Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The third film finished the arc, TDK did not.
    I agree. Although I think if someone wanted to think of Batman's origin as a duology, then those two films set up Batman's world and his never-ending fight as we know it from the comics. But Nolan wanted to tell a story that had an ending. (for Bruce, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The Batman begins and The Dark Knight. Perfect Duology
    Nah, watched the trilogy over the weekend (Batmania!) and Rises is just as good as the other two. "That's a lovely lovely voice!".

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You can say it all you want but Rises was not a good movie when compared to Begins and TDK. The quality fell off a damn cliff. Tom Hardy as Bane is still just as much a joke today as Mister Freeze from the old movies, and that is pretty bad. Nolan got to much up his own ass trying to be clever and forgot to actually tell a good story that made sense.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I have to side with:

The Godfather
    The Terminator

Also probably: Ghostbusters I & II (and yes, I love both, II is quite underrated)

Back to the Future Part III was great, so definitely not that series.

I'll leave in Godfather, but I do think Godfather III and/or Coda is better than many many film sequels. III/Coda could have worked (even without Michael vs Tom Hagen). It was an interesting exploration into Michael's (Catholic) guilt and the (Catholic) punishment he was bound to have for his (Catholic) sins. I find III/Coda a good bit underrated.
    Probably the best argument for Godfather I & II is not that III/Coda is bad, but that I & II are on such a rare height of heights.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-03-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

The Christopher Reeeve Superman films should have ended after part 2, even with the controversy surrounding Richard Donner's firing and Richard Lester having to complete Superman II it still turned out a perfect duology.

Even the Salkinds were left not knwoing what else to do with Superman III until one night they saw Richard Pryor on Johnny Carson and the rest is history.

One thing Poltergeist III kind of screws up is also that the ghosts (or at least Kane) kill at least two people-whereas the first two films had no (living) body count. Even the attacks on Robbie (The tree, clown and in II the braces) were mainly meant as a distraction for them to grab Carol Anne, and the more malevolent scares and illusions (such as the face melting scene) were to prevent the rescue of Carol Anne.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Superman 3 did give us a great lana lang and still like the junkyard fight so it's not all bad.

Did anyone say shrek yet? Should have ended with shrek 2.

Home Alone 3 may be an example of a film that shouldn't be done. They recognized Macaulay Culkin had aged too much and it would stretch credibility to have his character run into the burglars a third time
    Then they made home alone 4 and 5 where he fights the crooks again!

Agreed about The Mummy and Home Alone.

If we count Burton and Schumacher movies as a single franchise, then Batman Forever should definitely count.

Extraordinary Member

Terminator is the big one. 3 taken as it's own film isn't bad, but any continuation after 2 hurts the franchise.

Jaws. The first was a masterpiece. The second wasn't a masterpiece but was still a fine film. The 3rd and fourth movies were disasters.

Funny thing is some of the marketing for Jaws: The Revenge described as "The third film in the trilogy" and the film pretty much ignores 3D, apart from Michael being a scientist.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Terminator is the big one. 3 taken as it's own film isn't bad, but any continuation after 2 hurts the franchise.
    Which I'm 180 degrees opposite. Any Terminator film that doesn't get past Judgement Day isn't honoring the promise of the Future, as bad as it is, where Kyle Reese comes back.
    T3 if for no other plot point was daring to do just that. I recall sitting in the theater watching those missles zig zag across the sky and thinking, "Damn, they really did it, they really did it"
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Rush Hour
    Scary movies( I recall the first two and then rest all blend together.)
    I agree with TDK. I really liked 1 and loved 2. I do not like rises at all.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing is some of the marketing for Jaws: The Revenge described as "The third film in the trilogy" and the film pretty much ignores 3D, apart from Michael being a scientist.
    I was really glad when the Jaws: The Revenge original US ending (the bloody boat stabbing of the shark) finally ended up an extra on the 2016 bluray. Jaws: The Revenge is like a guilty pleasure for me, for some reason I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMDmJcmTOIY
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Blade 1 and 2 ,BladeTrinity was horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Rush Hour
    Scary movies( I recall the first two and then rest all blend together.)
    I agree with TDK. I really liked 1 and loved 2. I do not like rises at all.
    Wasn't the third Rush hour more of a direct sequel to the first? (With the same girl getting kidnapped?) I haven't seen the whole series though.