    He's got Manhunter, Ollie, Question and it's still awful. It moves at a glacial pace and is SO. DAMN. BORING.

That said, I do agree that if you're going to relaunch the book make sure you have a great writer.
    Your right, Checkmate has been well...very slow, but I thought things picked up in the last issue.

Personally, I like how he writes both the Green Arrow...and yes....that includes Ollie's line of beaming up to the JLA satellite to enjoy the view while he...ahem...takes a dump.

I do think it's trendy to hate on Bendis these days (I loathe what he did to the Legion) but he's taken Green Arrow & the Question under his wing....so i can't complain.

Do people really want the type of decompression and lazy character work from Checkmate to follow Ollie on a new ongoing?
    Please no. I've had enough of Bendis.

He is running the Justice League now plus Checkmate. He is also in that Aquaman/Green Arrow mini. DC also published the Green Arrow: 100 Page Super Spectacular #1 in celebration of his 80th anniversary.

Sales are ultimately what matters. So DC is giving character focus and build up until they can roll out another ongoing.

Ya just give the book to Bendis, see what he can do for awhile...if it sucks just get another writer. I just want to see the GA monthly again.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Ya just give the book to Bendis, see what he can do for awhile...if it sucks just get another writer. I just want to see the GA monthly again.
    But if you start Green Arrow in a new book that quickly tanks because people don't like the writer and/or the art, then that further damages the property.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would definitely love to see Ollie back headlining his own series, but other than Bendis, I can't imagine who I would like to see take on a series with him. Bunn maybe? Zdarsky?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would definitely love to see Ollie back headlining his own series, but other than Bendis, I can't imagine who I would like to see take on a series with him. Bunn maybe? Zdarsky?
    Those are two great choices. I’d add Lemire to that list. All three are (imo) writers that wouldn’t pigeonhole Ollie into just fighting other archers and crime kingpins, but involve him in some truly bizarre adventures.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Those are two great choices. I’d add Lemire to that list. All three are (imo) writers that wouldn’t pigeonhole Ollie into just fighting other archers and crime kingpins, but involve him in some truly bizarre adventures.
    Lemire wrote Ollie during the initial New 52 run, not saying I wouldn't mind him returning, but a new voice could be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Lemire wrote Ollie during the initial New 52 run, not saying I wouldn't mind him returning, but a new voice could be nice.
    Of course, New52 Ollie was a totally different critter (younger / less experienced), so it might be interesting to see how Lemire handles a slightly older / more experienced Ollie this time.