Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    If Bruce was gay in some alternative version, I wouldn't mind seeing him hook up with Constantine.
    Which reminds me that Brian Azzarello already wrote a kind of a parody of Bruce in his Hellblazer run and that character was gay. I was not a fan of that run, but this character was sort of hilarious in how over the top he was. If I remember correctly, it was implied that he was feeding orphans to bats, in order to get magical powers.
    I wouldn't wish Constantine as a partner for my worst enemy much less my favorite superhero.

It would have to be Superman, Catman, J'onn, Harvey Dent or Barry Allen as a love interest.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Only if the writers portray him that way. Batman wasn't a paranoid, psychologically damaged, borderline abusive if not outright abusive adoptive father until Frank Miller wrote him in TDK Returns.
    And yet it has become defining aspects of his character, at this point, you can't really separate them from his character unless is in a seriously watered-down version aimed at an entirely different demographic, and even then it can still show up.

Furthermore, the public perception of rich people is pretty bad, could you really look at one of many billionaires in the world coming as gay and then adopting a bunch of orphaned kids without thinking he's a creep?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I refuse to believe that slutty playboy billionaire Bruce Wayne has not slept with at least one dude in his lifetime.

And if it was only one, that man should be Thomas Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    And yet it has become defining aspects of his character, at this point, you can't really separate them from his character unless is in a seriously watered-down version aimed at an entirely different demographic, and even then it can still show up.

Furthermore, the public perception of rich people is pretty bad, could you really look at one of many billionaires in the world coming as gay and then adopting a bunch of orphaned kids without thinking he's a creep?
    We're in bad shape if removing Bruce's abusive tendencies results in people thinking he's "watered down."

Of course, since the wider Bat-family doesn't consistently make it into a lot of mainstream media aimed at other demographics and things almost never get as bad as the comics when they do, I doubt that an announcement of DC/WB making him gay would result in a backlash. At least not for those reasons. It's only really part of the main comics canon, and since canon fluctuates every other week and we're on like the fourth or fifth mainline canon version of Bruce, we cannot consider it a "defining aspect" of his character in any serious sense.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Playboy Bruce who is gay? Of course even if it was an AU version, twitter would explode. Bruce being Bruce though would be sleeping with every twink/pretty boy with a 6 pack that was in Gotham.

Yes. I dont look at one of the many gay millionaires who decide to have kids or adopt as creeps. Would Bruce be looked at as a creep if he had adopted Barbara or Stephanie Brown?
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 10-30-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I refuse to believe that slutty playboy billionaire Bruce Wayne has not slept with at least one dude in his lifetime.

We're in bad shape if removing Bruce's abusive tendencies results in people thinking he's "watered down."

Of course, since the wider Bat-family doesn't consistently make it into a lot of mainstream media aimed at other demographics and things almost never get as bad as the comics when they do, I doubt that an announcement of DC/WB making him gay would result in a backlash. At least not for those reasons. It's only really part of the main comics canon, and since canon fluctuates every other week and we're on like the fourth or fifth mainline canon version of Bruce, we cannot consider it a "defining aspect" of his character in any serious sense.
    Batman and Robin are intrinsically linked in the popular conscience regardless of the version in turn actually having a Robin by his side. And for most people there's only one Robin anyways.

You could seen it when media outlets covering the news about Tim kept referring to him just as Robin, giving the impression they were talking about Dick. It has happened for decades now, like when Jason was voted to be killed, a lot of people thought they were voting for Dick's death.

What if DC introduced Bruce Wayne as gay? Then he be would known as The World's Gayest Detective...sorry couldn't help myself

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wouldn't wish Constantine as a partner for my worst enemy much less my favorite superhero.

It would have to be Superman, Catman, J'onn, Harvey Dent or Barry Allen as a love interest.
    Same here. Constantine is a bit too much of a mess.

If we're going chaotic-vibes Bi vigilante romantic/sexual partner for a hypothetically gay Bruce Wayne Batman, then Ghost-Maker all the way. He's actually on Bruce's level, they know each other well and have formative history together, and Ghost-Maker has his stuff together considerably more so than the likes of Constantine.

Well...we would finally find out why he likes to recruit young boys in tights.

I'm not really bothered about changes in sexuality per say, but I am bothered if it drastically changes the continuity of a character because than it feels like the change was done soley for politics... as opposed to keeping in tradition with the character.

I could also she him and Selina bringing another dude into the mix for those special nights.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

The answer is Ra's al Ghul. He really wanted to get into Bruce's body in DCAU.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman and Robin are intrinsically linked in the popular conscience regardless of the version in turn actually having a Robin by his side. And for most people there's only one Robin anyways.

You could seen it when media outlets covering the news about Tim kept referring to him just as Robin, giving the impression they were talking about Dick. It has happened for decades now, like when Jason was voted to be killed, a lot of people thought they were voting for Dick's death.
    Well yeah, Batman and Robin are intrinsically linked and the wider populace isn't as familiar with there being multiple Robins.

All of which backs up my point that Bruce recruiting several young dark haired boys and being borderline if not outright abusive towards them in modern comics isn't going to register to a wider audience if the news drops that Bruce is gay/bi. They don't know about any of those stories and wouldn't care to read them even if they did because monthly American comics are a niche thing. So it's not a defining characteristic of his because Batman is bigger than comics (and even in comics, there are 50ish years before Miller ruined him where it would have been OOC).

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I could also she him and Selina bringing another dude into the mix for those special nights.
    Blake again!

Also, it occurs to me that the main Trinity ships in general (Bruce/Selina, Clark/Lois, Diana/Steve) would be open to swinging to varying degrees given the participants involved.

Clark/Lois probably the least likely of those three, but...no way **** doesn't get a little weird at the Fortress of Solitude on occasion.

It's not gay if it's your own Bizarro clone!

Yep. the folks at my work thought the news that Robin was gay was in reference to Dick. Didn't help that most outlets ran the headlines with a picture of Dick's Robin alongside and said things like after more than 80 years batman's sidekick comes out

Blake again!

Also, it occurs to me that the main Trinity ships in general (Bruce/Selina, Clark/Lois, Diana/Steve) would be open to swinging to varying degrees given the participants involved.

Clark/Lois probably the least likely of those three, but...no way **** doesn't get a little weird at the Fortress of Solitude on occasion.
    Those Superman androids are multipurpose for sure.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

All of which backs up my point that Bruce recruiting several young dark haired boys and being borderline if not outright abusive towards them in modern comics isn't going to register to a wider audience if the news drops that Bruce is gay/bi. They don't know about any of those stories and wouldn't care to read them even if they did because monthly American comics are a niche thing. So it's not a defining characteristic of his because Batman is bigger than comics (and even in comics, there are 50ish years before Miller ruined him where it would have been OOC).
    You're deluding yourself if you don't think common folk's minds will immediately jump at the negative implications of making Bruce gay in regards to his relationship with Robin.