Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    And it was an accident.

G'Nort was poisoned, but he didn't notice it because a) alien physiology, and b) ring-a-ding autosaved him (again). And then G'nort, being a dog, peed in the cup.

I'll take my Eisner now.
    It's mine, mine I say!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I.Strange View Post
    He mentions it here at least:

What was it about the pitch that sold you?

SMALLWOOD: Well, it's got a good hook. It's high concept. It reminded me of D.O.A., which is a classic film.

TOM KING: It reminded you of it because I stole directly from it.

SMALLWOOD: Having seen the film and then reading all of your scripts, I know that it's obviously very different in execution. But there's a core concept there that it's reminiscent of the film. I could get a vibe and a tone from [the pitch].
    That's something atleast, though it should be credited in the book itself.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's something atleast, though it should be credited in the book itself.
    Tom King directly lift from media? That's unpossible!

MM12p2.jpgMM12p2TV.jpg
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

MM12p2.jpgMM12p2TV.jpg
    That’s on Gerads not King.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

MM12p2.jpgMM12p2TV.jpg
    Yeah, because those are the same. Where’s my roll eyes emoji?

What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s on Gerads not King.
    It's unlikely either was unaware and/or unwilling to use the actual copy of the scene.

Extraordinary Member

It's unlikely either was unaware and/or unwilling to use the actual copy of the scene.
    Maybe, maybe not - but the way you phrased certainly seemed to throw all the blame on King.

The scene is of a woman waking up and seeing her husband in the shower. How many times has that happened in any form of storytelling? Would you say a million or a billion?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    The scene is of a woman waking up and seeing her husband in the shower. How many times has that happened in any form of storytelling? Would you say a million or a billion?
    The description of the scene is generic, sure...but it's literally traced from Dallas.

Now is King at fault there? I don't know, we'd have to see the script he sent over saying something like" I want this to recognizably be the same as the 'it was all a dream' sequence from Dallas" for us to know for sure, but the artist sure knew what he was tracing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The description of the scene is generic, sure...but it's literally traced from Dallas.

Now is King at fault there? I don't know, we'd have to see the script he sent over saying something like" I want this to recognizably be the same as the 'it was all a dream' sequence from Dallas" for us to know for sure, but the artist sure knew what he was tracing.
    I am inclined to put the responsibility directly on King, but the degree to which Gerads was involved in coming up with the idea is something I am unsure of. Obviously the exact copying of poses was Gerads' work, but "Do the shower scene from Dallas on page 2" in the script would be enough to put the responsibility on King. The hodgepodge of real faces on page one also goes to the pop culture setting of the issue and Dallas fit right in..

At this point, I should say I thought it was a good way to explain the entire first eleven issues away as a dream. It was cute and frankly so much of the series was lifted from Kirby that another direct reference wasn't out of place. I liked it. The reason I brought it up is King has borrowed from other sources and in some cases heavily borrowed (some say stole).

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Maybe, maybe not - but the way you phrased certainly seemed to throw all the blame on King.
    I have no evidence, but that's my belief. Gerads pulled off the detail marvelously, though.

Incredible Member

It certainly looks eerily similar.
    How else to explain why they are all but the same panel by panel?

I’ve never seen the Dallas show, but I’ve seen this “shower scene” mentioned in one or more of those “Looper” or “Mojoverse” YouTube videos out there, and the panels in Mr. Miracle definitely triggered a response of recognition.

::shrug::

Artists imitate other artists all the time. How often has the “Superman holding dead Supergirl” cover been referenced? It’s not really a crime, nor that uncommon to think King/Gerard didn’t do intentionally.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 11-05-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I’ve never seen the Dallas show, but I’ve seen this “shower scene” mentioned in one or more of those “Looper” or “Mojoverse” YouTube videos out there, and the panels in Mr. Miracle definitely triggered a response of recognition.

::shrug::

Artists imitate other artists all the time. How often has the “Superman holding dead Supergirl” cover been referenced? It’s not really a crime, nor that uncommon to think King/Gerard didn’t do intentionally.
    ...It's definitely intentional, there's really no way to argue it isn't.
    And, usually when an artist homages Crisis On Infinite Earths #7 they add in "after Perez" somewhere, as attribution is important. That's been my sticking point from the start, if "inspired by D.O.A." was printed on the title page it wouldn't be an issue but with out that it just comes across as theft.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-05-2021 at 01:52 PM.