Amazing Member

Default I Own Exactly 3,333 Marvel Comics (Digitally)

I finally took the time to tally up the comics I've been buying (90% of them when they're on sale) through Comixology over the past 10 years and its a lot more than I thought it'd be. I have them all on my Kindle Fire 10 (with a 256GB memory card) and I still have nearly 100GB left. Its mainly Amazing Spider-Man and 90's era X-Titles. How many digital comics do the rest of you currently own? I'm genuinely curious if there's others like me or if I'm just a weirdo, lol.

All-New Member

Well, it appears not a lot of folks do the same. I'm a 55 year old dude who just got back into collecting after pulling a box of comics out of storage. I put them away 40 years ago when I went to college and haven't looked at them since. Initially I took them out because I heard comics were going up in value, but after pulling them down I realized I didn't want to sell any, but rather add to my collection by filling in some of the series I has that were missing a few like Nova 2,3,7, and 15. Anyways, I was wondering if Digital Versions were available today, and clearly they are. Where does one buy a digital version? Can you buy old comics as well? It would be most interesting to buy a few of the biggies just to read. Do you have a collection of hard cover comics as well or just the digital ones?

Anyways, thanks for sharing your story!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
    Well, it appears not a lot of folks do the same. I'm a 55 year old dude who just got back into collecting after pulling a box of comics out of storage. I put them away 40 years ago when I went to college and haven't looked at them since. Initially I took them out because I heard comics were going up in value, but after pulling them down I realized I didn't want to sell any, but rather add to my collection by filling in some of the series I has that were missing a few like Nova 2,3,7, and 15. Anyways, I was wondering if Digital Versions were available today, and clearly they are. Where does one buy a digital version? Can you buy old comics as well? It would be most interesting to buy a few of the biggies just to read. Do you have a collection of hard cover comics as well or just the digital ones?

Anyways, thanks for sharing your story!
    You can buy comics through Comixology. Things are a bit in flux right now. Marvel just switched from long time distributor Diamond Distributors to Penguin Random House. I also reccommend subscribing to Marvel Unlimited where you get access to over 28,000 comics going all the way back to the Golden Age Captain America and Sub-Mariner.

My father bought comics for us when we were small and I would guess there may be a 1,000 - 2,000 that my brother has in long boxes in his basement. I have a small collection of things I've bought since the mid 1990s. I gave up the idea of collecting the whole line long ago. There are too many redundant titles. But at least Marvel isn't quite as bad as DC Comics which IMO should change their name to Batman & Friends Comics.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-31-2021 at 10:30 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You can buy comics through Comixology. Things are a bit in flux right now. Marvel just switched from long time distributor Diamond Distributors to Penguin Random House. I also reccommend subscribing to Marvel Unlimited where you get access to over 28,000 comicss going all the way back to the Golden Age Captain America and Sub-Mariner.

My father bought comics for us when we were small and I would guess there may be a 1,000 - 2,000 that my brother has in long boxes in his basement. I have a small collection of things I've bought since the mid 1990s. I gave up the idea of collecting the whole line long ago. There are too many redundant titles. But at least Marvel isn't quite as bad as DC Comics which IMO should change their name to Batman & Friends Comics.
    Thanks for the info! So I took a look and tried Comixology Unlimiited trial. Question: Are there any sites that show the full issue including ads? Believe it or not I find some of the advertising in my old comics to be as much interest as the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
    Thanks for the info! So I took a look and tried Comixology Unlimiited trial. Question: Are there any sites that show the full issue including ads? Believe it or not I find some of the advertising in my old comics to be as much interest as the story.
    No. All the new services just give you the story without ads. But if you are willing to go a bit old school and look for an ebay auction or go to Amazon, there was a company that has scans of the old comics on a DVD. They include the ads and the letters pages. I have the one that has 44 years of the Fantastic Four. Then the digital age arrived and they stopped making them.

Here is a listing on Amazon for the one I have. I also have a smaller one of Avengers issues from a later era but you can see a link to the 44 years of Avengers Comics on that page. When I bought my FF disc new, it was only about $45 back then.

Here is the link to GIT corp. I see they do have a small catalog of products that can be purchased for DVD or on a USB drive.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-31-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I have only about 900 comics digitally now. If this technology had existed back when I was a kid -- back when you could buy 2 comics, a bag of chips and a soda for less than a dollar -- I would probably own every Marvel comic ever published between 1960 and 1990, and a bunch of DC comics as well.

I'm not sure how many digital copies I have but it's probably not a lot since the current stuff is hit or miss for me. Lately there may be only 3 or 4 titles I get per month. I do redeem the digital codes.

I am much more invested in the TPB's and the Masterworks series. I have all the Stan Lee & Jack Kirby Masterworks volumes and beyond...about 14 volumes in all. I also have the Torch's collected solo stories from Strange tales in two volumes of Masterworks, 5 Masterworks volumes of the Silver Age Sub-Mariner series, Stan Lee's Silver Surfer adn one volume of Ditko's Dr. Strange in the Masterworks I have the John Byrne FF run in volumes of the Visionaries series of TPBs plus a George Perez one. I have one of the second Jonathan Hickman Omnibus and may get the new printing of volume 1. Meantime, I have a couple of TPBs from his FF run. I various collected trades like Avengers Children's Crusade, a Supervillians Unite TPB that has the SVTU series and other Doom comics, the 2 TPBs of Cantwell's Doctor Doom series, A volume of JMS's Thor, Emperor Doom. I'm sure I'm missing some other TPBs.

My didgital and physical collection is pretty big. for digital I got a lot of the DVD collections like 40 years of Spiderman, Xmen, Fantastic Four, Avengers, there were some Star Trek Comic Discs as well I found at a yard sale. A friend of mine also gave me a hard drive with a huge amount of Golden Age DC 40s comics and some Silver Age DC 50's comics. I didnt ask where they came from. Im going with the fell off a truck line. My friend Jay also scanned a ton of his comics to his pc over the years and that has given me even more digital comics.

Physical I would say I have around 600 or so single issues. I found a lot in the bargin bins and used My Comic Shop for online books. West Coast Avengers was the first run I ever finished collecting

I also read a crap ton of Marvel Unlimited but that is not really my collection. just a way to read a ton of stuff.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-01-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.