Default Justice League As A Pantheon

One of the more interesting things that Morrison did in his JLA run was to structure the JLA like it was a Greek pantheon (Superman as Zeus, Hippolyta WW as Hera, Batman as Hades, Huntress as Artemis and so on). But wait, Superman isn't Zeus and WW isn't Hera, you might ask. Or why does it have to be Greek Gods, why not another mythology? Like Norse or Hindu or Egyptian or the Orisha's or maybe a JL that's built like the Knights of the Roundtable? If so then welcome to the purpose of this thread: build a JL roster based on a pantheon of your choosing.

Zeus: Captain Marvel/Billy Batson (mostly because of the lightning symbology than anything to do with Zeus personality)

Poseidon: Aquaman

Hades: Batman

Demeter: Swamp Thing (odd choice but he fits. I considered Poison Ivy but I think Swampy is more on the heroic, pure natured side)

Hera: Talia Al Ghul (this was a tough one. But I guess she fits the motherly but still vengeful characteristic. Prior to Morrison she was more of an anti-villain and often sabotaged her father's schemes. This would be a return to form, imo)

Ares: Black Adam

Athena: Hawkwoman/Shayera (combine her JLU personality with her more science-y comic book counterpart)

Apollo: Superman (Power from the sun, will outlive his lovers)

Aphrodite: Wonder Woman (initially wanted her as Athena but Aphrodite fits her as well. Also considered Poison Ivy for this role)

Hermes: Flash (this is easy)

Artemis: Vixen (Goddess of nature, the hunt and animals and the sweet natured one you don't ever want to cross)

Hephaestus: Steel/Michael Irons (Another credit to Morrison)

Bonus:

Hecate: Zatanna

Hestia: Fire/Beatriz Da Costa (Also considered Lorraine/Firehawk but Beatriz needs more love and has previous League tenure)

Oracle: Barbara Gordon/Oracle

I like the idea, but I don't like them "representing" specific gods or whatever else. Greek Pantheon was basically a collection of gods that people thought were most important at the time. Times have changed, Greeks (if they kept their religion) would have different gods in their Pantheon now.

Same really for round table, cool idea, but its not like we need Tristan (random example) in new iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    One of the more interesting things that Morrison did in his JLA run was to structure the JLA like it was a Greek pantheon (Superman as Zeus, Hippolyta WW as Hera, Batman as Hades, Huntress as Artemis and so on). But wait, Superman isn't Zeus and WW isn't Hera, you might ask. Or why does it have to be Greek Gods, why not another mythology? Like Norse or Hindu or Egyptian or the Orisha's or maybe a JL that's built like the Knights of the Roundtable? If so then welcome to the purpose of this thread: build a JL roster based on a pantheon of your choosing.

Zeus: Captain Marvel/Billy Batson (mostly because of the lightning symbology than anything to do with Zeus personality)

Poseidon: Aquaman

Hades: Batman

Demeter: Swamp Thing (odd choice but he fits. I considered Poison Ivy but I think Swampy is more on the heroic, pure natured side)

Hera: Talia Al Ghul (this was a tough one. But I guess she fits the motherly but still vengeful characteristic. Prior to Morrison she was more of an anti-villain and often sabotaged her father's schemes. This would be a return to form, imo)

Ares: Black Adam

Athena: Hawkwoman/Shayera (combine her JLU personality with her more science-y comic book counterpart)

Apollo: Superman (Power from the sun, will outlive his lovers)

Aphrodite: Wonder Woman (initially wanted her as Athena but Aphrodite fits her as well. Also considered Poison Ivy for this role)

Hermes: Flash (this is easy)

Artemis: Vixen (Goddess of nature, the hunt and animals and the sweet natured one you don't ever want to cross)

Hephaestus: Steel/Michael Irons (Another credit to Morrison)

Bonus:

Hestia: Fire/Beatriz Da Costa (Also considered Lorraine/Firehawk but Beatriz needs more love and has previous League tenure)

Oracle: Barbara Gordon/Oracle
    My thoughts-

Not sure if I would have ranked Captain Marvel/Shazam and Black Adam in this as their power stems from several gods.

For Ares, I probably would have gone Hawkman or Hawkgirl. Shoot, even some characterizations of Wonder Woman could fit for Ares (looking at you Injustice)

I would have probably gone Superman or Black Lightning for Zeus. Superman probably fits it best, as the strongest member and leader of the team.

For Apollo, I'd have gone Green Lantern.

I am a little conflicted that you put Wonder Woman as Aphrodite. I get why you did. She's very beautiful, but considering everything else she brings to the table, I'd personally place her as Athena or Hera because I don't think Aphrodite does Diana full justice on a character level.

I guess Vixen works for Artemis, but usually, people pair her with another archer tho.

I'd lean Poison Ivy over Demeter in general, but seeing as she's not a hero I guess Swamp Thing works

Oracles weren't gods.

Was Talia Al Ghul ever part of the Justice League? Even when she wasn't a villain per se, she was still enabling her father to a degree. I wouldn't include her with the heroes.

You could have Harley Quinn or the Creeper as either Momus or Gelos.

Lastly, everyone puts Batman as Hades, but I don't love it.
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-02-2021 at 09:24 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    My thoughts-

Not sure if I would have ranked Captain Marvel/Shazam and Black Lightning in this as their power stems from several gods.
    what gods do Black Lightning's powers stem from? this is the first I'm hearing of that (outside of my own headcanons and story pitches).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    what gods do Black Lightning's powers stem from? this is the first I'm hearing of that (outside of my own headcanons and story pitches).
    sorry that's my mix up I meant Black Adam, who gets his powers from Egyptian gods

Black Lightning use to use a belt for his electric powers, and eventually he just became a meta human
    The J-man

I'll play...

Zeus - Superman
    Hera - Wondee Woman
    Poseidon - Aquaman
    Hades - Batman
    Apollo - Green Lantern
    Artemis - Vixen
    Hermes - Flash
    Demeter - Swamp Thing or Geo-Force
    Athena - Black Canary
    Ares - Hawkman
    Aphrodite - Power Girl
    Hephaestus - Cyborg or Steel or Atom
    Hestia - Firestorm
    Dionysus - Booster Gold
    Eros - Martian Manhunter

A pretty powerful team.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 11-02-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.