Incredible Member

Default Valkyrie of the Defenders.

Valkyrie was long my favorite Defender.

That said, I’ve read stories of these other new Valkyries but still always prefer the Valkyrie / Barbara Norris version.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

That said, I’ve read stories of these other new Valkyries but still always prefer the Valkyrie / Barbara Norris version.
    Me too! I miss the real Val!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I actually enjoy Jane and Rüna. I doubt we'll see OG Val back fully until Jane steals her next mantle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

I can't with all of these Valkyries come lately. Maybe if the classic was still around and in charge, but until then -- nope.

I’m all about Brunhilde and Annabelle Riggs.

Best partnership since Genis and Rick Jones. So much potential for a series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’m all about Brunnhilde and Annabelle Riggs.
    Oh yes, this was easily my favorite Valkyrie, and I wish Fearless Defenders had gotten to go on for a longer run.

Speaking about the original Valkyrie, what ever happened to her ex-husband Jack Norris? Did he just disappear into limbo or did he make post-Defenders appearances. (It could have happened -- he was an agent of SHIELD at one point!)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Speaking about the original Valkyrie, what ever happened to her ex-husband Jack Norris? Did he just disappear into limbo or did he make post-Defenders appearances. (It could have happened -- he was an agent of SHIELD at one point!)
    Google tells me his last appearance was in THUNDERBOLTS V1 issue 44…:

Not sure if anyone has a sighting after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Good question. I have wondered about Jack as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Google tells me his last appearance was in THUNDERBOLTS V1 issue 44…:

Not sure if anyone has a sighting after that.
    Huh, I missed this appearance. Didn't recognize old Jack with the blond hair and beard.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I like how some conveniently forget that the valkyries have always been a plural concept -- meaning many more than just one -- but some folks are dead set on the notion that their favorite valkyrie should be the only valkyrie.

One of my best friends certainly still feels that way, even though we've had debates on the matter going back 30 years. Needless to say, the recent depiction of the talented and lovely Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie in the MCU really set him off. And I can't stop sending him images of the character just to piss him off. Think I'll send him one today.

While I do like Barbara Norris, if for no other reason she was the first Valkyrie that I was introduced to, I'm pretty open if Marvel wants to introduce other Valkyries. Odin didn't have just one, or even one favorite Chooser of the Slain. My beef, if anything, is more with Marvel's maniacal obsession with the primacy of the Nordic mythos. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Barbara was the first Valkyrie I ever knew about. It was her that drove me to discover more about Norse mythology (I was fairly well engrossed in Greek mythology from an early age...thank you Lynda Carter). I have loved Brunhilde from all the way back in the Defenders and was devastated when Marvel killed her off. That being said I really do actually like Jane as a Valkyrie. I would love to see a book with both Brunhilde and Jane as the main characters.

Jane is my favorite and the best for me Loved her series
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person wanting to see Samantha Parington return as Valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I actually enjoy Jane and Rüna. I doubt we'll see OG Val back fully until Jane steals her next mantle.
    Spoiler Alert! Jane is the new Iron Fist don't tell anyone. After that she is going to be the new Jack Of Hearts.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest