Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Vaccine question

So, my Mom has a friend who's son's refusing the vaccine because he's afraid that it'll make him sterile. Additionally my wife knows someone at work where she and her whole family are refusing the vaccine. I don't understand why people can be so stubborn. The breakthroughs of people who got COVID and are vaccinated seem to be the rallying cry of the anti-vaxcers like "see? I told ya so". But isn't it possible the breakthroughs happen because people are getting their second dose and immediately going out and not social distancing/masking?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, my Mom has a friend who's son's refusing the vaccine because he's afraid that it'll make him sterile. Additionally my wife knows someone at work where she and her whole family are refusing the vaccine. I don't understand why people can be so stubborn. The breakthroughs of people who got COVID and are vaccinated seem to be the rallying cry of the anti-vaxcers like "see? I told ya so". But isn't it possible the breakthroughs happen because people are getting their second dose and immediately going out and not social distancing/masking?
    It is hard to get though to many people like this. If they were open to reason, they would have gotten vaccinated by now.

Though, and I'm sorry if this sounds snarky, but as the man who is afraid of becoming sterile...has he considered that dying from COVID would also make him sterile? They worry about unproven issues like sterility, but not of the proven issue of Death or a lifetime of medical issues associated with Long COVID.

COVID is likely to become much like the Flu, and like the Flu we may need yearly shots, and like the Flu, those who don't get the shots and get COVID will be lucky if they don't die from it.

So, let's just wish him luck, hope he doesn't get exposed to COVID and if he does, hope it doesn't get it really bad.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The percent of those who are hospitalized or die because of COVID who are vaccinated is around 10%, which is in line with the effectiveness predictions. In other words, you are 10 times more likely to get sick or die if you are unvaccinated.
    These people are idiots who glory in their ignorance.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If given a choice between being sterile and being dead, I’ll gladly take the former, then embrace adoption.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The percent of those who are hospitalized or die because of COVID who are vaccinated is around 10%, which is in line with the effectiveness predictions. In other words, you are 10 times more likely to get sick or die if you are unvaccinated.
    These people are idiots who glory in their ignorance.
    Thanks for the statistic. Really sheds a lot of light. I think a lot of people don't even look at that stat and just hear buzz words like BREAKTHROUGH

Thanks for the statistic. Really sheds a lot of light. I think a lot of people don't even look at that stat and just hear buzz words like BREAKTHROUGH
    Their argument is the same as not wearing seat belts because some people die even with seat belts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unless I planned on starting, something like, six or seven separate families in the future?

Hit the fertility clinic. "Captain America..." what you will need to start a family should things go sideways. Get vaccinated.

See where things go from there.

If there is an issue, you should be able to contend with the only real need you would have.

That someone could shoot a police officer in the head does nothing to subtract from all of the times that a bulletproof vest will likely save their lives.

All that said...

I've always thought that it was a mistake to pitch the thing as a vaccine, and promise folks that the were going to be able to go right back to their normal lives after they were "Vaccinated..."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    All that said...

I've always thought that it was a mistake to pitch the thing as a vaccine, and promise folks that the were going to be able to go right back to their normal lives after they were "Vaccinated..."
    Science is imperfect until it is perfected, it is an art until all the facts are in. You have to tell people something. you can be pessimistic and tell people that no one knows for sure when things will get back to normal, but you should get vaccinated anyway. Or you can be optimistic and say that getting vaccinated will increase the chances of things getting back to normal soon.

And in truth, if everyone in the country got vaccinated ASAP, by now we'd be at about 90% and the COVID infection rate would be down significantly. And things would be closer to being back to normal.

No one could fully predict how virulent the Anti-vax messaging would be, and how many people would refuse to get vaccinated.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Actually, at 90%, the virus could have trouble finding hosts and die out.
    But the GOP and MAGAs decided people should keep dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Science is imperfect until it is perfected, it is an art until all the facts are in. You have to tell people something. you can be pessimistic and tell people that no one knows for sure when things will get back to normal, but you should get vaccinated anyway. Or you can be optimistic and say that getting vaccinated will increase the chances of things getting back to normal soon.

And in truth, if everyone in the country got vaccinated ASAP, by now we'd be at about 90% and the COVID infection rate would be down significantly. And things would be closer to being back to normal.

No one could fully predict how virulent the Anti-vax messaging would be, and how many people would refuse to get vaccinated.
    It's not really being pessimistic to just level with folks though.

This is really the first time that we have tried something like this, and not everyone is onboard.

Never mind that no one said "Increase the chances..."

"You will be able to go back to your regular life..." was what was said.

If you don't know one hundred percent that you can actually deliver in that?

You need to be saying anything but that.

As far as not being able to predict?

Got to politely disagree a bit there.

We have had outbreaks of diseases that are all but wiped out because folks ducked vaccinating someone. That was with actual vaccines that are far more on a known quantity.

While it's been a bit more than I thought, it has also not exactly been a shock how many folks have wanted to avoid vaccination. Never mind that a lot of the plan has been "Vaccination or regular testing..." It's not much of a shock that quite a few folks would rather be tested on a regular basis.

Not anything like what I would do personally, but also not exactly impossible to predict.

BANNED

There are many reasons not to get it.

1.Religious Exemption - Fetal stem cells were used in the development of all the the vaccines. This is against Christian values.
    2.Unknown Effects - Long term side effects are unknown. Something nasty could happen too many who get vaccinated in the years to come or they might be safe. Only time will tell.
    3.Age/Gender - Depending on your age and gender you are more likely to have an adverse reaction to the vaccine than be hospitalized or die from COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post

1.Religious Exemption - Fetal stem cells were used in the development of all the the vaccines. This is against Christian values.
    2.Unknown Effects - Long term side effects are unknown. Something nasty could happen too many who get vaccinated in the years to come or they might be safe. Only time will tell.
    3.Age/Gender - Depending on your age and gender you are more likely to have an adverse reaction to the vaccine than be hospitalized or die from COVID.

Barring some data that actually suggests that? I tend to doubt it.

As for "Unknown Effects...", lots of folks have been vaccinated and we are going on a year in.

How long before folks start to doubt these "Unknown Effects..." to the same degree that they worry about "What If?..." situations that will most likely never come to pass?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post

1. The frigging Pope came out and said people should be vaccinated
    2. How about a known and nasty side effect from not getting the shot---DEATH!
    3. I'm 62 and never had any bad reaction, neither have people older than me
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!