Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What's your favorite bit of head canon you've heard?

Every comic fans has their own head canon. Some are big additions. Others are small. Frankly, at this point, the official "canon" of the DCU seems to be whatever head canon the fans want to use, so I figure let's go wild.

I'll start with one I heard from Robanker that I love. Clark Kent hates wizards. He just hates magic. Even when he was a kid watching a magic show at some birthday party in Smallville, he was the kid at the back giving the dude pulling a rabbit out of his hat the stink-eye. That's just perfect.

What about you guys? What's head canon do you love?

J'onn J'onzz is pansexual and gender fluid. The idea that a very non human looking telepathic shape changing alien is what we'd identify as a cis heterosexual man is actually ridiculous if you think about it.

Someone once wrote an essay on a blog analyzing a splash page of JL and talked about the different flying styles of characters who can fly.

Superman always zips from point A to B like a speeding bullet. Arms forward and every flight with purpose and determination. Since he would have grown up hiding his abilities and thus moving in secret.

Wonder Woman glides through the air gracefully like somebody who has been flying in the open air since she was a child and she takes her time to observe and enjoy every moment of it.

There were more but that's all I remember for now. There was a lot of interesting tidbits in that article and it was also fun to think about. Like, I imagine Hal positions his arms downwards like an upside down V to resemble an aeroplane. All the mystic types like Zee and Fate fly like they are being carried by wires. John Stewart is probably more of a Superman style flier while Kyle and Billy are more in the WW style of flight.

Batman lost his family so the Bat Family is him subconsciously recreating the family he lost. I don't recall this being explicitly stated in canon but it does fit and explains the ever expanding Bat Family in universe.

Harley Quinn is a straight up villain. None of this "anti-hero, she can redeem herself" nonsense that DC has turned her into. She is NOT one of Batman's allies because she is still in cahoots with the Joker. The Joker does NOT abuse her, he just abuses OTHER people, like members of the Bat family. Harley Quinn and Punchline are both of Joker's sidekicks.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Head-canon: The destruction of Krypton is a pivotal point in the history of the universe engineered by the Guardians. They pretend not to care but that's in part because not all of them actually know, but those who do know don't want the universe to know the truth.

But why? Well, we know the Guardians don't like creating temporal paradoxes, but we also know they're not above using temporal observations.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Instead of playboy billionaire, Bruce uses the excuse of being a tired dad of 10 to explain his sleepiness and injuries

Then to explain him always standing up women, he has an affair with his bodyguard the Batman

Two-Face is bisexual

The one abusing Damian is not Talia but Ra's. Talia isn't a saint, she's still queen of international crime, but specifically about family, she loves her child and Bruce enough to gave both away so Bruce can continue to be Batman without baggage as told in Son of The Demon. It was Ra's that stole him back so he has an heir and a vessel. I haven't thought of what to do with Batman Inc though. (Damian still has his brattiness because he's still raised entitled. )

The Sensei is Chinese, Ruh, her brother, and Ra's al Ghul are Turkish (Ottoman), Sora and her father are Iranian (Persian), Dusan and Mara al Ghul are Iraqi (unless they're already confirmed somewhere). The rest of the al Ghul are already confirmed.

Barbara Gordon's age is exactly in the middle between Dick and Bruce. So if Dick is 30 and Bruce is 45, Babs is 37 going on 38. A compromise between Bronze Age and today.

Luka/Katrina Netz is different from Katherine Webb. Dr. Dedalus has 3 daughters.

Dick wasn't fired from Robin, he quits because he's no longer a child.

Jason became Robin with Dick's blessing, Bruce didn't make him Robin behind his back, and Everyone Want To Adopt Jason Todd (Dick, Bruce, Nocturna, Man-Bat) is canon

Bruce was not a jerk trying to make Tim jealous when making Steph Robin. She's the one available and has proven herself over the years, even when Bruce initially disapproved of untrained kids.

Zod has three sons. Val-Zod from his first wife , Lor-Zod and Chris Kent from Ursa. I haven't thought of what's Chris's Zod name now that they're different characters. They love all of them, situation just placed Chris in the Kents custody. Chris Kent survives.

Freddy Freeman is not blond and doesn't look like a hippie transformed. Screw that.

Bette got over her idolization of Kate and joined Dick in Bludhaven as Nightwing and Flamebird

Actually Tim, Steph, Babs and Cass also moved to Bludhaven since too many of the Bat fam are in Gotham. Helena, Duke, Luke, Kate, Jason, Damian, and Jace can stay.

