Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What's your favorite bit of head canon you've heard?

Every comic fans has their own head canon. Some are big additions. Others are small. Frankly, at this point, the official "canon" of the DCU seems to be whatever head canon the fans want to use, so I figure let's go wild.

I'll start with one I heard from Robanker that I love. Clark Kent hates wizards. He just hates magic. Even when he was a kid watching a magic show at some birthday party in Smallville, he was the kid at the back giving the dude pulling a rabbit out of his hat the stink-eye. That's just perfect.

What about you guys? What's head canon do you love?

J'onn J'onzz is pansexual and gender fluid. The idea that a very non human looking telepathic shape changing alien is what we'd identify as a cis heterosexual man is actually ridiculous if you think about it.

Someone once wrote an essay on a blog analyzing a splash page of JL and talked about the different flying styles of characters who can fly.

Superman always zips from point A to B like a speeding bullet. Arms forward and every flight with purpose and determination. Since he would have grown up hiding his abilities and thus moving in secret.

Wonder Woman glides through the air gracefully like somebody who has been flying in the open air since she was a child and she takes her time to observe and enjoy every moment of it.

There were more but that's all I remember for now. There was a lot of interesting tidbits in that article and it was also fun to think about. Like, I imagine Hal positions his arms downwards like an upside down V to resemble an aeroplane. All the mystic types like Zee and Fate fly like they are being carried by wires. John Stewart is probably more of a Superman style flier while Kyle and Billy are more in the WW style of flight.

Batman lost his family so the Bat Family is him subconsciously recreating the family he lost. I don't recall this being explicitly stated in canon but it does fit and explains the ever expanding Bat Family in universe.

Harley Quinn is a straight up villain. None of this "anti-hero, she can redeem herself" nonsense that DC has turned her into. She is NOT one of Batman's allies because she is still in cahoots with the Joker. The Joker does NOT abuse her, he just abuses OTHER people, like members of the Bat family. Harley Quinn and Punchline are both of Joker's sidekicks.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Someone once wrote an essay on a blog analyzing a splash page of JL and talked about the different flying styles of characters who can fly.

Superman always zips from point A to B like a speeding bullet. Arms forward and every flight with purpose and determination. Since he would have grown up hiding his abilities and thus moving in secret.

Wonder Woman glides through the air gracefully like somebody who has been flying in the open air since she was a child and she takes her time to observe and enjoy every moment of it.

There were more but that's all I remember for now. There was a lot of interesting tidbits in that article and it was also fun to think about. Like, I imagine Hal positions his arms downwards like an upside down V to resemble an aeroplane. All the mystic types like Zee and Fate fly like they are being carried by wires. John Stewart is probably more of a Superman style flier while Kyle and Billy are more in the WW style of flight.
    Hawkman and Hawkgirl sometimes fly into windows, because that's just what birds do sometimes.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Head-canon: The destruction of Krypton is a pivotal point in the history of the universe engineered by the Guardians. They pretend not to care but that's in part because not all of them actually know, but those who do know don't want the universe to know the truth.

But why? Well, we know the Guardians don't like creating temporal paradoxes, but we also know they're not above using temporal observations.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Instead of playboy billionaire, Bruce uses the excuse of being a tired dad of 10 to explain his sleepiness and injuries

Then to explain him always standing up women, he has an affair with his bodyguard the Batman

Two-Face is bisexual

The one abusing Damian is not Talia but Ra's. Talia isn't a saint, she's still queen of international crime, but specifically about family, she loves her child and Bruce enough to gave both away so Bruce can continue to be Batman without baggage as told in Son of The Demon. It was Ra's that stole him back so he has an heir and a vessel. I haven't thought of what to do with Batman Inc though. (Damian still has his brattiness because he's still raised entitled. )

The Sensei is Chinese, Ruh, her brother, and Ra's al Ghul are Turkish (Ottoman), Sora and her father are Iranian (Persian), Dusan and Mara al Ghul are Iraqi (unless they're already confirmed somewhere). The rest of the al Ghul are already confirmed.

Barbara Gordon's age is exactly in the middle between Dick and Bruce. So if Dick is 30 and Bruce is 45, Babs is 37 going on 38. A compromise between Bronze Age and today.

Luka/Katrina Netz is different from Katherine Webb. Dr. Dedalus has 3 daughters.

Dick wasn't fired from Robin, he quits because he's no longer a child.

Jason became Robin with Dick's blessing, Bruce didn't make him Robin behind his back, and Everyone Want To Adopt Jason Todd (Dick, Bruce, Nocturna, Man-Bat) is canon

Bruce was not a jerk trying to make Tim jealous when making Steph Robin. She's the one available and has proven herself over the years, even when Bruce initially disapproved of untrained kids.

