View Poll Results: Which (former) New Mutants deserves a better spotlight?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moonstar - Mirage

38 46.91%
  • Wolfsbane

11 13.58%
    21 25.93%
  • Cannonball

9 11.11%
  • Sunspot

21 25.93%
  • Magma

29 35.80%
  • Magik

17 20.99%
  • Cypher

10 12.35%
  • Warlock

9 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Karma, Magma, and Cypher.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The one who doesn't need it is Magik. She's had plenty. Sam and Bobby have had opportunities in Avengers (although I would not complain about them getting their own buddy comedy book). Magma, sure she can use some more spotlight, she's so powerful though how do they make her a workable character especially in a group dynamic. Wolfsbane had a great run in X-Factor, but I haven't been to thrilled with her turn in the current books. Cypher is getting some good showcasing as a side character throughout the line, even if he's not in the forefront. Warlock is so much wasted potential isn't not even funny.
    Mirage and Karma are the two I would pick though. They have power to showcase, immense personality. Both are capable of being frontline X-Men or even Avengers.

Magma-For someone who can move the Earth's tectonic plates she barely get's any play time. Magma also has an interesting backstory to play off of also.
    Moonstar-I need to spend some time with this character. Is she a valkyrie still? For as long as i've known her she has always been kind of forgettable personality wise.
    Cannonball-Deserves all the attention he gets! Would like some Shi'ar stories from him.

I'd say Magma and Karma.

Magma is often an afterthought when she should be a forerunner.

Karma has a lot of wasted potential. Even though she's been appearing regularly she's not getting much development.

Ah dammit, I didn't know Doug had a Scott Free/Big Barda thing going on with Bei the Blood Moon. There's so much I need to catch up with.

Surge which is the second generation of New Mutants deserves more spotlight.

Ultimate Member

Bird-Brain, Artie Maddicks and Bill the Lobster! (Just kidding.)

Sunspot, Karma and Dani Moonstar, definitely.

After moving over to X-Factor, I kind of thought Rahne was going to go farther, perhaps even become an Avenger, or a member of a British super-team like a new iteration of Excalibur or precursor to the Union. Cue some Jarvis snark, "Why do they keep sending us the furry mutants? It's hell on the vacuum..."

Mighty Member

By right, all the first generation of New Mutants should be at least B-listers by now.

I think only Cannonball has moved to B-lister X-Man, Magik has moved to A-lister being a captain and playing bigger roles.

Most of the others are still C-listers. Sunspot short-run as an Avenger doesn't count because no other writers have given him any prominent roles.

After all, the New Mutants were the third generation of X-Men.

1. First generation (original run) - Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Polaris, Havok

2. Second generation (all New X-Men) - Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Kate Pryde, Banshee, Rogue

3. Third generation (New Mutants Chris Claremont's run) - Mirage, Karma, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Sunspot, Magik, Magma, Warlock (?)
    Last edited by ericng; 11-07-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Dani should be an Avenger.
    Berto should be prominent in Krakoa.
    Illyana deserves all the love she’s gotten.
    Rictor is getting a good slow-burn rise that I hope continues.

I really like the capacity we’ve gotten Doug.

Rahne is an iconic NM, but I am okay with taking a break from her for a bit.
    Karma feels like a character written into a small box. I’d love to see someone expand the context in which she can be used, but as of right now I feel a bit ambivalent about her.
    I don’t know that I’ve ever liked Magma in her publication history except maybe briefly in Xtreme X-Men. She’s been pretty terrible in CC’s original run and Wells/DnA New Mutants; we don’t really need extra effort into another blonde New Mutant who hasn’t shown out after all this time. Just my opinion though.

People writing Magma badly is the primary issue she's been stilted. I've liked her at different points but it's not like she has a definitive story that's focused on her. She's by far the most powerful of the New Mutants but no one ever knows what to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    Surge which is the second generation of New Mutants deserves more spotlight.
    Awesome! Since the 2nd gen. from 2003/2004/2005 are allowed, my next choice would then be...

Wind-Dancer

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    People writing Magma badly is the primary issue she's been stilted. I've liked her at different points but it's not like she has a definitive story that's focused on her. She's by far the most powerful of the New Mutants but no one ever knows what to do with her.
    Magik is the one who is by far the most powerful of the New Mutants. Magma is a very distant second. In theory Warlock should also be more powerful than Magma, but no one wants to write him as having the power of an adult technarch, so he stays as he was in the old days.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Magik is the one who is by far the most powerful of the New Mutants. Magma is a very distant second. In theory Warlock should also be more powerful than Magma, but no one wants to write him as having the power of an adult technarch, so he stays as he was in the old days.
    Warlock's "Daddy" could tear a star apart with his bare hands and chuck it at you (and the planet you're on).
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-07-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MYCMTSC View Post
    I don’t know that I’ve ever liked Magma in her publication history except maybe briefly in Xtreme X-Men. She’s been pretty terrible in CC’s original run and Wells/DnA New Mutants; we don’t really need extra effort into another blonde New Mutant who hasn’t shown out after all this time. Just my opinion though.
    For three panels, before she washed off her indigenous makeup and turned out to be another blue-eyed blonde, she had potential, IMO.

The thought that Selene, bored of being more or less booted out of Rome, and it now being a distant memory, had created her own little faux Rome out of the local native people, including changing their appearance, the language they spoke, their customs and traditions, to suit her petty whims, making them pretty much aliens in their own country, never able to be 'rescued,' since they'd never known their own people, raised in her little faux Rome, was super-creepy, and could have made Amara almost militantly pro-mutant-identity, since she would have had no 'home' to return to.

Her entire culture was a lie, a fancy dress party to amuse a jaded immortal predator, so she had no identity to truly embrace but her new mutant family.

There's a story there, but it's kinda been lost in the weeds, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Magik is powerful, particularly due to her sorcery as her core mutant power is simply teleportation. However, I'd disagree that she's more powerful than Magma. She's more popular, sure. But Magma can manipulate the tectonic plates themselves. Theoretically, she could tear the planet apart through this. Magik couldn't match that.