Ghost Maker needs to leave Gotham. As Bruce's rival he should be a character that's used sparingly.

The first superhero ever was Superboy of Smallville, predating Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Diana, and the rest of the JSA.

As decadent vampires, Cain The First Vampire, Andrew Bennett and Mary Queen of Blood have been in a threesome a lot.

Bruce does NOT like Midnighter. Not only he reminds him of himself, he flirted with Dick, which for him there is not enough brain bleach. Dick was unbothered because he knows Midnighter enough to see the difference between him and Bruce, Midnighter already annoyed him anyway, and he himself subconsciously attracted to Helena because she reminded him of Bruce, which Babs had to spell it out for him (this part is canon btw)

No matter how good Hugo Strange is analyzing the Bat fam, he always comes to the wrong conclusion.

Harley only has one PHD, thanks. There's already enough genius in DC, and to get a license it takes maybe 8 years, so that alone is enough. I'm more interested in a character with a more realistic intelligence anyway.

Speaking of realistic intelligence, Bruce is the world's greatest detective, not the greatest martial artist, engineer, or mechanic. Limit the multidisciplinary genius to just two discipline. Apply that to everyone, including Luthor.

Jason was never killed by The Joker, he became Red Hood out of a difference of ideology with Joker still being the main cause. He was picked up by Talia after he ran away. As such, he never got dipped in Lazarus Pit and suffered from the insanity that eventually landed him in Arkham.

Stephanie Brown is the Batgirl of Burnside while Barbara uses Batgirl Prime avatar in the Dark Web preventing cyber crimes.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-30-2021 at 04:17 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Head-canon: The destruction of Krypton is a pivotal point in the history of the universe engineered by the Guardians. They pretend not to care but that's in part because not all of them actually know, but those who do know don't want the universe to know the truth.

But why? Well, we know the Guardians don't like creating temporal paradoxes, but we also know they're not above using temporal observations.
    I gotta ask. Did you grab that from me a few years back on here? Or is this one of those "Great Minds think alike" Things. Cause that's really cool that I'm not the only one thinking about that.
    Bolded the relevant bits down below.

I did this whole crazy write up one night, I the "how to make green lantern sell" thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...an+imperialism

Hell yes. El Gato, you took the words right out of my mouth. I know they're big on the tv show but I was wondering what they were doing in the books, and where they were. I vagely remember them saying the scarabs were magic or techno magic or something, but... The GL Rings are too.

So how about... this... and bear with me. Once everything all the metal and clock events clear up. . .

Follow it up with 3 Arcs Green Lantern: "Cosmic" "HomeWorld" and "Rising Twilight"

So the running theme has often that the Guardians of Oa aren't really all that "GOOD" in the sense that people think of good more like "good" in that they don't want to directly eat or enslave everyone. . .
    Key word "Directly".
    So as much as the Corps represents freedom and are heroes. The Guardians are Politicians working toward the greater good, but realize they look at all races... ALL the races in the galaxy, maybe the universe as Children... or threats. Can you imagine if your entire race... no civilization was veiwed as children and treated as such ultimately?

So they practice essentially (and I say this without judgement because I love the country I grew up in) "American Imperialism" and by that I mean they control worlds and civilizations by placing Military bases on them.
    Now in this case ... it places LANTERNS on them. Literally finding an often slightly disaffected aka fearless representative of the species and Giving it the power of a god. They monitor civilizations that way and "Police" them in the way the U.N. polices nations from making nukes (allegedly).
    The Cosmic series features whatever 2 1/2 Lanterns you want (because one is going to be in the Home world series too.) and what it explores 3 things. 1. Places that the Guardians don't have control of. Thanagarian Realms, The Reach, The relation with the new gods, The remaining Controllers, Starro, Mogul and more... 2. Threats. We're talking Ancient things the Guardians Know about and Dragon Kings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_King_Theory too. I can't just be the eternal war with Parrallax. and thats where the freiza would occur. 3. Shows the places they DO have control of and the fallout and advancement. Essentially how the http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Oa Rules have always been more guidelines, and there are many races all but worship the Lanterns and often embrace Oan law as their own.
    It also going to show how the Guardians and a few other races are the answer to the Fermi Paradox.