Zod has three sons. Val-Zod from his first wife , Lor-Zod and Chris Kent from Ursa. I haven't thought of what's Chris's Zod name now that they're different characters. They love all of them, situation just placed Chris in the Kents custody. Chris Kent survives.

Freddy Freeman is not blond and doesn't look like a hippie transformed. Screw that.

Bette got over her idolization of Kate and joined Dick in Bludhaven as Nightwing and Flamebird

Actually Tim, Steph, Babs and Cass also moved to Bludhaven since too many of the Bat fam are in Gotham. Helena, Duke, Luke, Kate, Jason, Damian, and Jace can stay.

Ghost Maker needs to leave Gotham. As Bruce's rival he should be a character that's used sparingly.

The first superhero ever was Superboy of Smallville, predating Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Diana, and the rest of the JSA.

As decadent vampires, Cain The First Vampire, Andrew Bennett and Mary Queen of Blood have been in a threesome a lot.

Bruce does NOT like Midnighter. Not only he reminds him of himself, he flirted with Dick, which for him there is not enough brain bleach. Dick was unbothered because he knows Midnighter enough to see the difference between him and Bruce, Midnighter already annoyed him anyway, and he himself subconsciously attracted to Helena because she reminded him of Bruce, which Babs had to spell it out for him (this part is canon btw)

No matter how good Hugo Strange is analyzing the Bat fam, he always comes to the wrong conclusion.

Harley only has one PHD, thanks. There's already enough genius in DC, and to get a license it takes maybe 8 years, so that alone is enough. I'm more interested in a character with a more realistic intelligence anyway.

Speaking of realistic intelligence, Bruce is the world's greatest detective, not the greatest martial artist, engineer, or mechanic. Limit the multidisciplinary genius to just two discipline. Apply that to everyone, including Luthor.

Jason was never killed by The Joker, he became Red Hood out of a difference of ideology with Joker still being the main cause. He was picked up by Talia after he ran away. As such, he never got dipped in Lazarus Pit and suffered from the insanity that eventually landed him in Arkham.

Stephanie Brown is the Batgirl of Burnside while Barbara uses Batgirl Prime avatar in the Dark Web preventing cyber crimes.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-30-2021 at 04:17 AM.

This is from Robanker, Diana hates it when she eats out with Clark and Bruce since they always order her Mediterranean food since after living thousands of years on Themyscira, that is the last thing she wants more of in Man's World.

Everyone hates it when Hal Jordan is on monitor duty because he uses it to play his playlist of 70s rock and music from alien world's that incomprehensible to most people on Earth on the intercom system.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Freddy Freeman is not blond and doesn't look like a hippie transformed. Screw that.
    I was very happy when the movie did not go with that look.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-30-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Retired

The Sand Superman took the place of the Byrne Superman and everything that happened after that was the Man of Sand's experience--Byrne's Man of Steel has yet to return.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

What I remember from those group shots is that The Flash is running at the same speed as Batman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    What I remember from those group shots is that The Flash is running at the same speed as Batman.
    Ha, I remember the same with all those Teen Titans splash pages / group shot covers, the whole team is running, flying, teleporting in and they are all arriving at the exact same time, even though Robin and Cyborg should be lumbering in ten minutes after Kid Flash and Raven have cleared the battlefield (those two arriving a few minutes before Starfire, Changeling and Donna Troy manage to fly in).

"I have the power to teleport exactly as fast as the dude with no super-powers and a belt full of explosives can run..."

Even worse is when Batman manages to survive the same energy blast that takes Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The color spectrum in Green Lantern and the element system in Swamp Thing/Animal man are the different manifestations of the same cosmic forces.

Incredible Member

Dick Grayson and Lois Lane have unofficially adopted one another as big sister and baby brother.
    The two of them have been close since their "date" in World's Finest where Lois bought Dick a burger and fruit.
    Lois harasses Dick frequently about his relationships, thinking he could do much better.
    Dick is still pissed at the whole Clark relationship with Diana, but Lois has told him she loves Clark, so shut up.
    Dick loves Clark, he's a mentor, but he did Lois wrong. Don't even get Dick started on the time that Lois went out with Bruce.
    Dick when a little boy figured out that Lois knew that Superman was Clark Kent, but she has sworn him to silence.
    Let Clark think he surprised her, you have to appease male egos sometimes. Lois has also made it clear when Dick
    does decide to get married, she has a veto over the bride.

Bruce and Clark are really good friends. They have been through a lot together, they have their differences.

The Barry Allen-Hal Jordan friendship is overrated. Barry is still pissed that Hal made a pass at Iris. They still hang
    out from time to time, but aren't super tight. It could be worse, Barry figures Hal is better than Oliver Queen.

Ted Grant Wildcat used to rub the younger members of the JSA the wrong way. All those stories about fighting
    crime in the 1940s. Don't even bring him up to Power Girl. On the other hand, everyone loved Jay Garrick, what a sweetheart.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-30-2021 at 12:20 PM.