Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    As a Gen-Xer, I can't imagine Garfield with any voice other than Lorenzo Music's.
    What about Bill Murray?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What about Bill Murray?
    There's a blast from the past...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's a blast from the past...
    Even he seems to regret that, from what I've heard.

But I don't really see the big hubbub here. I'm not at all a fan of Hollywood corporations ruining beloved IPs but it's not like Garfield is some great IP anyway. It's one of those things people will pretend was great if the new one sucks (or doesn't), like Space Jam.

Incredible Member

But I don't really see the big hubbub here. I'm not at all a fan of Hollywood corporations ruining beloved IPs but it's not like Garfield is some great IP anyway. It's one of those things people will pretend was great if the new one sucks (or doesn't), like Space Jam.
    Don't know if it's true but supposedly Bill Murray took the Garfield role as he heard it was written by Joel Cohen who Murray mistook for Joel Coen of the Coen brothers, so yeah being off by one letter in the name and Murray didn't know until later that it wasn't one of the Coen brothers.

I liked both Space Jam movies...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Don't know if it's true but supposedly Bill Murray took the Garfield role as he heard it was written by Joel Cohen who Murray mistook for Joel Coen of the Coen brothers, so yeah being off by one letter in the name and Murray didn't know until later that it wasn't one of the Coen brothers.
    I heard he mistook that. Idk why he returned to the sequel.

I liked both Space Jam movies...
    That's perfectly fine. I can't say I feel the same. But my point is people need to stop pretending the old versions of things were always great just because the new ones aren't (or at least they think the newer versions aren't). It's like with the Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Mario Bros etc. adaptations. They weren't great before so why act like it just because you don't like the current versions?

That's perfectly fine. I can't say I feel the same. But my point is people need to stop pretending the old versions of things were always great just because the new ones aren't (or at least they think the newer versions aren't). It's like with the Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Mario Bros etc. adaptations. They weren't great before so why act like it just because you don't like the current versions?
    I can see why people would prefer the OG!MK to the new MK in certain respects. Same with the Turtles.

Ultimate Member

I can see why people would prefer the OG!MK to the new MK in certain respects. Same with the Turtles.
    I can understand why some would prefer those as well. But I wouldn't call any versions of those movies 'good,' as much as I can describe a good movie. The old MK had dodgy effects, acting, and script. And Idk if any version of Turtles is really any good (that may be personal bias though).

I can understand why some would prefer those as well. But I wouldn't call any versions of those movies 'good,' as much as I can describe a good movie. The old MK had dodgy effects, acting, and script. And Idk if any version of Turtles is really any good (that may be personal bias though).
    I thought the first Turtles film was pretty solid, but I'm a fan of the franchise.

Ultimate Member

I thought the first Turtles film was pretty solid, but I'm a fan of the franchise.
    Ok, well, maybe it's just me but I've never gotten the appeal of TMNT as a franchise. It's like it's trying to be a superhero series but then it isn't. But, personal dislikes aside, I can't say any of those films were good, although it's been a while since I've seen them so my recollection isn't ideal

Stuff like Space Jam I clearly remember enough to know it wasn't a good movie back then. Same with a lot of franchises.

Ok, well, maybe it's just me but I've never gotten the appeal of TMNT as a franchise. It's like it's trying to be a superhero series but then it isn't. But, personal dislikes aside, I can't say any of those films were good, although it's been a while since I've seen them so my recollection isn't ideal

Stuff like Space Jam I clearly remember enough to know it wasn't a good movie back then. Same with a lot of franchises.
    TMNT is a melting pot .

I think it's a fun movie. I don't think there's really a need to quantify it as "good" because at the end of the day I think it was good for what it was trying to be.

I heard he mistook that. Idk why he returned to the sequel.

There is no pretending. Just because something wasn't perfect doesn't mean it can't have enough good aspects to balance it out. You may not like the previous stuff but it doesn't mean other people didn't nor does it mean they have to like the new ones. Believe it or not, it is possible for older movies or shows to be better made than new ones in some regards. They don't have to be flawless for people to have enjoyed them.

Ultimate Member

TMNT is a melting pot .

I think it's a fun movie. I don't think there's really a need to quantify it as "good" because at the end of the day I think it was good for what it was trying to be.
    Ok, well, I've personally never found them that entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is no pretending. Just because something wasn't perfect doesn't mean it can't have enough good aspects to balance it out. You may not like the previous stuff but it doesn't mean other people didn't nor does it mean they have to like the new ones. Believe it or not, it is possible for older movies or shows to be better made than new ones in some regards. They don't have to be flawless for people to have enjoyed them.
    Yeah I'm quite aware of that. But something new sucking doesn't mean the old version didn't. I just don't blinded by nostalgia

So Garfield now hates Mondays and liberals?

Ok, well, I've personally never found them that entertaining

Yeah I'm quite aware of that. But something new sucking doesn't mean the old version didn't. I just don't blinded by nostalgia
    And just because you don't like something doesn't mean those that do are blinded by nostalgia. Things aren't always so black and white.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-04-2021 at 07:54 PM.