Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Give him a costume with the cowl from Pre-Flahspoint, determine what code name he should be using (I still like Red Robin with the cowl, but Rook could work just as well), and then give him a full miniseries written by Fabian Nicieza, given a charge to take everything good or potential-filled with the character from the last few years and the freedom to ignore other stuff (New 52 Teen Titans - except for maybe Bunker), and let him write the character.
    I agree that they should let Tim wear the cowl again. I know some hate it because it was too Batman but I feel the costume gave him a distinct look from his days as Robin

I'd gladly take his New 52 costume back. Loved the wing/cape combo. Thought that as a pretty unique way of setting him apart from the other Robins besides just giving him a cowl and a bo staff.

Though either "Red Robin" option is better than what he's got going on now. Calling himself Red Robin but still wearing what is clearly a Robin costume.

Make him Bronze Bird with a slightly altered New52 costume (color mainly), have him grow older than 16, and a few other things that's already been listed to make him different from the other kids that have been Robin. And just suddenly breaking it off with Steph, especially without telling her anything, was a dick move. No matter how you slice it. And do SOMETHING to make people like me actually give a crap about him, because right now, I don't even care if he just vanishes from DC Comics without an explanation, I'm that indifferent to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'd gladly take his New 52 costume back. Loved the wing/cape combo. Thought that as a pretty unique way of setting him apart from the other Robins besides just giving him a cowl and a bo staff.

Though either "Red Robin" option is better than what he's got going on now. Calling himself Red Robin but still wearing what is clearly a Robin costume.
    I feel like this is the kind of costume where you either like it or you don't.

The Red Robin wings do make him stand out among the crowd of sidekicks.
    I'd love to see him get a mini, then a new ongoing. Let him be a regular in a Titans or Young Justice book. A World's Finest mini with Kon would be sweet.
    Work on his relationship with Bernard, put some care into building a friendship with Steph. If Kon realized he was in love with Tim and stole him from Bernard that would be what I really want, but I'm not expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    The Red Robin wings do make him stand out among the crowd of sidekicks.
    I'd love to see him get a mini, then a new ongoing. Let him be a regular in a Titans or Young Justice book. A World's Finest mini with Kon would be sweet.
    Work on his relationship with Bernard, put some care into building a friendship with Steph. If Kon realized he was in love with Tim and stole him from Bernard that would be what I really want, but I'm not expecting it.
    I wonder what all the Kon fanfic shippers would do if they had Tim and Jon Kent hook up in the actual comic books?

Astonishing Member

Writers that understand making an engaging character is not about trying to tell us how awesome that character is.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Tim needs his own Scott Lobdell, i. e., a writer that will take the time to steer Tim in his own direction, give him development, etc. Similar to his Red Robin series, but as not a Robin of any sort. Especially if it means being isolated from the other Bats for the time being (outside of cameos).

Tim had Scott Lobdell. That’s not what he needs. None of the Robins need a writer like Scott Lobdell. With Jason there came a point where it stopped being about Jason and his development, and became about feeding Lobdell steady work. Driving away most of his general audience. Same thing happen with Dick and Jurgens. These are the worst creative environments that incentivizes tired old formulas and circular writing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-01-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Tim needs his own "Grayson" series. It's not necessarily a spy series but he needs to get out of Gotham and be more than another Robin.

I'll settle for him going to college. You could workshop the new ID there.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-01-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Tim had Scott Lobdell. That’s not what he needs. None of the Robins need a writer like Scott Lobdell. With Jason there came a point where it stopped being about Jason and his development, and became about feeding Lobdell steady work. Driving away most of his general audience. Same thing happen with Dick and Jurgens. These are the worst creative environments that incentivizes tired old formulas and circular writing.
    I didn't mean literally have Scott Lobdell on him, but a writer who sees a way forward for Tim, so he can develop on his own. Like become a university student by day and vigilante by night. That sort of thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I feel like this is the kind of costume where you either like it or you don't.
    Frontier, I agree...and I liked the costume.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder what all the Kon fanfic shippers would do if they had Tim and Jon Kent hook up in the actual comic books?
    I'd be really conflicted. Male couples in comics are pretty rare, so I'd try not to be unhappy about it. The relationship would need to be compelling. But I think I'd always be a little disappointed to see Tim with Jon after wanting TimxKon for 15+ years. It's just hard to get over getting a near miss like that.
    Ultimately I think people's reactions would depend on how well done it was. Right now I don't think they even know each other so just throwing them together isn't going to have the feeling of a big payoff of emotional investment.

