Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I love that the comic publishing model has collapsed so much by now that resetting the numbering is now the only guaranteed way they know how to sell more books (which obviously suggests that the market is almost entirely middle-aged collectors and speculators and the actual kids are off reading Manga).
    them waifus be hitting though

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I love that the comic publishing model has collapsed so much by now that resetting the numbering is now the only guaranteed way they know how to sell more books (which obviously suggests that the market is almost entirely middle-aged collectors and speculators and the actual kids are off reading Manga).
    Kids today don’t read. At all. So the publishing division has become a big writers lab for other media, and the constant re-numberings and relaunches are more about throwing $#!t up against the wall to see what sticks in terms of what they might want to adapt to Disney+, film or even video games.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    A relaunch would mostly just be the number 1 inflation, combined with a stark decrease afterwards to previous low sales. The very practice people had been complaining about for years by now.

And if the series retains the same writer who didn't manage to sell it well, a relaunch under the same will just delay the unavoidable, all while creating further confusion because of the constantly resetting numbers.

If anything a new writer who knows how to pull in readers again and good artist are what can safe a title, even if it keeps the old numbering. If they are allready comitted to continue even with weak sales and the current numbering, they might aswell do so with better talent and finaly have a comic again where the sales curve shows some diversity, rather than just being a straight curve down.

I missed the good old days of X-Men when they don't need to renumber to #1 just to boost sales. Look at Chris Claremont's run which can go until #280.

What is important are the caliber of the writers and the artists. These constant renumbering is very confusing for collectors. We lose track of which volume a certain issue was published when we want to search for it in the future.

The numerous mini-series of Trials of Magneto #1, Inferno #1 are also quite confusing if new readers want to read back past issues in the future. They should have put these in the regular X-titles and not create new titles and new number ones all the time.
    Last edited by ericng; 11-04-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Kids today don’t read. At all. So the publishing division has become a big writers lab for other media, and the constant re-numberings and relaunches are more about throwing $#!t up against the wall to see what sticks in terms of what they might want to adapt to Disney+, film or even video games.
    Kids today absolutely do read. Manga sales are at an all time global high right now and Naver Webtoon (a purely book site) has about 100 million users, a month. and I remember a study showing over 50% of that userbase is under 30 in 2020.

Reading is still a thing.

Reading western comics isn't

Fair enough I guess. I don’t know any that read. Let me put it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Kids today absolutely do read. Manga sales are at an all time global high right now and Naver Webtoon (a purely book site) has about 100 million users, a month. and I remember a study showing over 50% of that userbase is under 30 in 2020.

They're reading western comics too - Raina Tegemeier isn't the juggernaut of the Bookscan charts for nothing. It's just that Marvel isn't great at marketing to a younger demographic, and seems to have largely decided it doesn't need to.

manga consumers who are mostly children and teenagers and would not agree with you.
    LOL.

What happens is that people now do not have as much interest in comics as in your times, I say you because I am still from a fairly young audience, it is a fact that manga sells much more than comics, and not because of a small margin.
    Worldwide, children and adolescents massively consume manga and very few comics, ironically I believe that those who consume the most comcis are mature people in the United States.
    also young people, but nowhere near the massive level of world interest that manga has.

Ultimate Member

Kids are reading.

What many do NOT understand is what kids like or would like or take interest in is NOT the same thing adults like or want to force them to like.

Manga & YA books does not have the drama magnets western comic tend to have.

No Manga or YA reader is going to have a stroke if they see an X-book with Synch in it or Vita writing it. They will either read it or ignore it.

Meanwhile in comics.....

That is why Shuri has a bunch of novels coming out versus a comic book series.

Tempus and Triage had a novel called Liberty & Justice NOT a comic book series.

Incredible Member

Especially when you have people running around demanding that the writers replace Karma's artificial leg. for cosmetic reasons.......

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Kids are reading.

What many do NOT understand is what kids like or would like or take interest in is NOT the same thing adults like or want to force them to like.

Manga & YA books does not have the drama magnets western comic tend to have.
    You've never read Rama 1/2,Sailor Moon,Ah!/Oh My Goddess or Domestic Na Kanojo have you?

Apparently Not.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Especially when you have people running around demanding that the writers replace Karma's artificial leg. for cosmetic reasons.......
    why the fuck do you keep bringing this up at me, when I have no concern or interest in Karma's legs.

Incredible Member

why the fuck do you keep bringing this up at me, when I have no concern or interest in Karma's legs.
    There's a reason why people aren't Reading western comics as you pointed out........