Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've seen Demon Slayer, Black Widow, Shang Chi, No Time To Die and Summer of Soul.

I probably enjoyed Shang Chi the most.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

I don't know about seen in a cinema...but my top ten for 2021 right now...

1. The Green Knight
    2. Pig
    3. No Sudden Move
    4. Many Saints of Newark
    5. Dune
    6. Censor
    7. The Kid Detective
    8. The Stylist
    9. The Suicide Squad
    10. Nobody

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Godzilla vs Kong
    Mortal Kombat
    Venom 2: Let there be Carnage

They all had their moments but overall I can't recommend any of these.

Raya and the Last Dragon
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Candyman. I saw Godzilla Vs Kong on HBO Max only cuz the theaters were still not open, but would've been awesome if I was able to see it in a theater.

Citizen Kane (Fathom Events re-release).

Dune has been replaced tonight with Ghostbusters: Afterlife!

Stick around ... it has TWO post credit scenes. The first is a fun nod to the OG and the latter is a sequel stinger.

I really loved Dune but this ... this is it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

After this uneven year where Dutch movie theatres were closed for much of the first 6 months and have closed yet again 2 weeks ago, I've come to a top 10 of favourite movies I've seen all year, some of which had their premiere in 2020.

10. Mortal Kombat- perhaps due to lowered expectations and a lukewarm reception, I ended up having a surprisingly good time with this interpretation of MK. I thought most of the cast were charming and good fits for the characters, with personal favourites of mine being Kung Lao and Sub Zero. I liked Cole and the only real drawback was probably the lack of an actual tournament taking place.
    9. Sweat- an interesting take on the role social media plays in the life of a Polish exercise vlogger
    8. The French Dispatch- Wes Anderson's latest with a star-studded cast is funny and visually pleasing
    7. Supernova- Stanley Tucci and Colin Firth shine in this drama about a middle-aged couple having to deal with the Alzheimer's of one partner
    6. Benedetta- Paul Verhoeven plays up the shock value quite effectively in the story of a lesbian nun who receives visions from Jesus
    5. Un monde- an over-the-shoulder look at the harsh reality of bullying on a primary school schoolyard in Belgium
    4. Nomadland- more than worthy winner of the Oscar for Best Feature Film, with Frances McDormand as a self-styled nomad who chooses the uncertain life on the road by van in the Midwest
    3. Judas & The Black Messiah- the story of how William O'Neal infiltrated the Black Panther Party's Illinois chapter headed by Fred Hampton
    2. Blackbird- Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet as mother and daughter in a story on terminal illness, assisted dying, and unresolved family tensions
    1. The Suicide Squad- we cheer for the bad guys properly now, as James Gunn offers so much more than just graphic violence in a super-anti-hero flick that's funny, smart, touching, and an all-around zany rollercoaster with great special effects and a tightly-paced story
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Judas and the Black Messiah, which I saw last February when theaters had partially reopen in my area. I also had a really great time with Last Night in Soho.

Retired

It's too bad I couldn't see PIG in a theatre and instead saw it at home. If I had seen it on the big screen, then it would be at the top of my list.

Incredible Member

Spider-Man No Way Home (favorite so far) and these are the only other movies I saw in theaters in 2021

Transformers The Movie (re-release)
    Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago Directors Cut
    Ghostbusters Afterlife

Shang-Chi or Eternals.

As i was affraid Dune is all style, no substance. So, well, Spider-man i guess.

Astonishing Member

1. Eternals
    2. The Suicide Squad
    3. The Matrix: Revolutions
    4. Spider Man NWH
    5. Zack Snyder's Justice League
    6. Mortal Kombat
    7. Black Widow
    8. Shang Chi
    9. Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
    10. Ecanto

I actually feel like it was a pretty strong year for movies.

I’m split between Dune and No Way Home. Dune for the film itself, NWH for making me forget about the pandemic due to the crowd reactions and fan service (ironic as Covid was probably lingering with every shout and scream). Dune would be film of the year for me.

For something outside of my sci fi/comic book bias, the Card Counter would be my shout!