Homeworld Follows immediately showing 1.The parallel between earth with its abundance of lanterns and other worlds that have had the same situation.
    1. It is going to DIRECTLY answer the question "why so many lanterns from one planet. A planet that doesn't even have intersteller travel otherwise." The answer is because they do that to any world that "Defies Causality".
    2. It's going to show how being a lantern can really evaporate your time, destroy your life, and ruin your society. All show through the eyes of a lantern on earth and "Mirroring" Lanterns on worlds gone by.
    3. Its going to establish that the guardians "Prophecies" aren't "Prophecies" but that they have tech that allows them to see the future and affect it. This may already be a thing that hardcore lanterns fans know but the ring can facilitate time travel.
    but you can't give them perfect future sight as a power. Regardless... there are so many lanterns on one planted because they guardians are expecting trouble on this very significant... and small civilization.

Rising Twilight
    Krypton.
    One word. Many Sins.

We establish the guardians tried to kill... Every. Last. Kryptonian. They had seen the future... An army of Supermen conquering every world, bending every knee, and they KEPT seeing it. No future they could come up with beat that fate. So it was decided kryptonians, and the yellow sun must never reach they judged the action based on Book of OA Law
    #5. Taking no action against anyone or anything until they are proven to be a threat against life and liberty.
    Book further shows how on almost every other Oan Controlled world. Green Lantern is the first Alien thing they encounter and it wears the face of the world its on. It shows how on ALMOST every other world Green Lantern LITERALLY TAKES
    the Position that we ascribe to SUPERMAN. Leader of its worlds most powerful beings. Despite what the Book of Oa suggests
    They are very Dissapointed that it didn't happen on earth and are equally annoyed that Hal Jordon DIDN'T do that, especially since there are kryptonians on earth leading earth heroes. Sinestro's only crime essentially was that he went to far by putting him self "Directly" on the throne. Lastly, its a secondary reason that they "SPAM" Earth with Green Lanterns. The guardians have a hope that one of them eventually does JUST THAT.
    The Lanterns find out Everything about the Guardians and it shows how each of them react to it. How many Kryptons happened through direct or indirect action. How many civilizations reacted to the lantern but starting a superhuman arms race.
    How many galactic empires stood against the guardians... and how the lanterns deal with the machinations of their masters.
    this is literally how Military and Police have to look at their governments quite often. Thats why the cosmic series has to be so well written and inclusive. There has to be some element of "Well if not the Guardians... then The Reach... if not The Reach then The OLD ONES http://dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Icthultu or something worse would be populating the galaxy. The lanterns have to decide.

Thats what I got. I'm spit-balling but... Thats like 3 years of story or more right there. You will need creative teams. You will need people who want to tell the story, and you need a compelling reason why they all stay lanterns at the end.

Duty. Greater Good. Love. or It is what it is... Reasons.

From there you have everything you need to keep an award winning comic going, and you get a good reason why we could have a "Earth Green Lanterns are close like the x-men" and are close.

Phew. Thats what I got. Thoughts?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Someone once wrote an essay on a blog analyzing a splash page of JL and talked about the different flying styles of characters who can fly.

Superman always zips from point A to B like a speeding bullet. Arms forward and every flight with purpose and determination. Since he would have grown up hiding his abilities and thus moving in secret.

Wonder Woman glides through the air gracefully like somebody who has been flying in the open air since she was a child and she takes her time to observe and enjoy every moment of it.

There were more but that's all I remember for now. There was a lot of interesting tidbits in that article and it was also fun to think about. Like, I imagine Hal positions his arms downwards like an upside down V to resemble an aeroplane. All the mystic types like Zee and Fate fly like they are being carried by wires. John Stewart is probably more of a Superman style flier while Kyle and Billy are more in the WW style of flight.
    Hawkman and Hawkgirl sometimes fly into windows, because that's just what birds do sometimes.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

What I remember from those group shots is that The Flash is running at the same speed as Batman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    What I remember from those group shots is that The Flash is running at the same speed as Batman.
    Ha, I remember the same with all those Teen Titans splash pages / group shot covers, the whole team is running, flying, teleporting in and they are all arriving at the exact same time, even though Robin and Cyborg should be lumbering in ten minutes after Kid Flash and Raven have cleared the battlefield (those two arriving a few minutes before Starfire, Changeling and Donna Troy manage to fly in).

"I have the power to teleport exactly as fast as the dude with no super-powers and a belt full of explosives can run..."

Even worse is when Batman manages to survive the same energy blast that takes Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    J'onn J'onzz is pansexual and gender fluid. The idea that a very non human looking telepathic shape changing alien is what we'd identify as a cis heterosexual man is actually ridiculous if you think about it.
    Nah. Martian Manhunter never gets fulfillment out of human women (because martian and human sex is different) but they are the closest to the shape of a female martian that he can get.