Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Image Comics staff form Union

Some interesting developments: Comic Book Workers United have announced the formation of a Union of Image Comics staff. I'm not well-versed in labor laws or history, but I wonder if this is the first proper Union in the (American) comics field?

Obviously in Hollywood the Unions and Guilds have a lot of sway over the Studios and Distributors, so it's no surprise to see similar attempts made in other entertainment industries such as the comics industry. On the creative talent side Image have always been strong proponents of creator rights and equity/ownership of IP. It'll be interesting to see if that people-centric approach extends to their production staff, too.

An excerpt from the Union's statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Workers United
    This should not be radical or revolutionary, and is, in fact, a natural development for a company that started the way Image Comics did.

In the early stages of organizing, we looked to Image's founders for inspiration. Their dreams of self-determination and more equitable treatment in the industry they loved and helped make successful are also our dreams. [...] we know that Image has, at its heart, a desire to be first when it comes to doing the right thing for comics workers.
    Image Comics have replied the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Image Comics
    "Image has always believed in the fair and equitable treatment of staff and has always strived to support employees to the best of our company's ability with regard to their employment."
    Sounds promising, although they don't explicitly say they recognize the Union yet. Let's see if Image will walk the talk and continue their people-centric approach to comics, and if so, whether it'll have any consequences for Marvel/DC in particular.
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 11-03-2021 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Corrections. I had misunderstood the Union to consist of artists etc. instead of publishing staff.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!