Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Human Target #1 Preview

The Human Target #1 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Greg Smallwood

Ice and Christopher Chance - The DC Romance no one asked for ?

I think I'll give this a chance (just realized the pun as I typed it), but knowing it's King I'm fully prepared that it will turn out the person who put a hit on Luthor will be Superman - not because he hates him, but because he was going to reveal that he and many of Superman's other rogues were just paid to act like villains so Superman could be seen as a hero and boost Lois Lane's notoriety as a reporter because he was stalking her (and using his super-senses to spy on her) and wanted to do something to get her attention and get her in bed. ... Or something else equally horrible and depressing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ice and Christopher Chance - The DC Romance no one asked for ?
    Guy's gonna be maaaad....

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think I'll give this a chance (just realized the pun as I typed it), but knowing it's King I'm fully prepared that it will turn out the person who put a hit on Luthor will be Superman - not because he hates him, but because he was going to reveal that he and many of Superman's other rogues were just paid to act like villains so Superman could be seen as a hero and boost Lois Lane's notoriety as a reporter because he was stalking her (and using his super-senses to spy on her) and wanted to do something to get her attention and get her in bed. ... Or something else equally horrible and depressing.
    I shouldn't have laughed at this as hard as I did .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    King's gonna King like a king.

I would LIKE to give it a chance, but I just finished "Strange Adventures" and am somewhat disheartened. Reading "Strange Adventures" was giving King another chance. I'll read it, but probably on Hoopla for free at this point lol...
    AND he's already had two turns at Booster Gold, and once at Blue Beetle. Not excited to see what else King wants to throw in or how he wants to make some kind of dark take on the JLI.

Also, people say that when, in a movies, someone coughs, they will be dead by the end. Just sayin'.

A big reason I'm getting this is actually the art anyway and it's a gorgeous book. I can at least enjoy that before King really gets his King on...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've long been a huge fan of Human Target and it seemed like something King could do well with his love of mystery tropes, but here it seems he has moved on from just loving the common tropes and techniques of old mystery thrillers and decided to just commit out right plagiarism. With a simple stroke of the pen Frank Bigelow becomes Christopher Chase and then the plot of Rudolph Maté's 1950 noir classic D.O.A. continues on with out any further interruptions. It's literally a beat for beat copy of the film, right down to the lead continuing to recollect that the drink that turned out to be poison tasted funny. And I get the temptation, it's a great plot where the hero is trying to crack the case of who murdered them before they die from the poison and yeah it is public domain so there's nothing legally wrong with remaking it as a Human Target story...but it should be credited as such, and it isn't which really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    The art though? My gog that's the best art I've seen in a long while. Every panel was perfect, I especially loved how he did the title page at the end.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I've long been a huge fan of Human Target and it seemed like something King could do well with his love of mystery tropes, but here it seems he has moved on from just loving the common tropes and techniques of old mystery thrillers and decided to just commit out right plagiarism. With a simple stroke of the pen Frank Bigelow becomes Christopher Chase and then the plot of Rudolph Maté's 1950 noir classic D.O.A. continues on with out any further interruptions. It's literally a beat for beat copy of the film, right down to the lead continuing to recollect that the drink that turned out to be poison tasted funny. And I get the temptation, it's a great plot where the hero is trying to crack the case of who murdered them before they die from the poison and yeah it is public domain so there's nothing legally wrong with remaking it as a Human Target story...but it should be credited as such, and it isn't which really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    The art though? My gog that's the best art I've seen in a long while. Every panel was perfect, I especially loved how he did the title page at the end.
    Eh, maybe the poison is a metaphor for Middle Eastern violence.

Logical narrative isn't King's strong suit.

Always Rakzo

Considering how unnecessarily cryptic Rorschach was and how overwritten Supergirl is, I think a more straightforward story like this one was an appropriate direction for King and I enjoyed it so far.

The art definitely helped to sell the premise too. Hopefully it doesn't go like most of King's stories where many of the chapters become pointless and redundant.

Why does the art have to be so good? King gets me everytime with the orgasmic art he has on his series.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Why does the art have to be so good? King gets me everytime with the orgasmic art he has on his series.
    Same for Taylor. Inconsistent writers get some of the best artists for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Isn't he doing same with Supergirl?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Isn't he doing same with Supergirl?
    What is he ripping off there?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!