All I want for the character is a good writer with a good idea for a new direction that'll get Tim into his own space with his own identity and niche. He needs his Nightwing moment, his Red Hood.

I've suggested making him a pulp flavored detective, closer to Doc Savage or Dick Tracy than Batman. At least until a writer finds that Nightwing moment for him.

I've seen suggestions for making Tim the first mage in the Batclan, and the idea of Tim learning some urban magic has an appeal to it (and think of the potential teachers; Traci13, Empress, Zack Zatanna....).

I've seen suggestions for Tim going a little off the deep end and leaning towards the more...authoritarian....versions we've seen. Not the full blown evil/crazy of some of the future Tims, but a more manageable "working with the Colony" or "Kingdom Come Bruce" level of crazy. More Machiavellian than Jason, but with a vaguely similar refusal to play by Bruce's narrow code. I could get down with that.

Personally, I'd rather not see him in college. Feels a little too expected and obvious and I really question whether he'd actually gain much from it. Someone once suggested having him start a PI firm with Conner and I really liked that idea.

I'd rather he not just be bi or gay. Seems kinda tepid at this point I guess? Make him sapiosexual (I think that's the term); attracted to intelligence. That'd be something different, and very fitting for who he is. Keep this new potential boyfriend around for a while, see where it goes, see how things unfold and change with Steph. Don't turn it into a gimmick, don't rush things, let the situation evolve and develop naturally. Respectfully.

And whatever he ends up doing I'd like to see more gadgets and tech than raw physical ability. Tim was always at his best when he was a little more "Ted Kord" and a little less "Dick Grayson." Less acrobatics and more grapple lines, less martial arts and more stun guns, etc.

Just want the poor kid to get some TLC, moved into a new identity and role he can call his own. Not too particular about the details.

Oh, and written like he's 19-21. That's the age he felt like when the New52 hit and it feels weird, with DC treating him like he's sixteen again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This seemed the least "Robin-y" costume of the ones he has worn and one I do not mind at all. It would also be fairly easy to change some of the colors for a newer identity. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All I want for the character is a good writer with a good idea for a new direction that'll get Tim into his own space with his own identity and niche. He needs his Nightwing moment, his Red Hood.

I've suggested making him a pulp flavored detective, closer to Doc Savage or Dick Tracy than Batman. At least until a writer finds that Nightwing moment for him.

I've seen suggestions for making Tim the first mage in the Batclan, and the idea of Tim learning some urban magic has an appeal to it (and think of the potential teachers; Traci13, Empress, Zack Zatanna....).

I've seen suggestions for Tim going a little off the deep end and leaning towards the more...authoritarian....versions we've seen. Not the full blown evil/crazy of some of the future Tims, but a more manageable "working with the Colony" or "Kingdom Come Bruce" level of crazy. More Machiavellian than Jason, but with a vaguely similar refusal to play by Bruce's narrow code. I could get down with that.

Personally, I'd rather not see him in college. Feels a little too expected and obvious and I really question whether he'd actually gain much from it. Someone once suggested having him start a PI firm with Conner and I really liked that idea.

I'd rather he not just be bi or gay. Seems kinda tepid at this point I guess? Make him sapiosexual (I think that's the term); attracted to intelligence. That'd be something different, and very fitting for who he is. Keep this new potential boyfriend around for a while, see where it goes, see how things unfold and change with Steph. Don't turn it into a gimmick, don't rush things, let the situation evolve and develop naturally. Respectfully.

And whatever he ends up doing I'd like to see more gadgets and tech than raw physical ability. Tim was always at his best when he was a little more "Ted Kord" and a little less "Dick Grayson." Less acrobatics and more grapple lines, less martial arts and more stun guns, etc.

Just want the poor kid to get some TLC, moved into a new identity and role he can call his own. Not too particular about the details.

Oh, and written like he's 19-21. That's the age he felt like when the New52 hit and it feels weird, with DC treating him like he's sixteen again.
    THIS. (Just as an aside that I dont recall if it's been mentioned, at one point Dixon's intention was for Tim to become the new Blue Beetle, but DC wanted to go in a different direction for BB. I too love the idea of Tim becoming a big of a pulp flavored detective, but maybe with a techy bent...modern day Spirit meets Bond type character. I also dont mind Tim keeping with the legacy motif, a new Midnight or bringing the Grey Ghost into actual continuity (he's never made it there has he?)
    I just want more thought into Tim than he was given for Drake and that very bland costume. Tim's character has tons of potential, he just needs an editor and writer to recognize and utilize it.