Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, do they?

Are those actors currently under contract to continue those roles outside of Netflix?

If they aren't, and Marvel had to reach new contracts with them, it may not be worth it to Marvel (Marvel Studios / Marvel TV / f#@%in' Mickey Mouse / whoever).
    They were. The contracts already expired.

This broing me a question to my head? How much relevant is an actor to a character? It is the actor so relevant to the character than only one spefici actor can be that character?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This broing me a question to my head? How much relevant is an actor to a character? It is the actor so relevant to the character than only one spefici actor can be that character?
    That depends on the fan. Some fans get attached, others could let it go.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-03-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Depends on the series, too. If the work is driven as a franchise with multiple series and sequels, then yes, characters may be recasted and series may be rebooted as needed. But if the series is a standalone thing, not so much. Can you imagine anyone but Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy?

Extraordinary Member

Jessica Henwick Chose Matrix Over Shang-Chi To Hopefully Play Colleen Wing Again

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I heard that Feige is not a fan of the Netflix shows and may not include them in the MCU. Does anyone know if this is true? I heard rumors of a Daredevil reboot.
    Daredevil and Kingpin were in NWH and Hawkeye respectively. D'onofrio said he considers it a continuation of his character from the Netflix version.

Jessica Henwick was offered the role of Xialing but it came with the caveat that it would decanonize IF so she didn't take it. Look up her recent interview with Simu Liu.

Mahershala Ali is straight up playing a different character altogether.

Truth be told, it's very ambiguous right now. I heard there is also a lot of legal troubles behind the scenes as well. We'll have to wait a while before finding out what their plans are.

Though, from a practical standpoint it might be a good idea to keep the shows canon. Why go through the hassle of telling their backstories again? Reference events from the show but don't make it mandatory to watch those shows to understand the present day stories the characters are in.

No. But at the same time, why wait for lightning to strike twice? If there is someone who is good, proven themselves and willing to come back then ignoring them is just like leaving money on the table.

The Netflix shows are easier to reconcile with the MCU than Agents of Shield. None of the threats are Avengers level.

The only one I'd wanna reboot is Iron Fist but his problem aren't really in his origin. It's no one's ever figured what to do with him as a character beyond hanging out with Luke Cage.

I'd retire the Punisher as he doesn't work in the family friendly pg 13 MCU.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The way I am taking it is it is the same actors playing the same roles, but none of the Netflix stuff is cannon. It is basically a soft reboot taking what really worked from the shows (the actors) and ditching the rest. I do hope they still use Mike Colter as Luke Cage in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The way I am taking it is it is the same actors playing the same roles, but none of the Netflix stuff is cannon. It is basically a soft reboot taking what really worked from the shows (the actors) and ditching the rest. I do hope they still use Mike Colter as Luke Cage in some way.
    Unless they eventually say the Netflix stuff is canon, I just say that they take place in one of the branches in the sacred timeline that branched off some time after Avengers. Hence why things like Daredevil references the Battle of New York and why the same actors play Matt Murdock and Fisk.

Extraordinary Member

Some actors they will take from the netflix mcu into the main mcu and other actors they will not.
    For example they could or may take the jesssica jones actress but none of her parents and could show different ones.
    Anyway i have funny feeling luke cage and ironfist and even jessica jones(less so) will be recast if they show up in the main mcu universe.
    So some of will a netflix stuff mcu will be asoft reboot and netflix mcu will be a hard reboot.
    Most of it will be hard reboot i think.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-25-2021 at 07:06 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

They are until they aren't similar to canon in comics.

Agents of SHIELD was part of the MCU until it wasn't.

There was already a Bobbi Morse before in the MCU until Hawkeye made it not so.

I feel like the one that will be removed from the MCU are the Inhumans and then Iron Fist

Originally all the tv and streaming stuff was supposed to be MCU canon. Despite the problems with different studios making the products, different contracts, different filming schedules, and the fact that lots of movie goers never watched the tv shows and that'd crimp viewer awareness, etc., the films did make some sly references to SHIELD, and of course all the shows referenced the films, though often in equally subtle ways.

But now?

Agent Carter is officially part of the main MCU/sacred timeline. And I think that's it.

Agents of SHIELD is, I think, officially a variant timeline.

I don't think Marvel Studios will ever reference or mention Inhumans, Cloak and Dagger, or the Runaways. Those shows might as well not exist as far as the MCU is concerned.

Netflix, I'm not sure on. I lean towards variant timeline though, for a couple reasons; 1) the shows were far too mature to fit within the framework of the Disney/Marvel stuff. 2) Ali is playing Blade even though he had a role in Luke Cage. That's not a big factor though, as Gemma Chan was in both Captain Marvel and Eternals so Marvel's old rule of "one role per actor" doesn't seem as strict as it once was. 3) The shows likely covered material and/or put characters in places Marvel wouldn't want them (see Iron Fist's ending), resulting in a case-by-case rebooting.

But that said, I don't think Fiege has said one way or another where Netflix currently stands. It was supposed to be canon once, and might still be. Far as I know, nothing in Netflix contradicts anything from the films or vice versa. But I'd bet on the shows being a variant timeline now, that way Fiege can keep what he wants, like some actors or story beats, but ignore anything he doesn't want to use.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think they're not saying anything and being vague so they don't lock themselves in and are unable to change course if they change their minds. I think they're also taking a wait and see approach when integrating these characters into their current shows and movies.

Right now you could argue that the shows aren't canon or you could argue that the shows are canon just not references and you wouldn't be wrong either way.

I just want to see more of Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk and Cox's Daredevil. Seeing Coulson in the MCU again, even from a variant timeline would be nice too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't think Marvel Studios will ever reference or mention Inhumans, Cloak and Dagger, or the Runaways. Those shows might as well not exist as far as the MCU is concerned.
    Helstrom as well.